Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From San Francisco

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:06 pm

glasseye wrote:
left handed kennedy wrote: If you want to find an American in a foreign country just listen for someone being loud and demanding. Most likely they're from the U.S.
Or France
Hey! That was my quote!

I was in Villafrance (sp?), France and everyone was very nice. Might be different in the city. Isn't Twinfalls French?
hambone wrote:I'll meet you in 12 hours where Cougar Creek meets the Roaring River. I'll bring the beer. Mebbe you can bring us some forest wives?
Ok I got some packin to do. See ya in a few.
I'll stick with the wife I have. Somehow "forest wives" doesn't sound appealing. I'm picturing a female Bigfoot.

Someday I'll live in the Costa Rican Rain Forest. I'll spend my days smoking jungle weed, listening to 60's Reggae and working on VW's. There are lots of American ex-pats there and it has a huge Reggae Scene. Especially on the eastern coast. I've worked with lot's of Ska & Reggae bands who's various members moved to Costa Rica or make it a long stop on their tours. They all say how beautiful it is and how nice the people are. Lot's of VWs too. Plus they don't have the hatred of whites (for the most part) that the rest of Central America has. Probably because they had nothing for us to rape and pillage them for. Gotta love us crackers!
Amskeptic wrote:Topic? Life. Proceed
You asked for it.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:34 pm

Sluggo wrote:Someday I'll live in the Costa Rican Rain Forest.
Not ALL of my soCal friends have gone north. One of them went to Costa Rica. He bought a house and married a local gal who kicked him out and changed the locks on their wedding day. She took the money and the house and because of local laws he can't do anything about it. :pale: Now he has to pay for a divorce, too, but can't get it for 2 years.

Whenever I feel sorry for myself I think of HIS story.
71 bus, 74 westy

bottomend
Hardliest Working Man In Show Business

Post by bottomend » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:24 pm

Just popped in here to look for Bob Costas info and found this thread. Very nice to read what Colin wrote. I'm in full aggreement. I've witnessed it here and elsewhere. This place just happens to have a high concentration of the behavior due to it's size.

I get sick to my stomach when I see a young mother/father kneeling down infront of their 2 year litterly ASKING what they want to eat " the pop tart or the popsicle"? and actually waiting for a response!!!! It's building a pattern that the little developing simply relishes. Gimme, gimme, gimme !!! Well, gimme a break! You hit the nail right on the head Colin. Bravo.

BTW, I'm getting my life back ( ie music), thats why I haven't been 'round here for a while. I still hang with Sluggo but VW's are not my priority at the moment.

72Hardtop
Old School!

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From San Francisco

Post by 72Hardtop » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:40 am

These days one has to go no further than Seattle to get a taste of Los Angeles.
1972 Westy tintop
2056cc T-4 - 7.8:1 CR
Weber 40mm Duals - 47.5idles, 125mains, F11 tubes, 190 Air corr., 28mm Vents
96mm AA Biral P/C's w/Hastings rings
42x36mm Heads (AMC- Headflow Masters) w/Porsche swivel adjusters
71mm Stroke
Web Cam 73 w/matched Web lifters
S&S 4-1 exhaust w/Walker 17862 quiet-pack
Pertronix SVDA w/Pertronix module & Flamethrower 40K coil (7* initial 28* total @3200+)
NGK BP6ET plugs
002 3 rib trans
Hankook 185R14's

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:55 am

72Hardtop wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:40 am
Sunshine . . . at least after 11 AM or so, LA has the sunshine.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

72Hardtop
Old School!

Post by 72Hardtop » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:39 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:55 am
72Hardtop wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:40 am
Sunshine . . . at least after 11 AM or so, LA has the sunshine.
Colin
Yes but I was referring more to the attitudes from people these days. So many have moved here from the LA region. They've brought their attitudes and habits with them.
1972 Westy tintop
71mm Stroke
Pertronix SVDA w/Pertronix module & Flamethrower 40K coil (7* initial 28* total @3200+)
NGK BP6ET plugs
002 3 rib trans
Hankook 185R14's

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:10 am

yes, first of all they can't drive worth a damn!!
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

72Hardtop
Old School!

Post by 72Hardtop » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:10 pm

That's depends....the daily LA commuter will easily rival a Seattle commuter. Just so happens that Seattle got ranked worst drivers In the nation.

LA is a town where one must learn to drive but more important with time drive defensively. Something Seattle drivers have begun to start dealing with.
1972 Westy tintop
71mm Stroke
NGK BP6ET plugs
002 3 rib trans
Hankook 185R14's

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:16 am

72Hardtop wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:10 pm
That's depends....the daily LA commuter will easily rival a Seattle commuter. Just so happens that Seattle got ranked worst drivers In the nation.

LA is a town where one must learn to drive but more important with time drive defensively. Something Seattle drivers have begun to start dealing with.

I trust Los Angeles drivers more than any other urban area of the country.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:50 am

Seattle has been installing red light camera's as fast as they can due to the idiots blowing thru red lights. argh..... Just got back from Montreal/Toronto and they have the worst drivers I have seen in a while, sheesh.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

sgkent
Addicted!

Post by sgkent » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:57 am

Sacramento is rated by the Insurance industry as having the worst drivers in the USA. I seem to recall Colin got rear ended here in the Bob D. It is a messy combination with Bay area speeders moving here but commuting to the Bay area to work, and also Bay area gamblers passing thru here on the way to Tahoe/Reno. It is not uncommon in the early morning between 2am and 6am to have cars pass you doing close to 115 - 120 MPH. Unless CHP has a traffic team working the I-80 North Sac corridor no CHP is out at that time watching for it. This has been happening more and more the last 4 or 5 years. Literally every morning if we leave at 5:40 instead of 6:00 am and take I-80 instead of the boulevard we will see the cars fly by us. The worst speeders all take I-80 across the top so they are headed towards the Bay area rather than downtown. Cathy and I no longer drive the I-80 corridor here if there is an alternate route. We witnessed the aftermath (like 1 to 3 minutes behind them) 7 fatalities in one work week in a one mile stretch of I-80. It was too dangerous in that area to pass thru it anymore. Too many people changing lanes trying to get ahead. FWIW I have driven many years in LA and I will take LA drivers any day. They seem to know that nothing other than just being patient will improve their drive time.
TBone208 wrote: "You ppl are such windbags. Go use your crystal ball to get rich & predict something meaningful. Nobody knows what's going to happen. How are we supposed to take ppl who don't know the definition of a recession & "woman" seriously?"

Merlin The Wrench