Florida Interlude Two

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Florida Interlude Two

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:38 am

Arrived at Weisswurst Farm & Implement Repair to find a Weisswurst employee repairing an implement, a newly acquired little runabout with three flat tires.

The old one sat forlornly drying out from a dunk in the lake. It bravely sports an attempt at styling. "Rakish," I say:

This visit was devoted to fixing the fuel gauge, come what may. What may sure came. But in the beginning, I was luxuriantly lazy in my ignorant innocence. Rather than diving into the Main Event, I lolled about the edges, clamping edges in fact, with Weldwood's finest 1970 Bus Headliner Cement:

Visited with the farm denizens. Said hi to the pigs, they have grown authoritatively more piggish. Said hello to the goats, the little one pranced towards me, warming my heart ( it must like me! ), and right on past towards some expected food source. It was moments after the above photograph was taken that Life On The Farm took a turn from bucolic to belligerent. See, that little adolescent rooster knew to keep his beak shut around the Big Rooster Boss, but here, today, his hormones overtook his common sense and the first crow issued forth from him. Then the other adolescent rooster took to his first crow. Man, things change always. The Weisswurst Farm & Implement employee takes the tires to be repaired. Look at that gorgeous double cab Vanagon in the middle of its day:

Oh yeah, the fuel gauge, the fuel gauge, I had to fix the fuel gauge. Dropped Naranja's engine four inches with the floor jack, and removed the fuel tank bulkhead. Appreciatively noted the newnewnew! decel valve connections and gleaming double relay spade terminals under the Fred The Oversprayer overspray. This bulkhead came out with a resounding pop because the right side of the vehicle has been displaced forward a good 1/4" from the impact that was highlighted in the battery tray replacement thread. I painted it with grey fillable primer followed by a few distant clearcoat sprays (the distance was to allow the paint to dry midflight on the way to the bulkhead so it wouldn't be grossly-too-glossy:

Oh yeah, the fuel gauge! Why doesn't the fuel gauge work? Here's the Naranja Westy as I approached the fuel gauge repair:

I saw only one wire attached to the fuel sender. That's it! I knew it! Fred The Oversprayer had pulled on the fuel sender-to-gauge wire and detached the connector. Found the connector and reattached the wire. Yay! I don't have to deal with crusty varnished corroded senders and seals!

( I am taking victory photographs here, idiotiam )

Asked Jeff to turn on the ignition and tell me all about how much fuel is in the tank. " . . . . . . . ," he said. Well hell's bells. Went to the gauge and re-checked electrical supply and continuity. It was all fine. I guess the sender really did get terminally glopped and crudded up in that grossly varnished fuel tank. Removed the crusty sender unit carefully across the top of the tank and out into the light:

The arm was well and truly stuck and you could see the varnish line on the float where the fuel had evaporated away slowly over its twenty year sit. Yay! A little WD-40 and freeing up the arm, and it will be as good as new! Enjoyed a nice dinner with the gracious and hospitable Weisswurst Farm & Implement Repair family, then excused myself to go enjoy my now-functional fuel gauge.
"Is it going to be a late night?" asked Mrs. Weisswurst Farm & Implement Repairperson?
"No, it'll be easy," said the ignorant Innocent.
Put the now free sender in the tank, buttoned it up, turned on the ignition and the fuel gauge was as it ever was with the needle buried hard left past the reserve mark. Now what? Damn sender is clearly toast. Everything is apart. I am in Florida. I will not leave this Garden of Guinea Hens gaugeless, I will not. It is late. I am tired. Tore apart the sender. Damn. I see a burnt off plastic-with-rivet end to the impossibly thin winding wire. The little copper buss bar over to the positive terminal of the sender was just laying there in crud. It is hopeless.What was I EXPECTING? Duh. Really. Probably burnt right off when I first turned on the ignition on October 4th. How the heck do I repair such a thin wire riveted to a burnt off piece of plastic and how do I what? solder it?? to the terminal? Stupid bugs. What's that itch? I am ready to flog myself with an extension cord . . .

Four hours later, I have:
a) unwound three turns of the sender winding wire
b) knotted one end of this new extended wire into a slot cut into the plastic board so that the windings remain tight on the board (if the wire were to loosen, the float sweeper would rip them into a mangled mess of tangled jumble)
c) cut a double slot into the terminal end that juts into the tank and wrapped the free end of the wire around the double-cut terminal
d) all of the above all over again when the damn wire snapped - at this point, we have stolen four loops of sender wire off the board:

Now we have a neck ache, a back ache, a right hip ache, a halogen light burn on my right arm, and an even more hopeless attitude,
"this stupid f**ker is never going to f**kin work in a f**kin million years, give it up!"

Turned on the ignition. Fuel gauge needle moved for the first time in twenty years. Dayam.

Calibrated the Itinerant Air-Cooled Hack Rebuilt Fuel Sender Unit:

Oh yes, ladies and gentlemen, this gauge goes to just a whisker past the full mark and glides smoothly down to the left side of the reserve red.
Don't worry, I am yet to be punished for resurrecting the dead.

Next day, Mr. Smug Aren't I A Genius? attacks the driver's door rust behind the door seal:

Tried out the new Five Can Paint Recipe:

Painted the underneath fuel tank bulkhead screws just like the BobD had:

Reconditioned and painted the engine hangers. Don't you like to see the reflection of your ratchet in the engine hangers? I do:

Re-installed the engine compartment bits, used dielectric grease on all electrical terminals all polished nicely, especially the heater blower and double relay/series resistors. Very much more BobD-esque now:

"Step ASIDE, I shall go fill up the gas tank," I smugly told these very nice farmers. Filled the gas tank to the first "click off" of the dispensor at the local station. Drove home with a "full" reading on my gas gauge, because I am perfect. Pulled into the building.
"What the *@%! is that pouring liquid sound??"
Fuel. From a fuel hose. Cut almost in half when the engine sagged due to my failing jack.
Drank beer with Farmer Jeff and replaced the fuel hose. Only slightly humbled, I left for Jacksonville the next morning with my new fuel gauge proudly reading "full", then, after some time of perfect motoring, "half".

Stopped at a filling station in Gainesville FL. Let's see if it takes exactly one half of the tank's capacity, seeing as, after all, it is at "half" on the gauge. That would be 7.35 gallons, I believe. And the dispensor clicked at 7.1. And I added just a dollop. And that guy said,
"Hey BUDDY, YOU'RE LOSING GAS ALL OVER THE PLACE!"
I sat there for thirty minutes, waiting for the gas flood to evaporate before I could even think about starting the car. I bet it was that little thought I had back at the farm. I had back then thought, "this sender sure did turn and lock mighty easily on the tank."
MR. Perfect, I think, may not have the seal on correctly . . . .
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Re: Florida Interlude Two

Post by Bleyseng » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:46 am

Shit, that is scary!
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

energyturtle
Getting Hooked!

Post by energyturtle » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:04 pm

That is scary. I've been there, done that. I don't know what was more nerve rattling. Starting a brand new engine for the first time, or starting it for the 100th time with gasoline everywhere. Never a dull moment =D>

Scottie

Ronin10
Getting Hooked!

Post by Ronin10 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:50 am

Missed fuel sender seal? Yep. Been there myself.

I've also suffered spilled gas due to the 90 deg boot inside the filler opening being cracked. And every few weeks, I end up struggling with the bellows on with a gas station's pump, get the angle not quite right, and get some back splash down the side of Greta. I truly appreciate bellows-less fuel pumps and the more hook-nosed the better.
Oscar: 1976 Sage Green Bus, Stock Motor, Solid Lifters, Manual Transaxle

Boxcar
Addicted!

Post by Boxcar » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:17 am

The "Mr Perfect" in all of us deserves a beat down. Not very hopeful in ever escaping his visits myself.
I venture to add that what is being driven is a flash multiplier of Mr Perfect's personal appearance propensity. These Busses are just damn fun and therefore bekon he without flaw.
I read with much investment, since I didn't calibrate before installing this busses sender..As always when fueling I look so needily (yes it's a needle)so Mr IMPerfectly, at the indicator which nearly gets a full visit from the indicator pointer.
Plenty of legroom in the reserve area is my temporary placation attempt.
Sooo, Iterant one, how did you remedy after clicking off at 7.1 gal?
1975 003 Auto Westy L90D

repair!!!!aug2015
Jan/16 Bumped mixture a few notches richer. finally developing HP.

1.8L/LJet/Pertron DVDA+PertronixCompufire 42/36Ham Heads/AA 93mm pistons/barrels.Porsc.Swiv.Adjusters/CromoSteel pushrds/ Web 9550Cam/55cc chmbr.,035 squish,8.6:1CR/German Supply VWCanadaReman Rods/Schadek 26mmPump/vdo dualOP8/10#low sender/Quart Deep Sump
Backdate Htr bxs,reflanged 914 4into1. Two and three eighths inch collector,magniflow*muffler

Boxcar
Addicted!

Post by Boxcar » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:21 am

So, decanting 15gallons, dropping the engine4"at the fuel depot?
1975 003 Auto Westy L90D

repair!!!!aug2015

1.8L/LJet/Pertron DVDA+PertronixCompufire 42/36Ham Heads/AA 93mm pistons/barrels.Porsc.Swiv.Adjusters/CromoSteel pushrds/ Web 9550Cam/55cc chmbr.,035 squish,8.6:1CR/German Supply VWCanadaReman Rods/Schadek 26mmPump/vdo dualOP8/10#low sender/Quart Deep Sump
Backdate Htr bxs,reflanged 914 4into1. Two and three eighths inch collector,magniflow*muffler

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:06 am

Boxcar wrote:So, decanting 15gallons, dropping the engine4"at the fuel depot?
Naw, I decanted about a pint behind the gas station. I thought, "with all of this extra fuel, what a good opportunity to clean the fuel filter but good." So I cleaned the fuel filter but good on a parking lot that had just been repaved but good so it transferred great quantities of fresh black asphalt to my ratty tank top but good.

Drove gently for about fifty miles to let the tank level recede without too much splash. Have been driving ever since with just eight gallon fill-ups from the quarter mark.
Colin :blackeye:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Boxcar
Addicted!

Post by Boxcar » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:11 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Have been driving ever since with just eight gallon fill-ups from the quarter mark.
Nice.
Just the kind of extrawork mitigation I appreciate.
1975 003 Auto Westy L90D

repair!!!!aug2015

white74westy
I'm New!

Post by white74westy » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Boxcar wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
Have been driving ever since with just eight gallon fill-ups from the quarter mark.
Nice.
Just the kind of extrawork mitigation I appreciate.
I'm pretty sure I asked a similar question, after a recent (Naranja) break-down, that I was party to. Did y'all know "Amskeptic" can be somewhat stubborn??? :bootyshake:

Boxcar
Addicted!

Post by Boxcar » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:14 pm

Yes
1975 003 Auto Westy L90D

repair!!!!aug2015

sgkent
Addicted!

Post by sgkent » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:41 am

those big o-ring seals often leak after being removed and re-installed. Ran into it several times on my CJ-7. Now I just keep a spare on hand in case the sender needs to come out.
TBone208 wrote: "You ppl are such windbags. Go use your crystal ball to get rich & predict something meaningful. Nobody knows what's going to happen. How are we supposed to take ppl who don't know the definition of a recession & "woman" seriously?"

Merlin The Wrench

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:16 pm

white74westy wrote:
Boxcar wrote: Did y'all know "Amskeptic" can be somewhat stubborn??? :bootyshake:
Shut the front door! Colin, stubborn?

Hurtful to him, I'm sure..

lol
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Boxcar
Addicted!

Post by Boxcar » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:55 pm

sgkent wrote:those big o-ring seals often leak after being removed and re-installed. Ran into it several times on my CJ-7. Now I just keep a spare on hand in case the sender needs to come out.
Hey!! SG Kent long time no see/read.
I also am realizing the troubles with those sender o rings. Worse when the sender is in the path of water,as is the case with a C30 box truck which adopted me.
1975 003 Auto Westy L90D

repair!!!!aug2015

sgkent
Addicted!

Post by sgkent » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:05 am

Yes - water ugg. Bad gas - make the engine run like a kill switch has been flipped.

I dropped by trying to get what-is-his-name's attention. You know - the guy whose new focus in life is his orange what do they call those things ~ Westphalia campers? I offered him one to two days work plus food and all the coffee he wanted then he ignored me again. So I came by here thinking if I bad mouthed him he'd show some signs of life. So here is my best shot at bad mouthing him -> Colin, you have deeply frustrated Bob D, and Chloe by paying so much attention to your new love Naranja. They feel cast off. What are you thinking? They need loving too.
TBone208 wrote: "You ppl are such windbags. Go use your crystal ball to get rich & predict something meaningful. Nobody knows what's going to happen. How are we supposed to take ppl who don't know the definition of a recession & "woman" seriously?"

Merlin The Wrench

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:04 am

sgkent wrote:your new love Naranja.
I get the sense that whatever is driving Colin to perform the miracles he is achieving with Naranja, it isn't love.

Outrage, perhaps. :angryfire:
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett