New year resolutions.. Drinking too much.. nuts.

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Re: New year resolutions.. Drinking too much.. nuts.

Post by glasseye » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:11 pm

I had an interesting discussion today with a friend. We were talking about exercise bikes and I mentioned that mine displayed watts generated and how depressing it was to see how hard you have to work to make 100W.

She said that her son had fabricated an electrical connection that allowed him to charge his cellphone directly from his exercise bike. I think that is incredibly cool. Oh! The karma!
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

misszora
IAC Addict!

Post by misszora » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:58 pm

More hooping!
Miss Zora - '77 VW Riviera Hard Top Campmobile
Dharma Bug - '69 VW Bug
The Vandejo - '74 VW Westfalia Poptop (former mom)

Emily's Owner
Old School!

Post by Emily's Owner » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:08 pm

Walking - that's what I stopped doing and damned if I haven't gained all the weight back that I lost a few years ago (it also helps get me not to be so depressed, so I REALLY need to start again).

We'll have to throw a big Maypril birthday celebration for you Wayne to welcome you to the 50 club.
Margaret

Lead me not into temptation...... Oh hell, who are we kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut.

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:21 pm

Ha!! Well so far in the new year things are going well. I've run at least a mile every day (all three days) and am not planning on drinking alcohol until my Jackson Browne concert on 1/19. I've already dropped three pounds. I used to do fine losing weight during the week, but then gained it back on the weekends with lots of beers and good food. I finally started looking at it in a different way. It's like trying to walk to Seattle.. and during the week, you walk and run and get as far as Vancouver. Then on the weekend, a taxi takes you back to Beaverton and Monday you start all over again. Fine if you want to stay at the same weight. Not good if you're Obese and trying to make it in to the "just fat" category. Well I'm also a realist and I know I can do this and the only thing stopping me will be me. At the breaking point the decision will be, do I want to lose weight more than having fun and living life. Hopefully I can find a middle ground where I can do both. Thanks all for your words!!!!!

Margaret.. my other strategy is running or walking a mile EVERY day of the new year. It's good because a mile is super easy and usually once you get started, you will go longer. So far 8.75 miles in three days for me.
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

http://www.partypickle.blogspot.com

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:46 am

Way to go Wayne! I am still on my holiday binge but I go back soon and I'll but back on my exercise program. Tonight was my last goodie at Starbucks...I think Colin loves these too.
Attachments
lemoncake.jpg
lemoncake.jpg (17.26 KiB) Viewed 3318 times
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:37 am

Wayne- Please be sure you do some stretches before you run and get your muscles and joints warmed up. Think about cross training too. Running is good. Daily running not so good. Maybe a day on a bike followed with a run day

Edited to add. Thought I should clarify. Daily running, even when you aren't running distance, can set you up for shin splints particularly when you've just started running. So will not having decent running shoes. Try not to run on concrete either. A high school track is a great surface to run on if you have access to one. Some runners say trail running offers the best running situation because you have so many different foot positions instead of constant pounding. I had shin splints a couple of years ago. They hurt like hell.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:37 pm

Bleyseng wrote:Starbucks...I think Colin loves these too.
Yes, but . . . my revulsion to chirrupy Christmas toons drove me screaming into the arms of my new love
. . . Panera Cinnamon Rolls.

which I now have to avoid due to my own galloping obesity epidemic, just hit 168#
Colin :tongue:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:19 pm

shit, that's my target weight and I have 5lbs to lose. I'll do that in February easy....swim one day, run 1.5k the next and lay off the beer and coke. Thank god there isn't a Starbucks or anything with goodies like they have there where I am going. Wayne, come on down!! Bet you can lose 10 lbs in a month there sweating in 90+ heat.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:35 pm

IFBwax wrote:Well so far in the new year things are going well.
How 'bout now?
Colin

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:39 am

Not one drop of alcohol yet. Trying to make it to Jackson Browne concert on the 19th. I have run all eight days and up to 21 miles for year. Down 4 pounds to 213. Was 230 6 months ago.
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

http://www.partypickle.blogspot.com

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:10 pm

I am trying a new credo of only drinking beer with friends, so far it has helped.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:13 pm

hambone wrote:I am trying a new credo of only drinking beer with friends, so far it has helped.
That is all I have ever done, Hambone. Only at Maupin/LuckyLab/your back yard, in fact. I cannot crack open a beer without people goading me on.
Colin :drunken:

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:54 pm

It's the hops, they keep screaming at me. And let's not forget that frog-chorus of malt, croaking from the yeast. A Swamp.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

vistacruzer
IAC Addict!

Post by vistacruzer » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:56 pm

I'll be 52 this year and working out so I stop hurting my back. should help with the belly. I had to change my eating habits sense I was not cutting down on the beer. Eat big in the morning heathy not stuffed for lunch and very light in the after noon before 5pm. then beer. In the last 2 years I went from 3 breakfasts 4:30am 6:30am 8:30am and big plates to 1 at 8:30. Are we dieting at the campout next month? Should i leave the homebrew at home? And Wayne you will hurt yourself if you do not rest your body.
I was a long distance runner till I crushed my foot. Run 2 take a day off run 2 take 2 off. in 3 or 4 months add a day/days. just my advice don't want you to have to stop the great trend. =D>
71 bench 1915
70 wide lowered body rag top 2056 type4 DTM nothing stock if I could touch it.
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:29 am

hambone wrote:It's the hops, they keep screaming at me. And let's not forget that frog-chorus of malt, croaking from the yeast. A Swamp.
Beer will never taste the same . . . :colors: