Bus starts then dies

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

mentalQtip
Addicted!

Bus starts then dies

Post by mentalQtip » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:56 pm

Ok. '77 2 liter fuel injected bus. Lately I had noticed that my bus had developed a stumble when starting from a stop. As it picked up rpm it would suddenly pick up power until I shifted again. Looking back I realize that overall power was down also. Yesterday it started to die on me when I left the rpm drop. Today I went out to check the timing(was about 3 degrees BTDC), adjusted to about 8, went to start it and it started ok but lasted about 5 seconds and died. Started easily again and died. Lasts about 5 seconds.
Before when I had something like this it turned out to be a vacuum hose loose but I can't find anything loose now. I'm thinking, "what could I have done while adjusting the timing?"
I'm at a loss. Any thoughts?

bajaman72
Addicted!

Re: Bus starts then dies

Post by bajaman72 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:35 pm

Adjust the points first.. then set timing. Points that are off will affect timing.
1968 Karmann Ghia - Driver
1969 Transporter - Project
1959 Karmann Ghia - Full Race Car

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:55 pm

bajaman72 wrote:Adjust the points first.. then set timing. Points that are off will affect timing.
2nd. It is the starting point.

mentalQtip
Addicted!

Post by mentalQtip » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:08 pm

ok. Checked the points at .016. Timing is 7.5 BTDC. Still starts easy and dies after about 5 seconds. The fact that it dies after running suggests to me a fuel delivery problem, right? What else could it be?
As I said in the first post, first noticed a stumble, some power loss, then started to die when I let the rpm drop, and now won't keep running at all, even when I try to give more gas.

Possible fuel delivery problem? Maybe a vacuum leak?

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:46 am

I am only on here for a second today, but go over here and look at what they suggest....

http://manuals.type4.org/ljet/
79 VW Bus

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:54 am

Are you sure the 90 degree rubber elbow air hose for the aux air regulator is OK? These are hard to see and if they split or break, you'll have the symptoms you describe.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:50 am

Have you checked with the AFM wiper to make sure that the fuel pump power is switching over successfully. You might just be getting that initial spray from the cold start valve and that is it.

soulful66
Addicted!

Post by soulful66 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:42 pm

vwlover77 wrote:Are you sure the 90 degree rubber elbow air hose for the aux air regulator is OK? These are hard to see and if they split or break, you'll have the symptoms you describe.
+1 0n this, I had the problem and this was the cause.
Regards,
john
'72 westy 3TC
'73 westy 1700 dual solex
'79 westy 2000 F.I.

mentalQtip
Addicted!

Post by mentalQtip » Tue May 03, 2011 5:08 pm

Since I am very intimidated by the fuel injection part of this, I replaced the dual relay just because it was easy and I had a spare. Fired right up and idled fine. I drove it and it ran crappy so I checked the timing again (ooops) set it at 7.5 BTDC and it ran great.
Feel guilty that I didn't do any proper diagnosis.
Thanks to all for the input.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue May 03, 2011 5:24 pm

mentalQtip wrote:Since I am very intimidated by the fuel injection part of this, I replaced the dual relay just because it was easy and I had a spare. Fired right up and idled fine. I drove it and it ran crappy so I checked the timing again (ooops) set it at 7.5 BTDC and it ran great.
Feel guilty that I didn't do any proper diagnosis.
Thanks to all for the input.
Don't feel too bad. Part swapping was how I discovered my series resistor was bad. In theory, proper problem solving is the way, in my case it was an intermittent problem that kept leaving me SOL in the middle of busy intersections... Finally, it happened where I could run home and swap out probable bad parts, and voila problem solved.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri May 06, 2011 8:28 am

chitwnvw wrote:Finally, swap out probable bad parts.
Ouch, baby, ouch.
Headmaster
Itinerant Air-Cooled Academy
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

fractal_man
I'm New!

Post by fractal_man » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:47 am

Right on the nose for me with the vacuum leak at the 90 degree fitting. Thanks to all you folks who post this valuable information.