WTB: Used tranny in PDX town

Sell all your Type IV Engine parts here.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic, bretski

Maz804
Getting Hooked!

WTB: Used tranny in PDX town

Post by Maz804 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:03 pm

WTB: My friend just purchased a really sweet bus that I found for him... (actually for myself but I couldn't readily afford... :blackeye: ) on PDX craigslist that was up for about 24 hours. It's a nice 1978 ASI in great shape body, engine, interior, camper etc... except the tranny is shot. All for $800.
We're looking for a used 6 rib that'll get him rolling down the road. He's got a $200 - $300 or so to put into a tranny.
Once that thing is rolling it's about a $4500 bus from what I've been seeing on these ads lately!
Please let us know if any of you guys get a line on one that you're not after yourself!
Thanks!
:drunken:

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:33 pm

Oh!!!! Haahahahahah. Was it brown with stripes on one door? We've been following that one.

http://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?t=3089
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

Maz804
Getting Hooked!

Post by Maz804 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:55 pm

Oh yes that's the one!
My roots are in Oregon City, but I live up on Whidbey Island, so I have friends down in the Portland town (I'll actually be down there this weekend to see the New Riders of the Purple Sage @ the Aladdin with pops..!)
I love busses and I recently turned my friend on to my 1979 westy that I fixed up for summer cruisin. I rebuilt the 2 liter, got brakes, Nankang 185 R14C 8 ply tires, and outfitted the interior new wood headliner, new canvas for the poptop, some fiberglass and rattlecan tan spray paint for the rear qtr panel, and a bumper from a '71 bolted to a 2x4 (until I can get a couple straight bumpers for it!) Dual battery relay and inverter, radios, GPS, and the works using a lot of the write ups that others did from the Samba, and rolled up and down the Washington Oregon coast for 2 weeks with my dogs and friends and had a blast!
So he's got the bug... Or actualy, yes, he's got that bus.
It looked great on Craigslist and certainly worth the $800 if it checked out okay.
Funny thing though, the lady Katharine, would not give me her number so I could come over with cash and take it home with me NOW!
I don't have the net at home so I use my PDA phone which I set up to retrieve email but it doesn't retrieve the email in the bulk folder, which is where her reply went into!
** CRAIGSLIST ADVISORY --- AVOID SCAMS BY DEALING LOCALLY
** Avoid: wiring money, cross-border deals, work-at-home
** Beware: cashier checks, money orders, escrow, shipping
** More Info: http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html

Hello!
My friend is interested in your bus but there is no phone number for him to reach you at, so I'm emailing you for him.
He's located in Portland, so he's local.
His name is Craig and you can reach him at 503-xxx-xxxx. He has the day off work so he's available anytime.
Thanks!
Michael
To which she replied:
We will gladly send the address to anyone requesting it. The response is much too great for us to be able to call and engage in phone interviews with all interested parties. We are always home and available. First cash takes no holds. Thank you for your intrest.
After many hours of asking my friend if she'd called, and him saying "Hell no! We gotta track this B!@tch down!" :pirate:
I then said:
What is your address? Since you won't give me your number... I can come to your house right now with $$$.
Thanks!
Michael Winter
-Whidbey Island-
-Washington-
And FINALLY:
xxxx SE 59th Portland 97206 No need to email again.
Now, I haven't seen the bus with my very own eyes, but I'm bringing my camera and I'll be going over "bus ownership 101" with him and getting him set up on the IAC and other forums to get him started.
This sunday btw, come one come all! We'll start early! :drunken:
But yeah, a tranny would be great!

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:57 pm

Well good luck with that bus. We were all wondering if it really existed with the responses we were getting from "Mr. Cobain" in the above link. We figured there had to be more to the story with him only asking $800 and then $600 for a bus that looked to be in great shape other than the shifting problem. What exactly is the tranny doing? It may just be a simple linkage problem. Something to check out before shelling out cash for a new tranny.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

Maz804
Getting Hooked!

Post by Maz804 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:02 am

Yeah Thanks Westy78, I'll definitely look into that, although though most I've ever done with a tranny is change gear oil, the rear square bushing thing and TO bearing... This should be fun!
I'll have bentley in hand, but not sure if the IAC will be readily available to us.
In any case, I'll make sure we get an introduction to you guys about our new friend and fellow savior of yet another baywindow bus!
Thanks again and I really can't wait to get back down to Portland to meet all you clowns and get involved with your local bus scene.
Your friend,
Bozo the clown...
:flower:
"I love the curves man... Early Bays got the curves..."

1970 Riviera: Ramona
1969 Safare Camper: Lucy - reduced to parts
1971 Deluxe Transporter: Miles - sold
1963 Bug - sold
1973 Squareback - sold
1979 Westfalia - sold
1967 Bug - sold
1971 Westfalia - sold