Help! I'm in love (underside pictures added)

All Porsche 911's, 912's & 914's.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

covelo
Old School!

Help! I'm in love (underside pictures added)

Post by covelo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:42 am

Does anyone live near San Luis Obispo? Every two years or so I go through an "I want a Porsche" phase and I am very intrigued by this 1968 912 on the Samba:

Any thoughts?
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:24 am

I don't think any other car could be more California.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:34 am

Wow.. that's a 1968? Beauty. Their bodies didn't change a whole lot did they? To me that could be a 70s 80s or 90s Porsche.
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

http://www.partypickle.blogspot.com

dhoch14
Old School!

Post by dhoch14 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:37 am

one word:

HUMMER

0 city, 1 highway
93 VW T4 2.4D Cali

hambone

Post by hambone » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:07 pm

Sure looks like a type1. How many cylinders?

dhoch14
Old School!

Post by dhoch14 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:37 pm

hambone wrote:Sure looks like a type1. How many cylinders?
droools
93 VW T4 2.4D Cali

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:26 pm

hambone wrote:Sure looks like a type1. How many cylinders?
It's a 1600cc 4-cylinder engine which, according to Wikipedia, makes 90hp and gets up to 30mpg! I wonder how hard these engines are to maintain. Would Colin be able to teach me how to do it? I would really like to continue being able to avoid mechanics.

hambone

Post by hambone » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:41 pm

If you can fix your '72 then you can fix that thing.

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:44 pm

Chick magnet!!!!

don't tell your wife...
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:57 pm

covelo wrote: It's a 1600cc 4-cylinder engine which, according to Wikipedia, makes 90hp and gets up to 30mpg! I wonder how hard these engines are to maintain. Would Colin be able to teach me how to do it? I would really like to continue being able to avoid mechanics.
That is a beautiful car, the original 912 had the engine supplied to the 356 Porsche (the 1976 912 had the Type 4 engine!)

Be forewarned, however, that the '68 Porsche 911/912 had the short wheelbase and the diabolical reputation for letting go ass-before-tea kettle if you lifted off in a turn. Treat them with attentive respect. But a more beautiful reliable simple essential sportscar, you cannot find.
Colin

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:27 am

A couple of pictures of (minor?) rust. Any thoughts?

hambone

Post by hambone » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:13 pm

Underneath looks good, although I'd still POR15 the suface rust. Those side bubbles aren't so hot though. That needs to be dealt with and the car repainted.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:50 pm

Minor. Minor minor minor. Nonetheless, scold the owner and negotiate the repaint off the asking price. If it is a metallic, you will be looking at a full repaint. If it is solid, you can touch up and color sand. You do want to dig in deep and make the insides and underneath look as good as the surface. I would not be selling a car that looked so piggy in the trunk. My '71 911 had two batteries in each fender well. Good for electrical system, even better for weight balance. Have you driven it? Dogleg first gear? No crunches? Throttle lever next to the handbrake? I loved that feature with my 911. I could "set" the engine drop between gears and shift fast and smooth.
Colin

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:59 pm

Amskeptic wrote:Nonetheless, scold the owner and negotiate the repaint off the asking price. If it is a metallic, you will be looking at a full repaint. If it is solid, you can touch up and color sand. You do want to dig in deep and make the insides and underneath look as good as the surface. I would not be selling a car that looked so piggy in the trunk. My '71 911 had two batteries in each fender well. Good for electrical system, even better for weight balance. Have you driven it? Dogleg first gear? No crunches? Throttle lever next to the handbrake? I loved that feature with my 911. I could "set" the engine drop between gears and shift fast and smooth.
Colin
Will do (the scolding). It is metallic, so that will be expensive. I haven't seen or driven it. Thinking of driving down there on Monday. I think I may be able to pick it up for $10k with the bodywork. The problem is finding someone here who can do a decent job with the bodywork and paint without it costing an arm and a leg. Maybe I need to talk to Willy in Portland. He does nice work I hear. Would be a nice drive too. I could do a reverse Southwest or Alaska trip PDX-SJC-PDX between dropoff and pickup.

By the way, the guy seems to be a dealer. Even more nice pictures here. He even has a 1972 westfalia for sale:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:09 pm

covelo wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:Nonetheless, scold the owner and negotiate the repaint off the asking price. If it is a metallic, you will be looking at a full repaint. If it is solid, you can touch up and color sand. You do want to dig in deep and make the insides and underneath look as good as the surface. I would not be selling a car that looked so piggy in the trunk. My '71 911 had two batteries in each fender well. Good for electrical system, even better for weight balance. Have you driven it? Dogleg first gear? No crunches? Throttle lever next to the handbrake? I loved that feature with my 911. I could "set" the engine drop between gears and shift fast and smooth.
Colin
Will do (the scolding). It is metallic, so that will be expensive. I haven't seen or driven it. Thinking of driving down there on Monday. I think I may be able to pick it up for $10k with the bodywork. The problem is finding someone here who can do a decent job with the bodywork and paint without it costing an arm and a leg. Maybe I need to talk to Willy in Portland. He does nice work I hear. Would be a nice drive too. I could do a reverse Southwest or Alaska trip PDX-SJC-PDX between dropoff and pickup.

By the way, the guy seems to be a dealer. Even more nice pictures here. He even has a 1972 westfalia for sale:
That is the quintessential Porsche 911. Hie thee to a driving school if you get it. I am very sorry that I wrecked mine. I could not catch the snap-oversteer avoiding a drunk. Had I been schooled, and had my passenger not screamed like a little girl. . .
Colin