Fun in a 914/6GT

All Porsche 911's, 912's & 914's.

Moderators: Amskeptic, Sluggo

Post Reply
User avatar
Bleyseng
IAC Addict!
Location: Seattle again
Contact:
Status: Offline

Fun in a 914/6GT

Post by Bleyseng » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:53 am

Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Status: Offline

Re: Fun in a 914/6GT

Post by Amskeptic » Thu May 05, 2016 5:11 pm

Bleyseng wrote:youtu.be/sMcbeAzBspE
I love the sound of a Porsche flat six.

This poseur isn't double-clutching . . . :blackeye: he's just blipping the throttle, phooey.
Colin :flower:
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .111,130 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,787 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 93,996 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,510 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 72,113 miles

User avatar
Bleyseng
IAC Addict!
Location: Seattle again
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Fun in a 914/6GT

Post by Bleyseng » Thu May 05, 2016 9:02 pm

Poseur? hahahahah
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Status: Offline

Re: Fun in a 914/6GT

Post by Amskeptic » Sun May 08, 2016 4:50 pm

Bleyseng wrote:Poseur? hahahahah
Yeah, you like that? I gots more.
You think I care that he won Le Mans and blah blah blah (like who DOESN'T have a Le Mans winner in the house) ?
Colin :cyclopsani:
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .111,130 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,787 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 93,996 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,510 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 72,113 miles

User avatar
asiab3
IAC Addict!
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Fun in a 914/6GT

Post by asiab3 » Sun May 08, 2016 6:23 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Bleyseng wrote:Poseur? hahahahah
Yeah, you like that? I gots more.
You think I care that he won Le Mans and blah blah blah (like who DOESN'T have a Le Mans winner in the house) ?
Colin :cyclopsani:
I stumbled on a documentary of your uncle Phil last month- some serious credentials there! I would have loved to have been alive during the "dangerous" years of motorsports. (Not that they aren't still dangerous…)

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
100k miles with me.
279k miles on Earth.

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Status: Offline

Re: Fun in a 914/6GT

Post by Amskeptic » Sun May 08, 2016 6:47 pm

asiab3 wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
Bleyseng wrote:Poseur? hahahahah
Yeah, you like that? I gots more.
You think I care that he won Le Mans and blah blah blah (like who DOESN'T have a Le Mans winner in the house) ?
Colin :cyclopsani:
I stumbled on a documentary of your uncle Phil last month- some serious credentials there! I would have loved to have been alive during the "dangerous" years of motorsports. (Not that they aren't still dangerous…)

Robbie
Racing is less-dangerous now than just getting to work is for the rest of us.

When Phil was driving, thirty six drivers got killed on the track during his career from 1950-1967, some were team mates like Eugenio Castellotti, Ricardo Rodrigues, Luigi Musso, and Wolfgang von Trips, some were ex-team mates like Jean Behra, some were friends/co-drivers like Peter Collins, several more got killed in street accidents, like his friend Peter Hawthorne. The names go on . . . .
Colin
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .111,130 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,787 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 93,996 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,510 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 72,113 miles

User avatar
Bleyseng
IAC Addict!
Location: Seattle again
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Fun in a 914/6GT

Post by Bleyseng » Sun May 08, 2016 8:40 pm

Hurley Haywood (born May 4, 1948) is an American race-car driver. He is said to be America's most decorated endurance driver in history. Hurley has won multiple events, including five overall victories at the Rolex 24 at Daytona, three at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, and two at the 12 Hours of Sebring. He is credited with the 1988 Trans-Am title, two IMSA GT Championship titles and 23 wins, three Norelco Cup championships, a SuperCar title and 18 IndyCar starts.

He won the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1977 (Porsche 936), 1983 (Porsche 956) and 1994 (Dauer 962 Le Mans) and is tied as the most successful driver at the 24 Hours of Daytona with 5 wins (1973, 1975, 1977, 1979, and 1991).[1] He won the 12 Hours of Sebring in 1973 and 1981. He also drove in the 1980 Indianapolis 500 finishing 18th. He represented IMSA four times in the International Race of Champions (1986, 1989, 1992, 1995).[2] In 1970, he was drafted into the Vietnam War where he served as Specialist 4. After completing his tour of duty, he won his first IMSA GT title in 1971.[3]
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Status: Offline

Re: Fun in a 914/6GT

Post by Amskeptic » Mon May 09, 2016 5:25 am

Bleyseng wrote:Hurley Haywood (born May 4, 1948) is an American race-car driver. He is said to be America's most decorated endurance driver in history. Hurley has won multiple events, including five overall victories at the Rolex 24 at Daytona, three at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, and two at the 12 Hours of Sebring. He is credited with the 1988 Trans-Am title, two IMSA GT Championship titles and 23 wins, three Norelco Cup championships, a SuperCar title and 18 IndyCar starts.

He won the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1977 (Porsche 936), 1983 (Porsche 956) and 1994 (Dauer 962 Le Mans) and is tied as the most successful driver at the 24 Hours of Daytona with 5 wins (1973, 1975, 1977, 1979, and 1991).[1] He won the 12 Hours of Sebring in 1973 and 1981. He also drove in the 1980 Indianapolis 500 finishing 18th. He represented IMSA four times in the International Race of Champions (1986, 1989, 1992, 1995).[2] In 1970, he was drafted into the Vietnam War where he served as Specialist 4. After completing his tour of duty, he won his first IMSA GT title in 1971.[3]

Cut-N-Paste, Cut-N-Paste, but what do *you* think?
Mad Skillz or just an old duffer riding around on a pony?
Colin
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .111,130 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,787 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 93,996 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,510 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 72,113 miles

User avatar
Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!
Location: Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Status: Offline

Re: Fun in a 914/6GT

Post by Randy in Maine » Mon May 09, 2016 7:02 am

The fastest I have ever been in a Porsche was in a 914-6. I was amazed just how fast you could do a cloverleaf entrance ramp on I-80 back in 1970 or 1971.

It just started to be in its "happy spot" at about 90 mph across Nebraska..
79 VW Bus

User avatar
Bleyseng
IAC Addict!
Location: Seattle again
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Fun in a 914/6GT

Post by Bleyseng » Mon May 09, 2016 8:16 am

Cut and paste is right as I don't know Hurley personally just that he was a Porsche driver. I have gone plenty fast in a 914 thru the twistys.....
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Status: Offline

Re: Fun in a 914/6GT

Post by Amskeptic » Mon May 09, 2016 6:24 pm

Randy in Maine wrote:The fastest I have ever been in a Porsche was in a 914-6. I was amazed just how fast you could do a cloverleaf entrance ramp on I-80 back in 1970 or 1971.

It just started to be in its "happy spot" at about 90 mph across Nebraska..
RandyInMaine! You lucky. You have lived . . .
Colin
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .111,130 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,787 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 93,996 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,510 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 72,113 miles

User avatar
Bleyseng
IAC Addict!
Location: Seattle again
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Fun in a 914/6GT

Post by Bleyseng » Tue May 10, 2016 6:44 am

Mine is "Happy" at 100mph going to Eastern Washington on a sunny day. Feels like its only going 60mph......
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Status: Offline

Re: Fun in a 914/6GT

Post by Amskeptic » Thu May 12, 2016 6:19 am

Bleyseng wrote:Mine is "Happy" at 100mph going to Eastern Washington on a sunny day. Feels like its only going 60mph......
What is the engine rpm at 100?
Colin
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .111,130 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,787 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 93,996 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,510 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 72,113 miles

User avatar
Bleyseng
IAC Addict!
Location: Seattle again
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Fun in a 914/6GT

Post by Bleyseng » Thu May 12, 2016 6:32 am

About 4500rpms so at the sweet spot for a type 4.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Post Reply