Um, Actually Not Yet Done

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Um, Actually Not Yet Done

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:43 pm

I have to fill you all in on some of the details before I can call it a wrap.

We left off with Sylvester in Atlanta metro area on October 10th. I did make it to the dentist. He shot me up six ways to next Tuesday, and I had to watch the ceiling TV stuck on the news. Lucky I was choking on drill hoses, suction tubes, cotton wads ...

Very professional work (this guy was good and way overbooked) and for the first time since JUNE, I had my natural bite back and no jagged little edges of broken tooth to harass my tongue which would go over to the sharp edges to "play" constantly. This guy has to rotate through seven different addresses, so I had to follow him to the next address in Duluth for the finish up, scheduled for the next morning at 8:00AM down in deep Atlanta traffic/sirens/lights/chaos. This procedure was lower jaw, so he went to town on the novocaine and I lost my tongue and half my face. Good thing. It was Fox News on the ceiling.
"Does that hurt?" when I would spaz.
"Woa! Ig heeyoos highng!! Whaa wih wog wih hih guhrry??"
( No! It feels fine! What is wrong with this country?? )
"That is your camper out there! That thing is beautiful, did you restore it?"
"Igdiggaghoo, ig huhhohigigag."
( I didn't have to, it is original )

Warned not to eat, I carefully parked that dead meat thing in my mouth away from what felt like hard objects and closed the thing carefully so as not to chomp my tongue off. Hit the road south to Pensacola.
"Not so fast," said Atlanta:

It is a remarkable project, to build a flyover interchange over daily traffic at the most heavily traveled intersection (GA 400/I-285) in the southern United States:

NaranjaWesty didn't care all that much except for a developing clutch chatter on 1st gear dead stop starts:

Oh look, eight hours later, I am in the Rodney-The-Pilot Rehabilitation And Reflection Refuge, at 112,810 miles:

The little Lionel kid greeted me through some suspiciously temporary-looking jail bars. I say he is the one stuck behind them. I get to drive down to my lawyer's office and pick up the Other Car, he has to stay there:

Yes, this again:

I made a mistake on Facebook. I thought this clutch plate only had 13,000 miles on it, thinking that I stuck it in this summer at SG Kent's house, but in fact, it was last summer and it has 34,000 miles on it. Not only was I getting an annoying chatter, but there was a weird little groan when i stepped on the clutch pedal fully. Well, it looked fine! The white painted logo "LUK" was still fully visible! Half the friction lining looked like it hadn't even touched the flywheel or pressure plate. The sections that did were black and very shiny ... and dry !?!.

Release bearing was smooth and slightly draggy, pretty much perfect.

Pressure plate friction surface was fine, no heat marks, no grooves, just fresh factory flat surface ... :

I dremeled all the pressure plate fingers very carefully to a smooth curve so that the release would let go smoothly and evenly.

Cleaned the bell housing, razored the mating surfaces on the case and bell housing, heck man, put it back together!

The neighbors were impressed at how smoothly the clutch took up:

to be cont.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

BusBassist
Getting Hooked!

Re: Um, Actually Not Yet Done

Post by BusBassist » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:16 am

And glad to see you’re using high quality jack stands.
Late 73 Bay w/a transplanted 914 Engine.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:06 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:43 pm

It is a remarkable project, to build a flyover interchange over daily traffic at the most heavily traveled intersection (GA 400/I-285) in the southern United States:

I drive that every week! Painful, just painful if you like an hour each way JUST in stop and go traffic. I doubt that addition will help much at all.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:28 pm

Sylvester wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:06 pm
Amskeptic wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:43 pm
I drive that every week! Painful, just painful if you like an hour each way JUST in stop and go traffic. I doubt that addition will help much at all.

I call it "tribute". The price I pay to get to the BobD and Chloe. It is a pleasure to finally open up somewhere west of Douglasville, or south of McDonough, or north of Cartersville, or east of Commerce. You guys, it is not going to get better if you keep letting developers get waivers against taxes and road improvements ...
Colin

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:51 pm

We have a new member, mikehoe70, who asked for an appointment a ways back. He is only 15.7 miles from the Rodney Rehabilitation and Reflection Refuge where I hang out with the incarcerated Lionel Kid.

Drove to Mike's house as my very last Itinerary Appointment of 2019 to minister to a 1973 blue and white tintop Westy:

Sold him a timing scale before telling him that his engine is shot. LOOK at that? The very worst rocker arm-to-valve spring retainer contact I have ever seen on poor Intake #4:

But wait! There's more. Over on #3 Exhaust, we had a similar scenario to exoticdvm's Miracle Valve Seat Drop, whereupon the seat expertly hula-hoops the valve open enough not to get pecked by the pushrod, but not so much as to get hit by the piston. There was a good 3/4" clearance when we were looking for .006"

We had to stop the day's proceedings. I said, "don't even try to rotate the engine at this point, it's coming down at least to the heads". We checked out the rest of the car and roughed in a plan for engine disassembly and repair before I took off for the Refuge:

And that's a wrap. Now we are back in incognito anonymity mode with a brown four-door car of the 90s ...

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:35 pm

Welcome, Mikehoe! Man, good thing he had you over for this last 2019 call. That engine could have really bitten the big one. More Len Hoffman heads, anyone?

BusBassist
Getting Hooked!

Post by BusBassist » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:49 pm

So sorry about your engine troubles mikehoe70 but very glad you were able to meet with Colin and formulate a plan for moving forward.

Welcome.

Jeff
Late 73 Bay w/a transplanted 914 Engine.

KosmicK1100
I'm New!

Post by KosmicK1100 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:11 am

"Now we are back in incognito anonymity mode with a brown four-door car of the 90s ..." Just like superman and his phone booth! Nice save with the motor that is about to eat a valve or two!
You are a super man!