Itinerant Air-Cooled Now Traversed (edit.)

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Now Traversed (edit.)

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:03 pm

asiab3 wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:05 pm
Watch the pin on that spark plug wrench! Mine gave up but two days ago! And my rubber insert fell out last year...

Buzzkillington

Well, Mr. Killington, we need information. How long did the pin work before it failed? How long has the rubber insert worked before it fell out last year?

My wrench and I have known each other since 1983 when I took it out of my Porsche 911's tool bag and kept it. I installed a wrap of electrical tape between the rubber insert and the wall of the socket just this spring when it dropped a plug for the very first time. It is now working well once again. The roll pin? Fine.

116 foot blade tip rotates from the exact center of the generator hub . . . so actual circumference is about 125 feet :cyclopsani:
785 feet circumference X 21 rpm = 19,625 feet per minute = 1, 177,500 feet per hour = 180 mph.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Happyfolk
Getting Hooked!

Post by Happyfolk » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:02 pm

I got the Meyle tie rods installed this morning along with a new steering coupling disc from Bughaus. The first rod end (the sloppy bad one) took quite a bit of torque on the puller tool before it blew out but the other three blew out easier. The horn grounding wire around my coupling disc was broken so I replaced it. The horn somehow worked before but is stronger now.
I took the first test drive since Colin’s visit. The engine ran better than ever! Brakes feel great and are quiet, handling feels good, and the CHT is now averaging about 360 with 380 the highest I saw on a half hour drive climbing hills.
We’re going for a longer cruise later today.
79 CA FI Westy
Mexico Beige
"Sandy"

BusBassist
Getting Hooked!

Post by BusBassist » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:54 pm

I'm curious HappyFolk,

Did you have to do an alignment after replacinging the tie rods?
Late 73 Bay w/a transplanted 914 Engine.

Happyfolk
Getting Hooked!

Post by Happyfolk » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:56 pm

I’ll have an alignment done soon. I drove it straight into the garage, didn’t move the wheel, shut it off, and kept it on the ground to keep the steering components as stable as possible when changing them per Robbie’s (Asiab3) suggestion in this post: http://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtop ... 96#p230196. I did the driver’s side first and the fixed rod length was identical to the original and easily slipped into the connections on each end. I set the adjustable rod to the exact same length as the original and it also easily slid into the connections on the passenger side. So if it isn’t perfectly aligned now it probably wasn’t before. I’ll get it checked.
79 CA FI Westy
Mexico Beige
"Sandy"

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:40 pm

What was your source for the steering coupled with the reinforcing belting showing the strands, please?

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:43 pm

Oh, Bosch!

Happyfolk
Getting Hooked!

Post by Happyfolk » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:39 pm

Jivermo wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:40 pm
What was your source for the steering coupled with the reinforcing belting showing the strands, please?
Bughaus

79 CA FI Westy
Mexico Beige
"Sandy"

THall
Getting Hooked!

Post by THall » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:05 am

Happyfolk wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:56 pm
I’ll have an alignment done soon.
Mike, I just had mine aligned at Accurate Alignment Service this spring after replacing front end components.
2821 Bryant Rd. in Madison.

Ben from Ben's Dub shop recommended him and he did a real good job. I think it was around $60.
'78 Westy 2.0 FI

Happyfolk
Getting Hooked!

Post by Happyfolk » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:26 am

THall wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:05 am
Happyfolk wrote:
Mike, I just had mine aligned at Accurate Alignment Service this spring after replacing front end components.

Ben from Ben's Dub shop recommended him and he did a real good job. I think it was around $60.
Thanks! I’ll give them a call. :thumbleft: How long did it take them?

Mike
79 CA FI Westy
Mexico Beige
"Sandy"

THall
Getting Hooked!

Post by THall » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:56 am

Happyfolk wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:26 am
THall wrote:
Happyfolk wrote:

Mike
I made the appointment and told him I wanted to wait...brought it in at the agreed time and was out in about 40 minutes. Cash or check only.
'78 Westy 2.0 FI

locoqueso
Addicted!

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Now Traversed

Post by locoqueso » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:07 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:48 pm
...so he hadn't driven it more than maybe 200 miles since last year because it began to buck or something. We launched out the door to replicate this symptom. His 1978 Taigagrun VW Westfalia, "Wilson," behaved beautifully all the way to NAPA when it finally gave us some misbehavior. We adjusted the AFM a good bit leaner and the bucking was gone. It drove exactly like a proper VW bus on the way back...
Since your visit on 7/14, I've been able to drive almost 300 trouble-free miles. The bus is running better than ever! The only problem I had was the engine stalling at 55mph after about 50 miles. It wasn't obvious to me at first, but the Temp Sensor 2 wire became disconnected. I just had to reconnect the wire and I was back on the road. The hesitation and bucking symptoms are gone. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Amskeptic wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:48 pm
Decided to install the new taillamps. These were Hella circa 2011, and they were certainly better than the new stuff. They came with the correct grey seals, and their sockets withstood the extreme stress of "installing a bulb" unlike the new ones...
If anyone is interested, I bought those taillights a few years ago from BusDepot. I just checked their website and found this item....

LINK DELETED

<DO NOT BUY>
"We thought these were long gone, but they're back! Complete genuine VW assemblies, far superior to the aftermarket one. Includes housing, sockets, and tri-color lens. Priced each."
</DO NOT BUY>
1978 VW Campmobile (P-21) Westfalia - T2 2.0L F.I.- 151,000m
1982 Mercedes-Benz Estate Wagon (300TD-T) - S123 3.0L T.D. - 142,000m
1993 Dodge Maxi Van (190 SLF) InterVec Falcon - B350 Magnum 5.9L F.I. - 70,000m

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Now Traversed

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:31 pm

locoqueso wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:07 am
The hesitation and bucking symptoms are gone. Thank you!

Hella circa 2011, I bought those taillights a few years ago from BusDepot.
I just checked their website and found this item. I don't know if it's the exact same thing I bought.
Those are precisely the crap I suffered through. Even today! I had to disassemble one and drain out this infernal rain from the reverse light housings. The seals are perfect, but the lenses do not seat because, get this, the screw holes are slightly off. The upper screw squeaks in protest at being bent slightly upwards to meet its hole in the housing.
They do not fit correctly.
They are Hella Mexico.

Keep on keeping on,
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Happyfolk
Getting Hooked!

Post by Happyfolk » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:20 pm

Happyfolk wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:26 am
THall wrote:
Happyfolk wrote:

Mike
Got it aligned today. They tightened up the steering box too. Much less play!
79 CA FI Westy
Mexico Beige
"Sandy"