A Good Day in the East Bay

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

misszora
IAC Addict!

A Good Day in the East Bay

Post by misszora » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:07 pm

Greetings IACFers!

It's been awhile since I've posted in depth. My bus, Miss Zora, hasn't been part of the Itinerary Lap for several years. It was a magnificent, annual ritual that I plan to continue from here on out.

For the years in absentia, she has had an annoying intermittent bucking/chugging that would appear under a variety of circumstances that never seemed to add up. Since it started I've replaced the Head Temp Sensor II, upgraded my existing exhaust system (with original parts), replaced the cylinder heads, repaired vacuum and fuel leaks, replaced the coil, the double relay, checked wiring, split open a fuel filter...and on and on. She's been to five different mechanics - 2 in Portland, Oregon, 2 in the San Francisco Bay Area and 1 in Reno. Although each time the mechanics found something that could be the issue and for a while Miss Zora seemed to be cured, the issue would sneak up again out of the blue. Last year I made a journey up to Oregon for the Eclipse, over the Cascades and almost to the California/Nevada border without issue.

For awhile I suspected a loose wire. Simple. The only common thread I could come up with was that it seemed that if I hit a pothole or a significant bump the issue would show up. Sometimes not immediately, sometimes instantaneously but it would almost always resolve enough to make it seem that it was something else. People suggested a clog in the fuel tank and I even had a day where I literally rocked the bus hard to dislodge anything that could've been blocking the outlet.

So, Colin and I started our day sipping coffee, sitting in rickety, peeling, Adirondack chairs in my sunny backyard (he loved it, I wanted it to rain) catching up on each other's lives and adventures.

First order of business was to determine whether there was crap in the gas tank. Fuel filter was good. We emptied the tank using fuel line into buckets stopping occasionally for Colin to blow back into the tank to see if we could dislodge anything that might be floating around. The gas was absolutely clean, nothing came out.

We inspected fuel line - replaced a few inches of inferior stuff with the good stuff. Moved the fuel pump into it's appropriate position and reattached the fuel filter.

I knew the s-boot was cracked (recent discovery) and we started to repair it but after a quick call to the BusLab in Berkeley and an extended errand run by my husband we had a brand new one installed within the hour! Soft and squishy!

Throughout the day we checked a variety of things related to ignition. We found my points were tight. OK, filed and fixed. Replaced the condenser with a nice looking Bosch one. Checked timing. Checked spark. Checked the spark plug wires themselves. Replaced the spark plugs. Took each cylinder out of the running by pulling the spark plug wire...all four were contributing to the shake and shudder. Swapped my "new" coil for my old one. Cleaned connecters with a razor blade - as you do when you work with Colin. Adjusted the fuel/air mixture. Got her purring at idle but she still shuddered and sputtered at high RPMs. We actually started swapping parts between Miss Zora and Naranja since they are both 1977 buses - complete distributor, spark plug wires, etc. - to eliminate potential issues. Still couldn't resolve the problem.

As the sun started to set behind the hill above my house, I brought out a work light. We were not stopping. Colin was determined and admittedly getting crankier. We had been very methodical in our diagnostic approach. Even fantasized about how cool it would be to scope the working valves while the engine was running - not possible but that lead us to thinking how cool it would be if someone would make heat resistance clear valve covers. Anyway...

The sputter/shudder created matching puffs out the tailpipe. Combustion vs. a loss of power?

One of the last things on our list was to check the electrical signal to the fuel injectors. We had a simple test light and rigged up a couple wires. What Colin noticed was that when MZ was revving and ultimately doing her shudder/sputter, the test light would get brighter correspondingly. Huh. Colin said the electricity was looking for a place to go. Ground wire?

He reached in and checked the three ground spades under the intake manifold on the case and found one spade that was loose although it was fully seated. He pulled it out part way for a better, more solid connection and boom! The engine started to run perfectly.

He drove her, I drove her. We got her home and he went to the engine compartment and purposely fucked with that one ground spade again and got the issues we had all day long to repeat. Then he adjusted the spade and the problems cleared up. Holy shit. Really????

Well, I'll take it! And it did validate my theory about something loose in the wiring though!!! I've suggested that for years!!
I do need to get in there and replace that spade and probably many others that are just due.

It took awhile to get to sleep last night because I was so excited. My bus has not been reliable for so long that it was a source of stress rather than pleasure on long road trips.

After 20 years with my girl, Miss Zora lives on!
This is what she likes to do...

Thank you, Colin!!!!
Miss Zora - '77 VW Riviera Hard Top Campmobile
Dharma Bug - '69 VW Bug
The Vandejo - '74 VW Westfalia Poptop (former mom)

xyzzy
Getting Hooked!

Re: A Good Day in the East Bay

Post by xyzzy » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:33 pm

That's awesome you guys found the issue and even better that its an easy fix. Congrats!

Great looking bus.
---
1973 Westfalia
Encinitas, California USA

misszora
IAC Addict!

Post by misszora » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:50 pm

If you consider 11 hours of attempting diagnosis through process of elimination an easy fix! :flower:

Thanks, for real though!
It's a huge relief.
Funny thing is, my trust isn't quite there yet and I haven't driven her today. Maybe later.
Dharma Bug - '69 VW Bug

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:34 pm

Now that she's fixed, are you coming to Maupin next weekend?

:cyclopsani:
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:27 pm

I love a happy ending.. Too often, we are left hoping and waiting for an update with the fix in a thread on here and TS. These old buses can be cranky and finicky. It can take long periods of trouble shooting, parts swapping, head scratching and frustration before finding the root cause of any problem. Factor in four to 6 decades of people doing all sorts of odd things during their "repairs" and parts changing and it's no wonder it takes a while to get a new to us used VW running like it did when it left the factory.

Glad to see this positive post and post again after your next road trip.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Curtp07
Getting Hooked!

Post by Curtp07 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:58 pm

Nicely done guys!

I have to ask...is the original FI harness still installed?

misszora
IAC Addict!

Post by misszora » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:38 pm

tristessa wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:34 pm
Now that she's fixed, are you coming to Maupin next weekend?

:cyclopsani:
I'm thinking about it!
I've got a big ass art project to build though.
Dharma Bug - '69 VW Bug

misszora
IAC Addict!

Post by misszora » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:46 pm

wcfvw69 wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:27 pm
I love a happy ending.. Too often, we are left hoping and waiting for an update with the fix in a thread on here and TS. These old buses can be cranky and finicky. It can take long periods of trouble shooting, parts swapping, head scratching and frustration before finding the root cause of any problem. Factor in four to 6 decades of people doing all sorts of odd things during their "repairs" and parts changing and it's no wonder it takes a while to get a new to us used VW running like it did when it left the factory.

Glad to see this positive post and post again after your next road trip.
MZ has been a trouper. And it's funny to think that because I was struggling financially I chose to skip the Itinerant Loop a few years in a row. That resulted in an exponentially greater expense at different mechanics to figure things out when one full-day visit with Colin probably would have wrapped it up.

My first session with Colin (I'd have to look at my pictures to figure out the year!) was getting my bus running after she stopped and sat for 9 months. I was thinking about selling her. We found all kinds of short cuts that my current mechanic had used and he made me promise to never go back to them! I didn't. We so fixed many things and got her running. The next year I dropped the engine and learned so much more about her.

I know that I'll never sell this bus and a big thanks to Colin for that.
Dharma Bug - '69 VW Bug

misszora
IAC Addict!

Post by misszora » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:49 pm

Curtp07 wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:58 pm
Nicely done guys!

I have to ask...is the original FI harness still installed?
Yep! Well, I assume it's the original FI harness. Came with the bus in 1998 when I bought her.
It's definitely getting crusty and brittle. I drive and camp in the desert in Nevada at the end of August every year. Brutal.
Dharma Bug - '69 VW Bug

Ronin10
Getting Hooked!

Post by Ronin10 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:50 pm

Congrats on a successful repair. I have those persistent, hard to solve issues.
Oscar: 1976 Sage Green Bus, Stock Motor, Solid Lifters, Manual Transaxle

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:46 am

Wow! Wow! What a terrific write up and report. Thank you. Here we have the perfect Itinerant visit summed up in your writing. Problem presented, problem resolved. This is wonderful stuff, and has such a zen like quality.

Curtp07
Getting Hooked!

Post by Curtp07 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:38 am

You should really think about a new harness. Crusty and brittle group of wires leads to possible fires.

Hey it rhymes!

misszora
IAC Addict!

Post by misszora » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:54 am

Curtp07 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:38 am
You should really think about a new harness. Crusty and brittle group of wires leads to possible fires.

Hey it rhymes!
That would be a good mantra!
Yes, I have been considering a new harness. Since there are so many variations in engine set ups, I'm not sure where to start.
Recommendations?
Dharma Bug - '69 VW Bug

Curtp07
Getting Hooked!

Post by Curtp07 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:41 pm

Check out Kyle Automotive. I bought two of his harnesses..impeccable work!

misszora
IAC Addict!

Post by misszora » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:46 pm

Curtp07 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:41 pm
Check out Kyle Automotive. I bought two of his harnesses..impeccable work!
I don't see those services on the website. Is that something special?
Dharma Bug - '69 VW Bug