Itinerant Greetings From New Mexico

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Itinerant Greetings From New Mexico

Post by Amskeptic » Thu May 24, 2018 8:13 pm

Kudos to NaranjaWesty for a flawless traverse to New Mexico. 1,600 miles of expressway speeds with nary a hiccough. Engine was smooth and responsive, especially on those entrance ramp pulls.

The day after the Timex clock refresh, I was motivated to get the window screens down from their perch on the top bunk under the poptop and get them installed before another hot buggy night:

But wait! I cannot bear to fuzz up the view out the jalousie windows. Let's mask off the frames and paint the screen mesh with some charcoal flat black paint:

The camera just gave up on this shot. It was blinded by the light.

Here you can see that the screen mesh itself is not half so visible as it was before painting, but the view out is darker than the little slivers of the outside you can see at the right rear window and front doors. It is subtle, but it is a great improvement that I will be sure to brag up all summer:

Now you are looking through two screens:

My appropriated-from-the-Lexus sunshade is a huge help at keeping interior temperatures down, and it will help keep the dashboard vinyl intact:

The drive through metro-Dallas was hair-raising with heavy truck traffic and lots of construction. I did note that we have a bumper crop of exploded truck tire carcasses on the Dallas expressways, more than I have seen since 2007. Why are trucking firms letting tires go all the way down to pieces these days? The risk to other drivers is real. A thrown tire carcass can decapitate a following car's driver or passenger.
(see: Myth-Busters https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvcwCCWkhBI )

Here is the only shot I got of the Dallas city skyline. It is a handheld telephoto freewayoverpass onetime deal, and that is all you get. See the little bitty toy buildings peeking over the trees?

Other than truck tire carcasses littering the road, the roadways themselves are looking more and more like Michigan's crumbling roads. This, The United States of America:

Coming down a hill looking out towards Fort Worth, I can sense the West Is Coming, The Humidity Is Dropping:

Who managed to buy off the zoning board to allow only ten feet between bloated houses stuffed into subdivisions? Where do you get to plant trees??

Some guy, some guy had to compliment NaranjaWesty too effusively in Wichita Falls. Bashfully, NaranjaWesty refused to start after a fill-up. I decided to wash the windows for several minutes until Mr. Flatterer had taken leave of his car to go into the convenience store. A couple of solenoid chatters with my adjustable wrench on the terminals seems to have restored it for the time being. I waved nonchalantly to Mr. Flatterer as we drove back out into the night. "Don't do that again tonight, we have thunderstorms coming." And we did. US 287 northbound through Texas is always a pleasure, I love the casual relaxed vistas of drill rigs, trucks, cows, refineries, Lady Bird Johnson roadside rests, windmills, and sky. Tonight's sky was an electrical one, all over from any direction flashes of light zagging the sky with brief cloud silhouettes. A few blasting spatters of Texas-sized rain pellets, and the skies just opened up with a roar of wind that caught the wall of rain and made it look like we all were traveling sideways at a horrific rate. The road just disappeared, it was gone from view. I am so used to wind gusts slamming into VW buses that sawing on the steering wheel is just fully automatic. But I like to know where I have been blown to on the roadway, and this little microburst wasn't letting me know, until I felt the rumble strips on the shoulder. That was a FAIL for me, so I caught a little green road sign coming up in about two seconds, and I dove right onto a little farm road and stopped. The storm was then totally fun for three reasons:
1) I am safely away from other drivers
2) I don't have to drive
3) It was a good storm, plenty of howling wind, lightening, booming, and pelting rain.
The rain came down so hard that the windshield had two constant waterfalls from the luggage rack catch basin.
Best of all, not a drop, not a drop, not a single solitary drop made it into the interior. That was the best part of a new air-cooled Volkswagen back in the day.

I fell asleep during this storm, parked exactly in the middle of this little farm road. Woke up to a blaring horn. At least it was not an irate Texas cattleman in a Ford F-350 Dually,
"whut in plumb tarnation you doin parked int the middle of the dad gum road??"

No, it was a double-decker freight train looking a lot like a tired caterpiller in the dawn's light.
Only outside of Amarillo did I note that power was lagging a bit and fuel economy sank to 11 mpg (so did the CHTs, they were 370* max there for a while). Well, did I know that we were above 3,500 feet already? NOoooooo. Leaned out the mixture and only earned some power back, head temps back up into the low 400*s, which I like just fine.

It really was only self-serve here:

And here we are:

A fellow VW bus showed up here, poor thing, really tired and sore:

(edit: spoke with the owner, Terry, this morning over a cup of Motel6's finest finest coffee. That bus has 800,000 miles on it, and is mechanically well cared-for . . . . ! )

Tomorrow, a Thank You valve adjustment and oil change and tire rotation, then off to the ancient caldera overlooking Los Alamos . . .
Colin
( I still like these cars as much as I did in 1971)

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

xyzzy
Getting Hooked!

Re: Itinerant Greetings From New Mexico

Post by xyzzy » Thu May 24, 2018 8:27 pm

Wow, you are making great time! It's mind-boggling to understand how your bus seems to always be so clean after driving it so far. Maybe the orange cleans itself...

Safe travels!
---
1973 Westfalia
Encinitas, California USA

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu May 24, 2018 9:02 pm

xyzzy wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 8:27 pm
Wow, you are making great time! It's mind-boggling to understand how your bus seems to always be so clean after driving it so far. Maybe the orange cleans itself...

Safe travels!

Or maybe the trillions of gallons blasted at it in a 50 mph gale last night. It tore the blanket of bug splat clean off.
That's the other reason I liked that storm so much.
Colin :cheers:

jtauxe
Addicted!

Post by jtauxe » Fri May 25, 2018 2:20 pm

Woo hoo! Welcome to New Mexico.

By my reckoning, you should be in Lost Almost already, and working on Yellow Bird, which probably doesn't need any real work. I am still at work, but the plan is to get out of here at 17:00 (stopping by Yellow Bird's place on the way home) and start yanking the engine out of the single cab. Although I do have the whole weekend.

Then get everything ready for our visit on Monday. With the single cab, and Jelly Bean the Wild Westerner and its new owner, who will be in training as a new VW bus owner, who will be taking Jelly Bean home with her. I am looking forward to it, and so is she!
John
"The bus came by and I got on. That's when it all began..." - Garcia/Weir/Kreutzman
http://vw.tauxe.net

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Fri May 25, 2018 2:27 pm

Lost Almost! Love that joint, especially the beers at that Bathtub Alley Saloon, or whatever it is, where I learned of the great free camping on the Camp May Road! What a town! What people!

tewa3240
I'm New!

Post by tewa3240 » Fri May 25, 2018 5:50 pm

xyzzy wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 8:27 pm

Safe travels!
Storms & wax go together like PB&J.
Also, Colin,I hope you told Terry those roof-top tail lights are a Crime Against Humanity.

jtauxe
Addicted!

Post by jtauxe » Sat May 26, 2018 4:22 pm

Jivermo wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 2:27 pm
Lost Almost! Love that joint, especially the beers at that Bathtub Alley Saloon, or whatever it is, where I learned of the great free camping on the Camp May Road! What a town! What people!
That's nice to hear. Los Alamos has a sort of self image problem, since we hear all the time how much people hate the place because of what the Lab is up to.

Today in Los Alamos is not exactly overcast... There are no clouds, but still the sun can't shine through the smoke from a fire in the Gila. Everything is suffused with an eerie yellow glow.

Engine is out of the single cab, and I await Colin's opinion on what could be causing the massive oil leak (warmed engine only) before it goes in again. This is the fourth engine pull on this problem, and I'm getting a bit tired of it.
John
"The bus came by and I got on. That's when it all began..." - Garcia/Weir/Kreutzman

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat May 26, 2018 6:52 pm

Jivermo wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 2:27 pm

The great free camping was hard to come by. But first, WHO's your daddy, Chloe??

I arrived by way of Santa Fe, continually leaning the mixture just so it would run. Here's a conundrum, I couldn't keep my head temps up. 65 mph would barely hit 400*, as soon as a hill came along, the car would slow to 55 and the head temps would drop to low 380s. Then it would slow to 50 and the head temps would drop to 370* and the car would stumble.

Well, I am not about to dismantle the tightly packed rear deck over the engine, so I *blindly* loosened the wiper screw and nudging it *blindly* to restore my expected idle.
Here's how:
a) removed the vacuum hose that leads to the fuel pressure regulator and noted that the idle jumped 200 rpm (that's how bad it wanted more air to combine with the surfeit of fuel)
c) *blindly* grabbed the metal wiper plate and twisted the black plastic wiper towards lean An Unknown Amount.
d) let go of everything, idle is now lean low until I put the hose back on and it recovers to a beautiful normal idle

Hit the road and found that it was running a little stronger and a little hotter, but same problem on hills, CHTs would drop and the engine would stumble below 50 mph.
*Blindly* grabbed the little wire retainer for the black cog and pried it away from the black cog and twisted the black cog with my other hand towards lean by An Unknown Amount, but it was a "handful of teeth" by my reckoning.

NOW the car can go up a hill and maintain temps and power. Very interesting. I have full intuitive command over my engine as of yesterday. Now I get the black cog/spring dynamic in the Great Air Flow Meter Adjustment Universe. It is beautiful. I will update you all later, because now I have to see if I can revert successfully when I get back down to normal elevations. I have a bullet-proof adjustment right now, 410* max full throttle 65 mph 90* ambient. Drops to 400* on any freeway hill under full throttle. 14 mpg, booooo, but typical for 7,000 feet.

Here's a hill on the Camp May road, way above Los Alamos:

My favorite spots were all taped off. Man, that bites. I had PLANS. Had to keep driving up that interminable 2nd gear hill with TWO downshifts into 1st, yes, downshifts into 1st. I texted jtauxe in outrage. He wrote back, "extreme fire danger". So, arrogant lightening bolts and careless humans just have to ruin it for the rest of us. Well, I don't do camp fires, so I was ready to commit civil disobedience, but I kept driving up up up, and finally spied a pair of barely discernible tracks off the side of a turn out with no pink ribbon. What a path. What an itinerant imbecile:

Remember that 7,000 foot elevation thing? The low power at high elevations, the desperate leaning out of the fuel mixture? Well, I scampered down this rocky eroded path with nary a thought. Not a one . . . like perhaps:
a) will there be a turn around?
b) will the path get substantially more gulleylicious?
c) will I have the *power* to go back *up* the path?

a* I barely had a turn around, barely. It was one of those front-end-hits-the-embankment, rear-end-drops-into-a-gulch, sort of 64-point turns turn around.
b*the suspension was fully extended and compressed on the same axle, the cabinetry was issuing reports like gunshots as the chassis flexed
c*had to slip the clutch horribly for an extended time just to keep the engine running and trying to move the car

Then I changed the front shift rod bushing . . . here . . . now:

I shall not endure a rattling shifter one moment longer:

That required unpacking the front of the car, carefully removing the shifter, and unpacking the rear of the car to find the new bushing, and unpacking the middle of the car to find the tube of silicone grease, then finally diving underneath with a nice gulley rock hump massage. Hey, but the shifter is suddenly a whole lot tighter and quieter. Did not use moly grease this time. I will never use moly grease again on these cheesy plastic bushings. I will only use this tube of silicone grease (I gots plenty), all of youse get this from now on, guaranteed not to attack the cheesy plastic of the cheesy bushing:

And, like that time in Hell's Canyon,
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=12211
(2878)
I had to do a major rock-clearing event to make it driveable in the uphill direction. NaranjaWesty made it all so easy, what a ridiculously competent car on ridiculously strewn paths:

In what is now an annual rite, I rotated the wheels here in the Pojoaque "industrial park":

You may not remember the insane amount of time I took to prepare these wheels for paint, remember? And how I dremelled the insides of each wheel to get rid of weld spatter and sharp edges? Pay-off, today. Did not shred my waxing and buffing cloths. Don't you hate shredding your wheel waxing and buffing cloths?

pmaggiore visit in the morning
Colin

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Sat May 26, 2018 8:37 pm

Reading this about your trials and tribulations with the air/fuel ratio on such an original, low mileage bus, it make me wonder this; What did folks do back when these VW's were new in the late 70's? How did they deal with elevation rises with the fuel injection on their rigs? I'm "assuming" they just dealt with a poorly running VW until they returned to lower elevations?

I had my 71' bus up in Flagstaff once. It's running a 34-3 carb and restored DVDA distributor. It HATED the higher elevation. I lost what I felt like was 40% of the horsepower of the engine. I was only up there for a couple of days camping. Had I been there any longer, I would of adjusted the timing and jetting of the carb.

Amazing that our modern cars computers do all the air/fuel adjusting for us these days.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sun May 27, 2018 4:35 am

I recall that rutted path in Hell’s Canyon, and laughed again at Slowlane’s description of the likely scenario of your clearing of rocks, one to the right, one to the left, one to the right, gotta wax that shock, etc...Too bad about the restricted camping areas. It looks like you went pretty high up on that mountain, into the old burn grounds.

jtauxe
Addicted!

Post by jtauxe » Tue May 29, 2018 7:01 am

We had a busy day with Colin yesterday (the 28th).

Jelly Bean's new owner came to retrieve her bus, and Colin trained her extensively on how runs a Volkswagen, with valve adjustment, setting points and timing, oil change, driving lesson, etc., while I attended to the dysfunctional wiper system and other odds and ends. That took most of the day.

After seeing off Jelly Bean for what is probably the last time (though Colin may see it again, next year) he and I set about the task of reinstalling the 1800 engine into the single cab pickup. Earlier in the day, I had yet again attempted to diagnose the persistent massive oil leak from the single cab's engine. I finally committed to removing the oil gallery plugs that I asked the Santa Fe mechanic to install as long as he had the engine on the stand replacing heads. I got another lesson in why we should all be doing our own work: No one is a better mechanic than the bus' owner!

This Santa Fe mechanic, whom I used to recommend to people, is now no longer going to be allowed to touch my engines. I might let him pack wheel bearings or replace ball joints in the future, but that's it. He had cut threads to replace two of the oil gallery plugs on the front of the engine (behind the flywheel), and plugged them with steel NPT plugs (not aluminum, as I had requested and provided, damn it). He noticed the oil leak right away when he installed the engine in his shop, and even removed it and reinstalled it, and ended up returning the truck to me, still leaking, blaming grooves in the flywheel where it mates to the main seal. In the following months and years, I sourced a new 215-mm flywheel, pressure plate, clutch, and all the goodies that go with that. I pulled the engine four frickin' times going after this, replacing the main seal with a SABA seal twice, and smearing the steel NPT plugs with JB weld -- all to no avail. It kept the same symptoms throughout the ordeal: leaks little oil if driven short distances; leaks a lot of oil if it gets all warmed up. Those were consistent with a leaking steel NPT plug, with its differential coefficient of expansion from that of the case.

So, I remove the plugs, which back off all too easily. I should have taken a photo, but one of these had hacked threads that were just awful to look at. How was that plug even staying in there? What a hack the mechanic was -- and to know that he had made such a mess of tapping the case and blaming it on what was in retrospect a perfectly good flywheel. :angryfire: The case was so damaged at this point that there was only one option: Install aluminum plugs (thank you very much) and use JB Weld as the sealant. These are never coming out. Now I hope that they never leak.

Darkness fell, and I put off getting the rest of the engine put together until another evening. Probably this evening. :) Fingers crossed...
John

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed May 30, 2018 8:38 am

jtauxe wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 7:01 am
We had a busy day with Colin yesterday (the 28th).
We had a busy day the day before, too, May 27th's Patron Customer, pmaggiore:

I sported my new Geezus I Am Too Old And Fat For Denim Cut-Offs Anymore Khakis :

Let's review the frightening passage of time.

Here is my May 27th Patron Customer, pmaggiore, with his one of his sons helping to install spark plugs in August of 2010:

Here is pmaggiore, on the driver's side, and his lads dropping the belly pan :

I think shortly thereafter, we did driving lessons, all of it, steering, brakes starting off, shifting, oh yeah, stopping.

Well, here's 2018 pmaggiore, on the driver's side, and a 2018 son installing the belly pan :

Sure took them a long time to install the belly pan . . . :blackeye: Haw haw. I'll be here all decade.

We had a tough day that should not have been a tough day. We started off with a perfectly benign valve adjustment that was a good sign that the engine is content. No horrendously tight valves, just a little seepage at the valve covers after many many many miles. Replaced a distributor o-ring and breather gasket. Fine. We replaced the front shift rod, the bent front shift rod that would not allow the e-brake cable holder pivot thingy to hang freely. No problems here, either, and I will have you know that pmaggiore is the first Itinerant Air-Cooled customer to have the new Silicone Grease Instead™ front bushing operation. Everything was FINE.
Then we got brave.
"Let's do the driver's side window regulator. Why not? Here's a NEW one from BUS DEPOT, what could go wrong?"
Couldn't get the lift bolts to go in, that's what. The spot-welded reinforced nut plate was too high:

OK, we can do this, we whipped out the Dremel and made a "nut plate avoidance cut-out" on the window lifter:

An hour of Kustom Fab later, we try the window regulator. Good god. Imagine broken glass dumped in your blender. Turn it on. That is what this regulator sounded like as it tortuously attempted to lift the simple little window. YES I GREASED THE REGULATOR. pmaggiore diplomatically suggested that it would break in over time.
Thanks, Pete. That is a great car, one of the jtauxe Yellowbird family.

Camped at my favorite valley spot and touched up all the US traverse rock chips on the front bumper and front end, using the two year-old dried out paint from our old long-ago repair of the famous crash at jtauxe's house
( viewtopic.php?f=70&t=13168#p222812 ) :

Then I drove to the site of the crash. Please note the very thoughtful traffic cone supplied this year:

As jtauxe mentioned, we ran the new owner of Jellybean through a maintenance tutorial. She completely grasped the concepts effortlessly, and then she proceeded to pretzel my failing brain with instant mental calculations of how many degrees "26* BTDC" is if you proceed around the degree wheel from "0". Do not underestimate this one. Dear to my heart is the fact that she too is a grammar nahtsi:

pmaggiore stopped by to, what else? return a wrench, and provide a VW bus gaggle shot:

After an oil change, we did a quick driving lesson and sent Jellybean's new owner (shelofa on the forum) on her way some time around 5:20PM (say hello, shelofa!) :

jtauxe and I, two old hands with creaking joints and occasionally fuzzy faculties after a long eight hours, then had just forty minutes remaining in the Itinerant Air-Cooled Day to install the new front seal and o-ring, the flywheel, clutch disk, pressure plate, and the engine in the single cab. And we did :

Always a great pleasure, jtauxe.

jtauxe
Addicted!

Post by jtauxe » Wed May 30, 2018 12:37 pm

And the followup...

Jelly Bean and shelofa made it to Grants just fine, as I knew they would. As always, it is bittersweet to watch a bus that I have spent 3 years with, collecting parts and doing the decades worth of deferred maintenance and repairs, drive off into the sunset with a new owner. But, that is the way of things.

As for the single cab...

Next evening, wrapping up the job went quickly, installing the Weber carbs and getting it all hooked up, Although the anticipation was killing me, I refrained from starting it up in order to give the JB Weld around the gallery plug NPT fittings another night to cure.

In the morning, I fire it up on the third try or so (typical with these carbs) and take it out for a test drive. But -- not so fast! At this moment, the oil pressure light on the dash has decided to be finicky, and that is ONE idiot light I really need to work correctly now. After some 20 minutes (it seemed) futzing with the damned thing (but it's just a bayonet mount -- insert and twist!) I got it to stay put and give me the signal. So, test drive resumed. I start out on a 50-mile run, stopping periodically to peek under the engine for leaks. 5 miles in: hmm... a small leak -- 'bout penny sized. Fine. I can live with that. Then later, about 40 miles into the trip - hmm... a bigger puddle this time -- maybe 10-15 cm across. Crap.

Well, it is way better than it was (I will keep telling myself this), since it used to be a good 20-30 cm across. No noticeable drop in oil level. Before, the oil was pouring out so fast the idiot light came on. Finish the drive. Another puddle appears. WTF did Sanchez do to my engine!?

I'll take this as mixed results. There is improvement to be sure, but it still leaks oil. Jelly Bean leaked NO OIL, so I know it can be done.

For now, I will pretend that things are better and that I can actually drive the truck, like to the big city (Santa Fe) 40 miles away. Just gotta take oil with me. Still a bit disappointed, though.
John

shelofa
I'm New!

Post by shelofa » Wed May 30, 2018 5:23 pm

Hello! Thank you very much to jtauxe and Amskeptic for contributing to the best weekend I've had in a hell of a long time.

I suspect I'm going to lurk a lot more than I post, but I'm here, I'm enthused, and I'm checking my grammar very carefully.

In the meantime, I'll be doing a lot of this: :study: :study: :study: :study: :study:

(quintuplet emoticons 100% necessary)

jtauxe
Addicted!

Post by jtauxe » Thu May 31, 2018 7:01 am

Yay! shelofa chimes in!
shelofa wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 5:23 pm
I'm enthused, and I'm checking my grammar very carefully.
"Enthused"? From one grammarian to another, there is already a word for that. :)

Now, go check those lug nuts on those powdercoated wheels for proper torque...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... p?t=679625
John