IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 2018 Preparation Deprecations

Post by Amskeptic » Thu May 17, 2018 11:57 am

Ronin10 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 1:57 pm
Amskeptic wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:06 pm
I accidentally put the 12 volt black wire on the gauge terminal, and the brown/black sender wire on the "vibrator". My test drive was 4 miles to check calibration of tachometer, did not notice that fuel gauge was *buried* on the full side:
Tsk, tsk, tsk. Are you sure it was an "accident" and not some other lingering, possibly age-related issue? Do you remember futzing with my fuel gauge wiring last summer? I got the false full tank reading too and ran out of gas on the way to work as a result of the same miscue. Fuel gauge was dead as a door nail as well.

Maybe this is simply some small measure of cosmic compensation for your "remote disable device."
Amskeptic wrote:Finally took the vibrator apart. Oh yes, burnt windings around the heater with a horrendously thin connection at the board. Wire busted clean loose when I tested it for mechanical integrity.
I didn't do any gnat-level surgery on my bad vibrator, but when I replaced it with a spare from the shelves, the fuel gauge came back to life.
I just put in a new vibrator, but the sender got melted too. Dropped the engine this morning, put in a friends's Bus Depot brand new sender which wouldn't fit without some dremelling of the slots, and the gauge will not go above 1/2, period.
Vibrator calibration is off, sender calibration is off, life scheduling is off.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

BusBassist
Getting Hooked!

Post by BusBassist » Thu May 17, 2018 12:21 pm

My Bus Depot sending unit fit in the tank without issue but only reads 3/4 when the tank is full.
Late 73 Bay w/a transplanted 914 Engine.

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Thu May 17, 2018 12:52 pm

BusBassist wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 12:21 pm
My Bus Depot sending unit fit in the tank without issue but only reads 3/4 when the tank is full.
Yea -im tempted to cut an access hole. Mine will read full but at 1/2 a tank it just drops to empty.
60 beetle
78 bus

Happyfolk
Getting Hooked!

Post by Happyfolk » Thu May 17, 2018 1:52 pm

zabo wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 12:52 pm
BusBassist wrote:
Yea -im tempted to cut an access hole. Mine will read full but at 1/2 a tank it just drops to empty.
Mine reads 3/4 when full and 1/4 when empty. Still better than no gauge at all which is what I had before replacing it.
79 CA FI Westy
Mexico Beige
"Sandy"

Ronin10
Getting Hooked!

Post by Ronin10 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:47 pm

Ratwell has an article on his website about setting the stops and/or bending the float based on voltage readings at full and empty. It got me close in my old bus. I expect the remaining difference was due to the vibrator.
Oscar: 1976 Sage Green Bus, Stock Motor, Solid Lifters, Manual Transaxle

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri May 18, 2018 7:15 am

Ronin10 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 8:47 pm
Ratwell has an article on his website about setting the stops and/or bending the float based on voltage readings at full and empty. It got me close in my old bus. I expect the remaining difference was due to the vibrator.

We accidentally burnt up the good ol' original sending unit that was hand-wired at the Homossasa Weisswurst Pig Property in winter 2016:

Stuck in the new Commemorative Thank You Jackstar Bus Depot unit after "modifications":

Things were so not happening. The gauge would not go above 1/2 full with the sender out and float at max "up". Bent the tab for a little more, bent the float arm back down for "more reading for given fuel level". Nope. Panicked.
I demand a good fuel gauge. When in the middle of nowhere, I need to know exactly what I have to work with. Remember that demented Chloe sojourn in the middle of the Sierra Nevadas? I was *relying* on that gauge. Remember the BobD haboob trek from Colorado to New Mexico in a headwind sandstorm? I need my gauge. I was so dispirited and irritated in this damn Florida heat and humidity sticky bug fry (yes, I can complain about everything). Went to the brilliant ex-train engineer stereo guy and we came up with a rheostatically controlled shunt around the voltage stabilizer to allow me to adjust the voltage level:

Didn't help. Tore out the instrument cluster, ripped out the fuel gauge, and spent an hour playing with the sender sitting on the rear deck and the rarely visited gauge adjustments:

Only finally:

Once the sender was back in the car, the fuel gauge refuses to hit the full mark. Our tribal identification is strong. The reason for these fuel gauge issues is simple. System resistance over time. It can be cured. At my going rate, I can guarantee you $1,180.00 will give you a full reading, guaranteed.
Colin :geek:

Boxcar
Addicted!

Post by Boxcar » Fri May 18, 2018 8:23 am

Ah!
Resistance is why I have to overcome "filler's regret" after every gaze upon my fuel level "trend indicator"

I don't (well I do ;) ) get the itinerant hubbub.
1/2 Just doesnt say enough.

The recent bus depot sender gives me like 7/8 heavy after fill.(I resist thoughts of float tweaking.)
Coincidentally or not... it gives super deep reserve.

I WOULD guess a day in headwinds could drain a 1.8 GO Westy in demoralizing 130... average life on the flatlands gives about 210 miles per tank,best case.

Good luck Colin
1975 003 Auto Westy L90D

repair!!!!aug2015
Jan/16 Bumped mixture a few notches richer. finally developing HP.

1.8L/LJet/Pertron DVDA+PertronixCompufire 42/36Ham Heads/AA 93mm pistons/barrels.Porsc.Swiv.Adjusters/CromoSteel pushrds/ Web 9550Cam/55cc chmbr.,035 squish,8.6:1CR/German Supply VWCanadaReman Rods/Schadek 26mmPump/vdo dualOP8/10#low sender/Quart Deep Sump
Backdate Htr bxs,reflanged 914 4into1. Two and three eighths inch collector,magniflow*muffler

xyzzy
Getting Hooked!

Post by xyzzy » Fri May 18, 2018 3:34 pm

zabo wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 12:52 pm
BusBassist wrote:
My bus just started exhibiting this same behavior over the last month. Reads fine until about half full, then kind of jumps around between empty and half for a few miles, then just flatlines empty.
---
1973 Westfalia
Encinitas, California USA

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Fri May 18, 2018 4:16 pm

I’ve given up on the Bus Depot senders. I have the same 1/4-1/2 reading when full. I have spent a lot of time fiddling with the float bending, replaced the gas filled float TWICE and used a wine bottle cork, and all for naught. Three senders I’ve screwed with. I have a cut out, so it’s not that difficult but I get nervous hovering above an open tank of gasoline, messing with wires on the sender. I just note the mileage in a log, and act accordingly. I’d pay more money, gladly, for a quality sending unit.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sat May 19, 2018 6:54 am

My original (or I assume original) will read full....but goes all the way to empty after 90-120 miles or so. Based on everyone's grievances, doesn't sound like it is worth going through the effort to replace.

Wouldn't bother me so much if the car had a trip odometer....that is one 'option' I wish the bus came with.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat May 19, 2018 7:25 pm

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 6:54 am

Wouldn't bother me so much if the car had a trip odometer....that is one 'option' I wish the bus came with.
Math, my boy, math. When I don't trust my sender/gauge (like Naranja's for the first thousand miles) I filled "on the hundreds." Every time there was a "00" at the end of the odometer, I filled it. Then I fixed the gauge. I was so happy. Then I burnt it up. I was so sad. Then I installed a new vibrator and sender. I was so happy. Then it wouldn't go above 1/2, I was so sad. Then I fixed the gauge to play with the sender and it works, but my spirit is broken.
Colin

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Sat May 19, 2018 10:36 pm

Shit, I didn't know how bad you late bus folks have it. I'm enjoying this early bus tank around the country at the moment.

RobbieFilledEvery200MilesBut250isOKtoo
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun May 20, 2018 6:19 pm

asiab3 wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 10:36 pm
Shit, I didn't know how bad you late bus folks have it. I'm enjoying this early bus tank around the country at the moment.

Oh hush, you. My early bus gauge never hits 1/1 either, and often has 3 gallons remaining at reserve. I fill at the hundreds even when the gauge works perfectly, because it is good to keep tank as full as possible especially when you are storing it for long periods, or, as in my case, are prone to long detours through nowhere. I don't know if you are preening over your reliable early gauge system? or your fuel tank range? Range-wise, a late bus is pretty reliable at hitting 200-250 miles with no problem. 14.7 gal X 17 mpg while Chloe can do 300 + miles 15.9 X 20 mpg. But as you early and late bus people know, we have to approach gauge readings with the science of an airline pilot. There are *effects* that can change range in a heartbeat, headwinds, elevation, that last CHT-inspired richening adjustment . . . . you know?
Colin

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Mon May 21, 2018 3:34 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 6:19 pm
asiab3 wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 10:36 pm
Shit, I didn't know how bad you late bus folks have it. I'm enjoying this early bus tank range around the country at the moment.

Oh hush, you. My early bus gauge never hits 1/1 either, and often has 3 gallons remaining at reserve. I fill at the hundreds even when the gauge works perfectly, because it is good to keep tank as full as possible especially when you are storing it for long periods, or, as in my case, are prone to long detours through nowhere. I don't know if you are preening over your reliable early gauge system? or your fuel tank range? Range-wise, a late bus is pretty reliable at hitting 200-250 miles with no problem. 14.7 gal X 17 mpg while Chloe can do 300 + miles 15.9 X 20 mpg. But as you early and late bus people know, we have to approach gauge readings with the science of an airline pilot. There are *effects* that can change range in a heartbeat, headwinds, elevation, that last CHT-inspired richening adjustment . . . . you know?
Colin
Yes yes, I know… I've seen as low as 15mpg in my early bus, and as high as 25mpg on a particularly slow decent of the Rockies. It is nice knowing I can theoretically go 300 miles if I keep my foot out of it. I always leave the bus filled at the end of every trip, as a kindness to my clean fuel tank based on your advice on these threads over the years.

I would consider your price for a working fuel gauge if the early style sender floats don't keep sinking on me.
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Mon May 21, 2018 3:37 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 6:19 pm
There are *effects* that can change range in a heartbeat, headwinds, elevation, that last CHT-inspired richening adjustment . . . . you know?
Them are *causes*, pardner, not *effects*. :flower:
You also omitted one: chronic leadfoot. :geek:
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett