Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Wyoming And Colorado

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:16 am

Jivermo wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:37 am
I would not presume to ask him why he totes the cactus around.
Why, thank-you for asking. I tote the cactus around because.

The poor thing is subjected to a lunatic life. No plant should ever have to endure the noise, the vibration, the utter inability to guess where the sun is going to be coming in from, the wide temperature extremes, the wind (with Chloe's bullet-proof CHT gauge readings, the wind this year is up past 60 mph), the chemical aerosols, the nationally diverse bug attacks and godknowswhat pollens and molds, the sometimes brutally sudden changes in temperature from 110* to an air-conditioned room at 72* in the span of three seconds, and yet, I have learned that the plant actually likes this life for reasons I cannot fathom. It stands taller than any Christmas Cactus I know of, because it had to grow in the wind. Every "leaf" knows damn well it may be called upon to provide photosynthesis at a moment's notice, so they all are equal in their color and every guess they may make as to which way to grow is answered by some dose of sun at some point.

Thus, the cactus serves as a metaphor for my life. Healthy-but-startled.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:47 am

Oh, man...I feel something headed our way...

"Who Moved My Cactus"..."How A Spiny Plant Can Move You to a New Level of Spiritual Enlightenment, and Offer Direction into the 21st Century."

"A modern day version of "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance", I couldn't put it down!
Michiko Kakuntana, NY Times Book Review

"Simply the best self help book to arrive in the past 25 years. Forget all the others; this is the one that delivers on its promise!"
Levi Grossman, Time Magazine

"Kellogg guides his reader through strange and unusual paths, seeking, always seeking, and questioning the reader, relentlessly. A book not for the lazy, he challenges you to arrive at your own conclusion, and one can almost feel his ruthless gaze, over your shoulder, if the path is deviated from. A marvelous read; one that can change your life!"
Charles Tailor, Salon Magazine

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:17 am

Jivermo wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:47 am
Oh, man...I feel something headed our way...

"Who Moved My Cactus"..."How A Spiny Plant Can Move You to a New Level of Spiritual Enlightenment, and Offer Direction into the 21st Century."
"Just what we need, another narcissist waxing resplendent nonsense from Nowhere, this reads like Edward Bellamy on ecstacy. Please God, save us from this sun-burned tsunami of simpering simile looking for a shore to devastate and smite this simpleton from another shot at self-publishing."
George Will - The Washington Post

“Once you’ve put one of his books down, you simply can’t pick it up again.”
Mark Twain - The Great Beyond

“This reads like it was written on a typewriter­—by a typewriter­.”
Randall Jarrell - author of The Bat Poet

“An itinerant peasant, snuffling absurdly over imbecile sentimenta­lities, giving a grave ear to quackeries­, snorting and eye-rollin­g with the best of them.”
HL Mencken

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:04 pm

Finally, "Omit needless words."
E.B. White

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:37 am

Jivermo wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:04 pm
Finally, "Omit needless words."
E.B. White
Yes, but . . . the above is not a review. It is a fine suggestion from the Elements of Style. So, as I was looking to round out the reviews, I noted how much I crave and love a seriously acerbic aside. There is respect in a truly devastating review or criticism, a respect for the intelligence and fortitude of the reader. Mark Twain's review (the actual book he panned, I do not remember) still makes me giggle.
Colin