Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Bismarck ND

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Bismarck ND

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:02 pm

Yep, 24 hours after leaving BusBerd in the greater Minneapolis metro scrum, I am here in Bismarck North Dakota glorying, glorying in the:
a) big sky
b) light traffic
c) fabulous 98* sunny day finally west of that stupid Atlantic Ocean mugginess
d) absence of mosquitoes and gnats and bugs and flies and creepy crawly insects
e) maximum head temp in a headwind for the past 419 miles of just 363* on a long hot hill
f) quiet generator bearings

. . . but you should know that the generator bearing job that I glossed over in some prior post was actually friggen hellacious:

It was going so well up to this point. I was organized, tidy, in-control, and the car was disassembling like a Bentley Manual Dream:

The dumb details, like successfully removing the thermostat, the hoover bit's 10mm bolt that holds the hoover bit to the fan housing, successfully removing the washers and retainers for the thermostat cross linkage, all by feel, all went fine. The time frame I had given myself was manageable:
* disassembly to commence @ 3:00PM
* generator out by 4:15 PM
* bearing replacement done by 5:30PM
* buttoned up by 7:30PM

Oh ha!
Everything was fine until I had to remove the pulley end bearing. On the Preparation Job on July 4th, I had managed to remove the bearings from the spare generator without any problem, so I assumed that this would be easy to remove the bearings from a Real Working Generator That I had Worked On Before. No. No. The failing bearing had sent some real heat into the armature, and everything was pretty well welded together.

Well, I could not get the three arm puller behind the bearing because there was a trapped "splash shield" between it and the armature. Finally told the splash shield, "ciao, baby" and mashed that thing all against the bearing . . . to no avail. I really cranked on that puller, I carefully hammered and PB Blasted, you can't get too tough on a delicate armature, folks. Nope. Nope. The sun is now behind the trees. I realize that I am losing this day in fits and starts. Seriously was alert to *not FUBARing* my only generator! I had to know when to call it off and reassemble and re-approach the issue later, after the schedule opens up. But I hate that. So I crank that puller some more and the outer shell of the bearing explodes. Now we CAN'T call it off. I peel off the fragments, the balls, the retainer, the seals, and the inner race looks terrible, and the armature end where the puller was grinding a pressed divot, looked terrible, and it is 7:10PM, and I am frantic. The engine compartment looks like chaos:

Worst of all, my attention is flagging. I feel a strong sense of giving up, just tired give-it-up fatigue, the bug bites all day are tormenting me, the filth of all that generator brush dust, the psychological load of keeping all of these parts in mind, the interior is just blown apart . . . . but I HAVE to figure this out! And not wreck the generator armature!
What do I do? The puller has NO purchase on the stupid inner race. I seeth at the race.
"All you had to do was slide off the stupid armature, would that have been so hard? We could have been DONE by now!" (say it in a gritted-teeth whisper/scream, that is how it sounded)

OHHH $#!+, now it is 7:20PM. Come on. COme on. Wait! Dremel. I can dremel the damn race off. Make two slices and chisel the race in half. Out comes the inverter, the dremel, the dissolution of the interior. This is what it looks like one minute after Maximum Hopeless:

Cleaned everything apologetically. Returned most Emergency Surgery Tools to their rightful places. Washed the graphite dust off my legs and face and arms and hands and socks no way. Reassembled the generator hurriedly.
Slapped it into the engine compartment and fan housing which kept slipping off the spacers that held it up high enough to let me clear the intake manifold. Hurriedly assembled the fan housing to the engine, hoover bit, throttle cable tube, dog house cover, conducted a hideously spastic thermostat cross bar washers and retainers installation by feel. Now put the damn fail-safe spring on. By feel. Yeah. Do it. No, you CAN'T NOT DO it. Somewhere within the mosquitoes' human blood cocktail hour around 9:15PM, I actually started the engine.
No more crackling rumbling. Phew that.
Colin

to be cont.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

zabo
Old School!

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Bismarck ND

Post by zabo » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:39 pm

whew. i feel like i was there and it wasn't fun.

I had a similar time recently just trying to remove my rear wheel. One of the nuts had welded itself to the stud. ( I think the high heat from an extreme mountain hill last year was the culprit)

After breaking two sockets a breaker bar and a lug wrench I had to pull out the cut off wheel and then ended up having to replace the stud.

That dremel sure has come in handy for you. Glad the rumbling is gone!
60 beetle
78 bus

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:29 pm

I think Chloe and I have sort of worked things out. The engine now has 8,124 miles on it, which is crazy. It has truly and inexplicably smoothed out. It has great power for a 1600. Runs ridiculously cool. Averages about 18-20 mpg @ 60 into prevailing westerly winds. I have video of the engine pulling at 55 mph on my way to aopisa's house in Vermont, and I have video of a hill pull outside of Bismarck, and the difference is noticeable even to my Kodak EZ Share.

We just did the traverse from Minnesota to Montana, and Chloe just hunkered down and executed. I could not have asked more of any car. I just love driving this thing flat out, flat out in 98* heat and headwinds and hills and the DD CHT just refuses to hit 364* even. Drive! it says. I had NO idea it was so hot yesterday. I knew we had a headwind, and the head temps just stayed rock-steady, so I floored it for hours out there on Interstate 94. When I pulled into the gas station in Bismarck, I was surprised by the heat without highway air flow blasting into the window. A guy on a Harley sure knew the temp, his phone told him. It said, 99* 4:33 PM. I was amazed. I thought it was at most 85*. THIS is the kind of Volkswagen driving I love best, w-o-r-r-y--f-r-e-e.

Drove into the night, energized by my arrival in the big west. The moon came up so orange. The morning came up so cloudy and cold. Camped here, where is "here"? Here is where you realize that you are dangerously exhausted. Here is a ranch exit off I-94 at 1:45AM:

These photographs were from this morning, a terrible 66* and cloudy morning, I turned on the heat and my exchangers were like, sorry we can't help you, the exhaust is barely warm.

I have had time to ponder the engine overhaul in Jack's garage in Pensacola, and I am gratified and still marvelling that all of those parts are just doing their thing, mile after mile. The engine certainly has a more aggressive sound than the old build, but it winds out better and it attacks hills better, and the ancient Appetite Commemorative Three-Arm Pressure Plate c.1969 is a joy. It grabs chatter-free and the pedal effort is just enough more than those pansy-ass new diaphragm deals that you respect it more. We are down to just two concerns. Will the #1 and #3 and #4 and even the #2 exhaust seats fall out, and do I have enough thread left on #3 and #4 and #1 and especially #2 exhaust screws to let me continue to back out the adjustments?

I think I will just run this thing.

Had a guy at the last gas stop in North Dakota really have to work his question out while I stood there. "Is that, is that a new car, did you buy it new, are they making those new now?"
"Naw, it is 47 years old."
"Wow, did you wax it or something?"

Found a worse route than the one I am already on. Of course, I had to take it:

Sun came out in Montana, and it got warmer, all the way to 83*:

I am trying to release all my anxiety, the car is truly running well finally. Here's to open roads:

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:04 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:29 pm
I am trying to release all my anxiety, the car is truly running well finally. Here's to open roads…

Yes, cheers to them!

I completely and utterly feel your pain/elation. I have 16,000+ miles on my JB-Welded #3 cam saddle, used camshaft that sat out in the rain, and no gauges. I panicked and bailed on Brandt/Anna in Utah last year, passed on holidays with my brother, and chickened out of Death Valley in June, but I think I'm coming to terms with the fact that these cars will Get Us There.

I love seeing this itinerary lap from East to West. Something about approaching the geography of the West makes the land seem more daunting and intimidating. Starting there and coasting down the back side doesn't seem as intriguing.

To open roads! (Shhh, don't tell my bus that we have 3,200 miles planned in the next month…)
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:34 am

asiab3 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:04 am
Amskeptic wrote:
I am trying to release all my anxiety, the car is truly running well finally. Here's to open roads…[/IMG]

I love seeing this itinerary lap from East to West.
My favorite part as well. I love seeing Colin's pictures as he enjoys America's beauty all while enjoying his 47 YO VW out on the road where they belong.

Colin, I'm curious. How much are you having to back off the exhaust valve adjustments at each adjustment? How often are you checking them? I've mentioned before that my bus also has tight exhaust valves at each adjustment. I read somewhere from an engine builder that it can take up to 20k miles for the valve adjustments to stabilize.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: updated valve adjustment photos

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:56 am

wcfvw69 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:34 am
asiab3 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:04 am
Amskeptic wrote:
I am trying to release all my anxiety, the car is truly running well finally. Here's to open roads…[/IMG]

I love seeing this itinerary lap from East to West.
My favorite part as well. I love seeing Colin's pictures as he enjoys America's beauty all while enjoying his 47 YO VW out on the road where they belong.

Colin, I'm curious. How much are you having to back off the exhaust valve adjustments at each adjustment? How often are you checking them? I've mentioned before that my bus also has tight exhaust valves at each adjustment. I read somewhere from an engine builder that it can take up to 20k miles for the valve adjustments to stabilize.

I have been averaging the "loss of three hours" per adjustment. That means a total of over a full turn and then some per each exhaust valve. You can see the screws sticking out noticeably. Will do another valve adjustment this morning and a compression test, then . . . hit the road.
Since I photographed my first on-the-road adjustment, I can do a comparison shot this morning.
Colin

RIGHT SIDE May 11, 2017

LEFT SIDE July 14, 2017

RIGHT SIDE July 14, 2017

Compression @ 4,500 ft elevation
107 / 112 / 107 / 112

sgkent
Addicted!

Post by sgkent » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:01 am

but I think I'm coming to terms with the fact that these cars will Get Us There.
that is why so many were left in fields, gas stations and wrecking yards in the 1970's and 1980's.... right?

So Colin is backing the exhaust valve screws out consistently? Could be stretching valves too. Bang!
TBone208 wrote: "You ppl are such windbags. Go use your crystal ball to get rich & predict something meaningful. Nobody knows what's going to happen. How are we supposed to take ppl who don't know the definition of a recession & "woman" seriously?"

Merlin The Wrench

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:12 pm

sgkent wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:01 am
So Colin is backing the exhaust valve screws out consistently? Could be stretching valves too. Bang!

Well aren't you just fun? You know better than that.
They are Osvat exhaust valves . . . enjoying easy temps but seats that are hopefully being seated further.
Photos of today's valve adjustment in the morning. Only #1 exhaust - lost another two hours in about 2,000 miles.
Colin

sgkent
Addicted!

Post by sgkent » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:27 pm

I don't know Colin - in 400,000 + miles in a 1600 I never once worried about running out of adjustment threads. Cathy asked me if you were staying here and rebuilding your engine, I told her I didn't think you seemed interested in it because you ignore answering me. Let me know soon if you plan to stay and if you picked up a replacement crankshaft from whom I referred you to. We can check all the other things locally I think if you decide to stay. If not that is Ok too. I have plenty of things to do.
TBone208 wrote: "You ppl are such windbags. Go use your crystal ball to get rich & predict something meaningful. Nobody knows what's going to happen. How are we supposed to take ppl who don't know the definition of a recession & "woman" seriously?"

Merlin The Wrench

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:33 am

sgkent wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:01 am
but I think I'm coming to terms with the fact that these cars will Get Us There.
that is why so many were left in fields, gas stations and wrecking yards in the 1970's and 1980's.... right?

Perhaps I should have added "…Get Us There if we don't ignore them."

:)
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

sgkent
Addicted!

Post by sgkent » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:15 am

:biggrin:

Merlin The Wrench

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:58 pm

sgkent wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:27 pm
I don't know Colin - in 400,000 + miles in a 1600 I never once worried about running out of adjustment threads. Cathy asked me if you were staying here and rebuilding your engine, I told her I didn't think you seemed interested in it because you ignore answering me. Let me know soon if you plan to stay and if you picked up a replacement crankshaft from whom I referred you to. We can check all the other things locally I think if you decide to stay. If not that is Ok too. I have plenty of things to do.

Let's *plan* on lunch at a nice Mexican restaurant with real Dos XXs cervesa somewhere around August 7th.

As written (maybe in this thread) I think I will try to run this thing for the duration. That said, I think there might be an issue with oil/valve guides.

So tell me, did your 400,000 miles of not worrying about adjustment threads include a dipsh*t machinist in Riverside who didn't know how to seat the inserts or press in new valve guides? Of course not. But here I am, making judgments every day of how I am going to spend my day. Things can and will change.
Colin

(today's valve adjustment photos up in the thread)

sgkent
Addicted!

Post by sgkent » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:31 pm

include a dipsh*t machinist in Riverside
No. The only guy I trust these days is myself. each piece has to be farmed out to the right shop and it changes all the time as people close up, sell, and retire.

The guy I worked for had a shop in San Bernardino and Highlands. His engine work was well sought after and we didn't have issues on the engines we built. The heads were spectacular and his flow work exemplary. His Formula Ford and Cosworth Indy motors in demand, The last time I visited with him in person he was sitting with about 10 of his staff in one of the trailers Goodyear sponsored, He was running a winning team for AL Unser Jr. He is still around and I think of him like a father of sorts. I just spoke with his son two weeks ago and everyone is doing well although he is in his 80's now and totally retired. You will never find a better machinist in the USA than he was. Equal but never better. I understand you VW guys like to do things your own way. I do too and that is why I made the decision this weekend to sell my bus once I get it prepared for market. Time to move on. $37K - $40K will be the asking price when it is ready in case you wonder.

BTW - the main problem I had in Riverside was getting married (and divorced) to the wrong gal.

Merlin The Wrench

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:07 am

Them's a lot of threads on the recent #1 exhaust adjuster... no pictures of #4 recently? I would be curious- wasn't that the seat with the largest protruding edges?

Compression test looks like a gutless and completely floggable Type 1, nice and even. :)

What is your speculation or evidence on/of valve guide issues?

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:47 pm

asiab3 wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:07 am
Them's a lot of threads on the recent #1 exhaust adjuster... no pictures of #4 recently? I would be curious- wasn't that the seat with the largest protruding edges?

Compression test looks like a gutless and completely floggable Type 1, nice and even. :)

What is your speculation or evidence on/of valve guide issues?

Robbie

Robbie, that is a recent #4 photograph up there:

I do not have a prior photograph of #3 and #4 on May 11th, because I felt like it was unnecessary to photograph them because they just looked so nice at the time.

But now, you like those threads? Lots of threads, huh? We gots threads. I will shim out the rocker stands if I have to.

Oil in the combustion chambers makes me think I have a valve guide issue, but I don't want a valve guide issue. Maybe it is rings rotating. MAYBE it is just running too cold. I need to procure some hotter plugs.
Colin