See what happens

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

sgkent
Addicted!

See what happens

Post by sgkent » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Colin - See what happens when you get stuck in the Midwest? We were hoping you'd be to NorCal early enough to go along. The campsite was so that these falls were between the trees - the photo in the camp ground doesn't show the falls well. The Merced RIver is almost still up to the level of the campgrounds.

Even though it was over 100F in the Sacramento valley, and 91F in Yosemite Valley, the bus was wonderful - oil got up to 260F climbing 6,000' into the mountains but the heads never went over 350F. They were steady all the way and the oil was usually 220 F except on that long hot climb. It finally peaked about 5,000 ' and then dropped down to 200F coming back down into the valley. Mileage on the first leg from Citrus Heights to Oakdale was 19.6 MPG. Cathy and my good friend Pat took Pat's Highlander with AC on all the way. Funny thing is it was 91 F in the Yosemite Valley July 7, 8 and 9. Pat and I went in 1972 in her 1967 Mustang and camped the week of June 24 - 27. It was so cold then we had to go back to Lee Vining to buy flannel shirts and jackets because it was over 100F in LA when we left there - we didn't bring warm enough clothes. It is really amazing how much the weather has changed since the 1970's.

TBone208 wrote: "You ppl are such windbags. Go use your crystal ball to get rich & predict something meaningful. Nobody knows what's going to happen. How are we supposed to take ppl who don't know the definition of a recession & "woman" seriously?"

Merlin The Wrench

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: See what happens

Post by asiab3 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:33 pm

Beautiful scenery and bus shots, Steve!

If you saw a valley employee running around in a red bug, I hope you gave him a hard time. We used to hang out and wrench until he moved out of Riverside to go work there. Actually I can't blame him, but it was fun not to be the youngest one at the car shows around here…

Did you make it up Priest Grade in second third gear? I've only done "Old Priest Grade" in my bus. First gear all the way down and hope the car in front of you doesn't ride their brakes…

Thanks for posting :)
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:19 am

sgkent wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:19 pm
Colin - See what happens when you get stuck in the Midwest?

I know! I am missing all that gorgeous record heat. 127* in Death Valley, a lost opportunity to test my horrendous exhaust valve seats . . .
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

sgkent
Addicted!

Post by sgkent » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:18 am

Robbie, I usually go up the newer Priest grade (Highway 120) in 2nd and 3rd. On the way home I come down Old Priest Grade in 1st and 2nd - mostly 2nd. Usually going up the hill there is usually some hot shot idiot who wants desperately to get by the VW bus he sees up ahead, but by the end of the climb he/she is 2 or 3 turns behind because they can't keep up. They don't realize buses are designed for that type highway. The bus gearing is there for that climb, the IRS suspension for the corners etc.

Colin wrote:
I know! I am missing all that gorgeous record heat. 127* in Death Valley, a lost opportunity to test my horrendous exhaust valve seats . . .
Colin
You looked so well adjusted to the heat when you showed up last year with that "Eau de Benzene" behind your ears, and in your clothes. It was so hot yesterday we had to air condition the garage so we could do the small chores when we got home. The bus ran so fine - and in its amazing unpredictable way - there was not a drop of oil on the floor when it sat last night. It seems to have a mind of its own when it comes to dripping oil. Yes - the dip stick shows there is plenty of oil in it. I added a 1/2 quart over full before we left to help with the cooling. Just have to keep the crank from playing in the oil if one adds too much because that will froth the oil and cause the oil to heat up also.

Steve
TBone208 wrote: "You ppl are such windbags. Go use your crystal ball to get rich & predict something meaningful. Nobody knows what's going to happen. How are we supposed to take ppl who don't know the definition of a recession & "woman" seriously?"

Merlin The Wrench