Athens, GA

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

jimbear
Getting Hooked!

Re: Athens, GA

Post by jimbear » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:32 pm

Well, I had the heads looked at by Len Hoffman and there are a number if issues: stripped time-sert on #4 plug hole (survivable), time-serts on two other plugs (survivable), multiple cracks in the heads near and in valve seats. I'll take better pics of the afflicted areas. So, I am looking at either a) having these welded and rebuilt--not doing it, b) doling out for a set of Hoffman Blueprint specials, or c) sourcing a set of already rebuilt 1.8 heads. Any thoughts?
'74 Hardtop Westy
Pretty much stock engine setup

sgkent
Addicted!

Post by sgkent » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:16 pm

if you plan to keep the bus and put any miles on it especially traveling, go with new heads from Len. You won't go wrong. His price is right too.
TBone208 wrote: "You ppl are such windbags. Go use your crystal ball to get rich & predict something meaningful. Nobody knows what's going to happen. How are we supposed to take ppl who don't know the definition of a recession & "woman" seriously?"

Merlin The Wrench

Hobug
Getting Hooked!

Post by Hobug » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:46 am

Get a pair of Len's heads and get back to enjoying your bus!
76 Westy
69 Squareback (auto)
63 Bug
73 Thing (Type 4 powered)

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:09 am

I'll be up in Athens next week. Does Len Hoffman welcome people to come by his shop? I'd like to see his work.

sgkent
Addicted!

Post by sgkent » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:46 am

Jivermo wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:09 am
I'll be up in Athens next week. Does Len Hoffman welcome people to come by his shop? I'd like to see his work.
I am pretty sure he would especially if the intent is to consider his work for purchase. I can tell you as a former machinist who worked on racing engines, he has the process down the way it should be done, and he speaks the language, both as good as anyone I worked with - and that is a real complement considering that my mentors built racing vehicles and engines for the Unser family, Walker Evans, and repaired indy 500 bound Cosworth heads among other things while I was working for them. Working with you on that exhaust I know you are both the engineering, and artistic type rolled in one so you two should hit it off.

Steve
TBone208 wrote: "You ppl are such windbags. Go use your crystal ball to get rich & predict something meaningful. Nobody knows what's going to happen. How are we supposed to take ppl who don't know the definition of a recession & "woman" seriously?"

Merlin The Wrench

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:14 am

Well, thank you. I'll shoot him an email and ask him, as well.
Ian

jimbear
Getting Hooked!

Post by jimbear » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:16 am

Jivermo,
Just drop him a line and see what his schedule is. His right hand man is out of town and he may be quite busy. I am just around the corner. Feel to touch base or swing by. PM for my cell.
'74 Hardtop Westy
Pretty much stock engine setup

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:25 am

Great. Thanks, I just sent you a PM. Ian

Hobug
Getting Hooked!

Post by Hobug » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:10 am

Jivermo wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:25 am
Great. Thanks, I just sent you a PM. Ian
Let me know if you get together, I'd like to join you.
76 Westy
69 Squareback (auto)
63 Bug
73 Thing (Type 4 powered)