I defiled it..

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: I defiled it..

Post by asiab3 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:28 am

Happyfolk wrote: That ketchup & mustard bus is Big Emma right?
Yep! Big Emma herself is enjoying a "spa week" in my family driveway, where she will enjoy a lush list of relaxing treatments like:
Poke the fuel sender with with a multimeter.
Acquire and install the absent door handle hardware.
Remove the silicone RTV caulking around the vent window and coerce a proper glass/rubber interface.
Make the sliding door sound less like Godzilla.

Big Emma's humans will be back from a sub-trip in a week to complete the crucible by removing the engine using only the tools they have onboard, without my help. I have been instructed to, "watch and offer advice, not physical help, so they learn to do it on their own," which I am fine with, since the weather is shaping up to be 72° and sunny.

I'm mostly excited because they are tremendous human beings that just so happen to travel in a bus.
hambone wrote:Robbie, are you staying in CA? Last I saw you, you were considering the big D.
Southern California for now! The Big D was considered, and ultimately IT rejected ME with its comfort food, delicious beer, kind citizens, and all. (The Woman I Travelled To See decided it best never to speak again.)

So it goes…
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:20 pm

love small case l sucks. Big D would have eaten your face off eventually anyway.
At least we get you back here on the left coast! Enjoyed camping with you at nutty Summit Lk.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:47 pm

hambone wrote:love small case l sucks. Big D would have eaten your face off eventually anyway.
At least we get you back here on the left coast! Enjoyed camping with you at nutty Summit Lk.
Me too, back in the ol' days, eating gasoline.
Colin :blackeye:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:09 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
hambone wrote:love small case l sucks. Big D would have eaten your face off eventually anyway.
Me too, back in the ol' days, eating gasoline.
Colin :blackeye:
Ahh, that seems like half a lifetime ago.

I miss the mountains deeply, though I'm not thrilled at the weather I experienced a few weekends ago. Did you know that at 19°, the curtains inside a Volkswagen freeze into solid sheets and adhere themselves to the interior paintwork? I do now.

Car started fine and drove away beautifully, just like it always does… (Though the rear defogger left a little to be desired.)
RobbieAtTheBeach
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:34 pm

asiab3 wrote:Did you know that at 19°, the curtains inside a Volkswagen freeze into solid sheets and adhere themselves to the interior paintwork? I do now.
Superbowl February 5th 75* and sunny, no curtains sticking to no windows nowhere.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:31 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
asiab3 wrote:Did you know that at 19°, the curtains inside a Volkswagen freeze into solid sheets and adhere themselves to the interior paintwork? I do now.
Superbowl February 5th 75* and sunny, no curtains sticking to no windows nowhere.
Colin
Superbowl February 5th, 60° and cloudy. The 405 was as empty as I've ever seen it. Put the car in 4th somewhere near San Diego and didn't let off until Newhall. This thing continues to rack up the miles without complaint.

Sore right foot, mitigated by 22mpg,
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:01 pm

hambone wrote:.... Big D would have eaten your face off eventually anyway....
Hey, I resemble that statement! You dissin' the Dirty D?! I gonna have to go all Trump on you and call you bad names :geek: Good thing I don't have a twitter account :flower:

Cheers,
Mike
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:34 pm

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:
Hey, I resemble that statement! You dissin' the Dirty D?! I gonna have to go all Trump on you and call you bad names :geek: Good thing I don't have a twitter account :flower:

Cheers,
Mike
I don't know what Bob's intentions are, but I agree with him. I would never have lasted! When the October bike rides mandated pants, I was already planning my bus' return to California. Aint no way I was about to succumb to the Naranja-level of salt attacks. Why, today I spent two hours taking BigEmma's steering damper off. (That's two bolts.) Rust does mysterious things.

Lucky my angle grinder makes short work of most mysteries. :pirate:
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:25 pm

http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:29 pm

asiab3 wrote:
TrollFromDownBelow wrote:

Cheers,
Mike
I don't know what Bob's intentions are, but I agree with him. I would never have lasted! When the October bike rides mandated pants, I was already planning my bus' return to California. Aint no way I was about to succumb to the Naranja-level of salt attacks. Why, today I spent two hours taking BigEmma's steering damper off. (That's two bolts.) Rust does mysterious things.

Lucky my angle grinder makes short work of most mysteries. :pirate:
Robbie
Yes, rock salt is our nemesis. However, as far as the weather, the Swedes have a saying...no such thing as bad weather, only poor clothing :flower: I just did the rear brakes on my 2011 VW CC, and had to have the young buck, buff neighbor kid help me break the bolts on the calipers with a half inch breaker bar with a shorty extension because of rust.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:49 pm

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:Yes, rock salt is our nemesis. However, as far as the weather, the Swedes have a saying...no such thing as bad weather, only poor clothing :flower: I just did the rear brakes on my 2011 VW CC, and had to have the young buck, buff neighbor kid help me break the bolts on the calipers with a half inch breaker bar with a shorty extension because of rust.
Lucky he was around! Aren't those the TTY bolts that are like 70 ft/lbs plus a quarter turn? I nearly took my Jetta off the jack stands the first time I broke those free… Hope you had some anti-seize on hand! :pirate:

Gotta go, Emma and Sven are making some pumpkin muffins that I can NOT decline!
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:50 pm

I had my 1/2 inch impact on full blast with 120 lbs of air at the line and the bolt wouldn't budge...enjoy those muffins :flower:
1976 VW Bus aka tripod