Wcfvw69 is Bored . . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Wcfvw69 is Bored . . .

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:41 pm

wcfvw69 wrote:Ya know, I'm kinda missing the fuel filter clean outs.. The updates are becoming boring!

:blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye:
Careful what you wish for. I could get damn good and tired of the cost of amusing you.
NaranjaWesty was parked at the jtauxe call:

That is a buckled left rear panel too:

The offender was a temporary visa driving on a restricted permit someone else's car who himself was out of town, no identified insurance company or coverage at this time. The frame has been torn asunder at the bumper bracket area.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

phaedrus76
Getting Hooked!

Re: Wcfvw69 is Bored . . .

Post by phaedrus76 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:53 pm

Deeply saddened. That was like a punch in the gut to see. Looks like its going to be a test of how good your own insurance company is to you, Colin. Crap, just so lousy. :angryfire:
76 Sage Green Deluxe Westy w/ manual trans.

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:28 pm

Wow... that really sucks Colin! WTF! I hope you've figured out that person's insurance situation and they will take care of that damage. What's the rest of the story? Did she just have her head up her ass while staring at her cell phone and plowed into your bus?
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:34 am

F*ck.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

skip
Getting Hooked!

Post by skip » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:08 am

Well its not the Twin Towers, but it will be a day you will not soon forget. Glad you are OK and calm, I think I would be in hand cuffs.
Complexity is the enemy of reliability.

76 Westfalia
74 Type 181

RinTinTin in Waldorf Astoria 1956

wdollie6
Addicted!

Post by wdollie6 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:54 am

Colin, this sucks, however it appears you handled the situation well, better than I would have. That being said if we are too focused on what might happen, nothing ever will...

Hopefully insurance will cover, someone's at least.
1972 Superbeetle Convertible
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback
1966 6V Beetle with Sunroof

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:26 am

Crap! but it will buff out....

was the offending driver the girl?
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

jtauxe
Addicted!

Post by jtauxe » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:44 am

Yes, that young Chinese woman is the offending driver. This was just so stupid is is hard to believe.

We get a lot of transients in Los Alamos. Not homeless people, but summer students, post-docs, and visiting scientists from all over the world. They come from a variety of backgrounds, from diverse cultures. I expect that Ling here is a physics student who, while perhaps brilliant at physics, does not understand how cars work and how big they are. Funny that -- it's the classic highly educated and yet somehow completely clueless and dysfunctional type of people that a place like Los Alamos is populated with.

This was the dumbest thing... Colin's Naranja is parked there on the street, and we are there working on getting my four Type 2s running (which we did!) and crunch! wham! How the **** can a driver NOT see a giant bright orange bus in full sun, and just sort of run into it as she drives by?

I actually don't think that she was on her phone. Watching her pull into a nearby parking space, with some temerity, gave me the impression that perhaps she had never driven a car before. That and her learner's permit. A friend of hers (another transient Chinese summer student) was to be leaving in a few days, and was looking to sell his red Dodge Stratus. She is going to be here for the year, and could use a car maybe, so when he left on a last-minute vacation to Yellowstone, he left her the keys to try out the car. No registration or insurance paperwork in the glovebox, though. Foreign nationals don't really understand these things, I guess.

FWIW, she did feel bad, apologizing for being careless. It was just so unbelievably stupid.

Despite this stupidity, Naranjo is still fully functional (except for the rear left side marker) and drivable. And we did have a VERY productive two days, tuning four sets of dual carbs, and bringing to life a 1972 largely unmolested Sportsmobile that had not run in 20 years. But more on that in other posts, no doubt.
John
"The bus came by and I got on. That's when it all began..." - Garcia/Weir/Kreutzman
http://vw.tauxe.net

Ronin10
Getting Hooked!

Post by Ronin10 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:37 pm

Crummy situation, but not without precedence. Like someone said before, it'll likely come down to how good your insurance company is to you. Will they pay for NOS parts if they can be found? Will they only pay someone to do minimal straightening, slap some bondo on it, and do a cheap respray? We wait with anticipation.

Good luck and keep us updated on what happens. BTW, I think I have paint mixing codes for the Chrome Yellow if you need them. Went through this with my old bus a few years back.
Oscar: 1976 Sage Green Bus, Stock Motor, Solid Lifters, Manual Transaxle

luftvagon
Old School!

Post by luftvagon » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:59 pm

:pale:
1981 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia - air-cooled Type4 1970cc CV (hydraulic lifters, 42x36 valves, stock cam, microSquirt FI with wasted spark ignition)
1993 Ford F-250 XL LWB Extended Cab 7.3L IDI

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:32 pm

Sorry to see. It IS fixable. Could have been worse.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:52 pm

It wasn't a Road Warrior incident, and you're physically OK. Big pluses in my book. But, damn it all, she shoulda been paying attention. It's a bus, for cryin' out loud, lady. Hit a goddam Lexus or something.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:57 pm

Jivermo wrote:It wasn't a Road Warrior incident, and you're physically OK. Big pluses in my book. But, damn it all, she shoulda been paying attention. It's a bus, for cryin' out loud, lady. Hit a goddam Lexus or something.
I have played a pecular phone tag with Lin Ling this morning. The number for the owner of the car that she gave to the officer and I was not the correct number. I called her and requested the correct number , and it takes me into voice mail only. I think I shall pay an early morning visit to his alleged residence in the morning.

Then I went to work:

The impact pulled the left rear bumper bracket down. I took the occasion of the opened frame box to hit it with rust catalyzing primer, then jacked the weight of the rear, 2,300 lbs, onto a bumper bolt without the bracket, then "tapped" with my sledge until the hole was sitting a bit higher:

The battery tray is jacked in the middle and pulled away from the rear quarter panel to show the secret places behind our best efforts at underside protection:

Pretty spot to work:

Touched up all exposed metal because rain is coming. I hate to see that buckled left panel, but hope it will spontaneously straighten when I find a shop that will PULL properly:

After measuring the displacement of the left rear bracket, I used this "brake" to unfold the left end of the bumper:

Installed the bumper with two offsetting seatbelt anchors (from my switch to retractables) so I can have some continuing protection from the distracted . . . :

Saw threatening clouds and scampered down the hill .. .. .. :

.. .. .. to the sunnier valley of Espanola where I painted my mangled bumper with a paint brush:

Here you can see that the bumper can at least provide some nominal protection:

The car absorbed a pretty good whallop. I am so glad that I had upgraded to the factory washers and four 17mm bolts and threw out those three 15mm rusty bumper bolts with no washers that it came with. These bumpers and brackets came off with ease, the threads were good.

Remember the good ol' days, like back on September 10th?
Colin

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

chachi
Old School!

Post by chachi » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:06 am

suck.
1974 transporter panel, 2.0 dual solex
1991 vanagon NAHT, RJE 2.3

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:51 am

Wasn't Lin Ling one of those pandas at a zoo somewheres? Check there. Beginning to sound like this happened in Miami. Since i am on the verge of political incorrectness, waters I seem to breast stroke in fairly often, I shall end my commentary on this indignity here. Good luck.