IAC's Itinerant Freezing His Donkey Off

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

MonoCone
Getting Hooked!

Re: IAC's Itinerant Freezing His Donkey Off

Post by MonoCone » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:34 pm

Jivermo wrote:I'm here with a hundred bucks, to help fund a new tank and an Itinerant workday for Colin, with Colin. I'd love to pitch in physically to help, but I'm down here in Miami. But, getting the $$$ in play is easy. Main difficulty to this entire scheme, as I see it, is getting our guru to accept.
Guru been quiet today. Hope not because of being overwhelmed with gasoline vapors.
To Really Live You Must Go Back to the Mountains.
The Mountains are Where I Am and What I Am.
69 Westfalia 1600 DP; 2002 Eurovan Camper
When you elect a clown, expect a circus.

Formerly posted as OB Bus on this forum - many years ago....

Happyfolk
Getting Hooked!

Post by Happyfolk » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:54 pm

Jivermo wrote:I'm here with a hundred bucks, to help fund a new tank and an Itinerant workday for Colin, with Colin. I'd love to pitch in physically to help, but I'm down here in Miami. But, getting the $$$ in play is easy. Main difficulty to this entire scheme, as I see it, is getting our guru to accept.
I'd pitch in. He probably won't want to accept but he almost has to. We'd need to find a day when he doesn't have an appointment and doesn't have far to travel to his next appointment. He has been removing mass quantities of debris from his fuel filters. That tank must be pretty bad. It looks like he's in Portland for a few days. If somebody there could order the tank I'd throw in $50. Just give me your Paypal account email and I'll send the cash. If you order soon there should be enough time to get it there by the time he goes through. Bus Depot says the tank would ship in 1-3 working days.

Ronin10 says he has a fuel pump for him when he gets to Seattle in 2 days which should help.
79 CA FI Westy
Mexico Beige
"Sandy"

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:09 pm

Happyfolk wrote:
Jivermo wrote:Main difficulty to this entire scheme, as I see it, is getting our guru to accept.
I'd pitch in. He probably won't want to accept but he almost has to. We'd need to find a day when he doesn't have an appointment and doesn't have far to travel to his next appointment. He has been removing mass quantities of debris from his fuel filters. That tank must be pretty bad. It looks like he's in Portland for a few days. If somebody there could order the tank
It might take a bit of collusion on the part of the Portland crowd. Take Colin to their regular Monday at the Lucky Lab; make sure he gets good and lubricated on some of Portland's finest microbrew; surreptitiously drop Naranaja's engine while he isn't looking; then next morning present him with a new tank and little choice but to install it. :pirate:
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Happyfolk
Getting Hooked!

Post by Happyfolk » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:22 pm

SlowLane wrote: It might take a bit of collusion on the part of the Portland crowd. Take Colin to their regular Monday at the Lucky Lab; make sure he gets good and lubricated on some of Portland's finest microbrew; surreptitiously drop Naranaja's engine while he isn't looking; then next morning present him with a new tank and little choice but to install it. :pirate:
Of course there's no way he can get wind of this. Everybody....shhhhh! :joker:

No really, we all know he's driving a recently purchased vehicle that he planned to whip into shape during this trip instead of driving one of his creampuffs that he's already gone through thoroughly. He knows this more than anybody and I'm sure will realize that he needs to put this gas tank issue behind him ASAP and get on to enjoying this nice bus with so few miles on it and telling us all how great it is! :cheers:
79 CA FI Westy
Mexico Beige
"Sandy"

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:30 pm

my fear would also be that the new replacement tanks are junk compared to an original.

well, anyone who is serious, let's try and get the word out. who can come up with a good solution either up in the Portland area? or maybe down here in Eureka.

There was a short gap between Eureka and San Francisco that I was hoping to maybe grab a half day on, but would happily surrender that to aid in this project. Ill make some calls myself, but my resources around here are somewhat limited. Keep each other posted on the progress.

whomever can come up with a solid workable plan, we can send our donations to that person to help move it forward.
1979 California Transporter

Happyfolk
Getting Hooked!

Post by Happyfolk » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:35 pm

airkooledchris wrote:my fear would also be that the new replacement tanks are junk compared to an original.
Original tanks are junk:
Ratwell.com wrote: Why do VW tanks rust?

Most U.S. automobiles of air-cooled vintage used steel fuel tanks made from a steel that is covered with a tin lead alloy in a process called terne plating. This rustproofed the interior and also helped to protect it against salt and other corrosive agents creating a fuel tank that would last the life of the vehicle. Another term you may come across in your Google searches is Ni-terne. This is steel that has been flash coated with Nickel prior to the tin/lead coating to provide an extra layer of protection. Apparently, the original terne plating technique used can cause the plating to slowly dissolve in the presence of oxygenated fuels and clog the fuel system so maybe it's luck rather than by design that we don't have other problems. Of course, terne being lead based is environmentally unsound.

For some reason unknown to me, VW chose not to use terne plated steel for their fuel tanks. Of course a lack of Helium never stopped the Germans from making flying bombs so why be bothered by a lot of rust in a wet country? Even though it was evident when they published their fuel tank restoration advice in their workshop manuals that tank cleaning was a concern, they continued the practice of installing their unprotected fuel tanks into every air-cooled VW made.
We'd probably also need to order a new filler neck, sender seal, and fuel/vapor lines.

I think if we order quick enough Portland is probably do-able. The sooner the better! Hell, I'd place the order if I knew where to ship it to.
79 CA FI Westy
Mexico Beige
"Sandy"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:42 pm

Awwww, you all are so sweet.

This tank stays in.
Car drives fine.
You should all be aware that this is a learning experience for me that is a benefit to you.
a) you can clean your filters instead of replace them. I am proof positive.
b) L-Jet fuel injection systems are not merely robust, they are very robust.
c) new tanks have had fitment issues
d) as long as it is not 41* with blotching rain spatters, cleaning the fuel filter is not a big deal
e) I have daily practice at exiting traffic pretty cleanly, a useful skill.
f) I am curious, can you drive-clean a tank in 20,000 miles? Will get back to you . . . :cyclopsani:
g) fuel filler hoses and whatnot prefer being left alone, the Road Warrior had an original install of tank and filler and evap hoses last for 36 years and 588,238 miles without being touched
h) this is not at all a big deal in the great scheme of life, it is but a minor annoyance that is a natural consequence of a gamble I took on October 5th, 2015, when I told the prior owner I could get the fuel to flow without pulling the engine
i) I will not accept any charity in this circumstance
j) you c-c-c-can get some g-g-g-good pictures at filter co-col-cold-cl-cl-cleaning stops:

k) YES! This is part of the adventure and I would not have it any other way
l) nothing mechanical has ever irritated me, only cold and wet does . . . :blackeye:
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Happyfolk
Getting Hooked!

Post by Happyfolk » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:57 pm

Colin,

You may be able to catch the bulk of the loose particles in your filters for the near-term, but this problem isn't going away long-term, right? These tanks aren't rust-proofed.

The only ways to fix it are:
A. Clean and seal the original tank. No time for this, right?
B. Replace the tank with an old stock cleaned and resealed tank. Anybody have one?
C. Order a new tank.

It it weren't for this tank rust issue you'd be having a great trip right?

You already need a new fuel pump, right?

How soon until the micro-silt from the rust clogs the injectors?

You're driving an otherwise fantastic bus. Enjoy it!

Mike
79 CA FI Westy
Mexico Beige
"Sandy"

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:40 pm

Happyfolk wrote: B. Replace the tank with an old stock cleaned and resealed tank. Anybody have one?
I have a clean-looking used tank and tried to give it to him, along with facilities to facilitate the install. No dice.

I don't get it. The world does not need to know if you can clean a tank by removing a thimble full of gunk from the fuel filter on the side of the road in the rain every other day. I think there may be something dark and deeply psychological going on.

Colin, the Flagellant Air Cooled Mechanic.
Truth is like poetry.
And most people fucking hate poetry.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:54 pm

Happyfolk wrote:Colin,
It it weren't for this tank rust issue you'd be having a great trip right?
You already need a new fuel pump, right?
How soon until the micro-silt from the rust clogs the injectors?
You're driving an otherwise fantastic bus. Enjoy it!
Mike

Look at the photograph up there! Did you see that? I was there. Cleaning my filter, but I was there. I was there.
Is that not a great trip? Is this not a great trip? Re-read my posts!
Are you missing the adventure as you stress out over my fuel tank VARNISH (it is not rust)?

Wcfvw69 has written that he is so done with reading about my fuel filter issues, hippiewannabe sees deep dark psychological issues, the miz is having flashbacks to his own challenges on the road, yet I spent the morning talking with my Hill& Vaughn compatriot in Post Falls ID and found a very interesting person that I think I would have liked to been friends with over the subsequent thirty three years, I feel fortunate to have this life that allows me to visit with people all across the country, and you are stressing out over my fuel tank for me? .

What do you think you were reading when my generator overhaul in the NM national forest went wonky from LocTite used to hold the bearing and I had to re-rebuild it in jtauxe's garage until 2:00AM with an appointment due to start at 9:00AM?
How about when the jack failed in Yuma with a BobD engine sitting on crumbling cinder blocks? Remember when Chloe needed an engine pull at Elwood's then on the curb in Lake Elsinore the very next day, then heads off in Garland TX? Wrecking the alternator pulley on the BobD in 2014 and missing my appointment with whc03grady? You have read many accounts over the years of challenges here in the Itinerary Forum, do you think those were less stressful? Wcfvw69, were those the good ol' days you are missing right now? NOOoo! These are the good ol' days right here, and I am enjoying this fine 1977 Westfalia just fine. Nothing dire, nothing new, just another Itinerary with its own specific challenges . . . like I have to clean the fuel filter and pray to the dogged pump.

Two or three four minute filter cleans per day are hardly ruining my day out here. Chill! I know I have been! Enjoy the pictures! Relax! I will certainly call out for additional help/resources if I can find the time to do the tank cleaning when and as I see fit. I'll do my diligence not to put others at risk when I lose propulsion on fast-moving freeways.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:09 am

Well said. Whew! We can all move on to other stuff.

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:13 am

poptop tom wrote:Personally, I think Colin enjoys the fuel tank saga! :bom:
Told ya so!
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

Squeebles
I'm New!

Post by Squeebles » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:43 am

Jivermo wrote:Well said. Whew! We can all move on to other stuff.
I'll second that. I enjoy the whole saga, fuel filters included. There are people I would worry about in these circumstances, Colin ain't one of them.
1977 VW Bus, 2.0 FI

Happyfolk
Getting Hooked!

Post by Happyfolk » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:41 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Look at the photograph up there! Did you see that? I was there. Cleaning my filter, but I was there. I was there.
Is that not a great trip? Is this not a great trip? Re-read my posts!
Are you missing the adventure as you stress out over my fuel tank VARNISH (it is not rust)?

Wcfvw69 has written that he is so done with reading about my fuel filter issues, hippiewannabe sees deep dark psychological issues, the miz is having flashbacks to his own challenges on the road, yet I spent the morning talking with my Hill& Vaughn compatriot in Post Falls ID and found a very interesting person that I think I would have liked to been friends with over the subsequent thirty three years, I feel fortunate to have this life that allows me to visit with people all across the country, and you are stressing out over my fuel tank for me? .

What do you think you were reading when my generator overhaul in the NM national forest went wonky from LocTite used to hold the bearing and I had to re-rebuild it in jtauxe's garage until 2:00AM with an appointment due to start at 9:00AM?
How about when the jack failed in Yuma with a BobD engine sitting on crumbling cinder blocks? Remember when Chloe needed an engine pull at Elwood's then on the curb in Lake Elsinore the very next day, then heads off in Garland TX? Wrecking the alternator pulley on the BobD in 2014 and missing my appointment with whc03grady? You have read many accounts over the years of challenges here in the Itinerary Forum, do you think those were less stressful? Wcfvw69, were those the good ol' days you are missing right now? NOOoo! These are the good ol' days right here, and I am enjoying this fine 1977 Westfalia just fine. Nothing dire, nothing new, just another Itinerary with its own specific challenges . . . like I have to clean the fuel filter and pray to the dogged pump.

Two or three four minute filter cleans per day are hardly ruining my day out here. Chill! I know I have been! Enjoy the pictures! Relax! I will certainly call out for additional help/resources if I can find the time to do the tank cleaning when and as I see fit. I'll do my diligence not to put others at risk when I lose propulsion on fast-moving freeways.
Colin
Colin, yes the scenery is gorgeous as are your photos. As long as you're enjoying yourself that's all that matters. I'm very interested in your fuel filter cleaning sagas as I've been dealing with the same issue lately. But since I'm not putting on the miles you are I'm not cleaning filters every day.

If you like the smell of gas that much and praying to your fuel filter as you motor down the road then by all means continue on! :thumbleft:
79 CA FI Westy
Mexico Beige
"Sandy"

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:29 am

poptop tom wrote:
poptop tom wrote:Personally, I think Colin enjoys the fuel tank saga! :bom:
Told ya so!
X3!

IDK, in my mind, my thoughts go to the line "I'm too old for this shit" to want to intentionally deal with a continuing clogging, breakdown inducing, fuel filter situation. I'd say that the vast majority of this sites readers would agree that taking a 40+ year old classic VW on a cross the country road trip would be stress inducing all by itself. Even if said bus had been gone through mechanically and passed all tests before hand there's still a high potential of potential mechanical challenges. As Colin is stating, he doesn't see this fuel tank saga as a negative but rather, is making a positive spin out it. To his point, it's HIS decision and we (I) should respect it even if we think a psychological intervention wouldn't be a bad thing. :compress:
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.