Itinerary Appointment 06/01

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

wdollie6
Addicted!

Re: Itinerary Appointment 06/01

Post by wdollie6 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:09 am

A sad story, yet to be. The 72 Super Beetle Convertible of bent fuel rod fame, made its way to our house in Flagler Beach FL this summer for an enjoyable one week family vacation and its permanent home, locked up in a tight garage where I thought it would be safe until a return this fall. Apparently Hurricane Matthew doesn't understand what 'safe' means as it appears that Flagler will be very close to the eyewall, if not in it, 120-130mph winds along with a 6-10 ft. of storm surge. Safe to say that Layla is destined for a submerging of brackish water, at best...

While this is the least of my worries, does anyone know if she can be salvaged from this type of incident (assuming that she is even still in the area)? Colin what say you? I rebuilt it from the scrap heap I suppose I could do it again.

Damn you Matthew, damn you...
1972 Superbeetle Convertible
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback
1966 6V Beetle with Sunroof

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:16 pm

wdollie6 wrote:A sad story, yet to be. The 72 Super Beetle Convertible of bent fuel rod fame, made its way to our house in Flagler Beach FL this summer for an enjoyable one week family vacation and its permanent home, locked up in a tight garage where I thought it would be safe until a return this fall. Apparently Hurricane Matthew doesn't understand what 'safe' means as it appears that Flagler will be very close to the eyewall, if not in it, 120-130mph winds along with a 6-10 ft. of storm surge. Safe to say that Layla is destined for a submerging of brackish water, at best...

While this is the least of my worries, does anyone know if she can be salvaged from this type of incident (assuming that she is even still in the area)? Colin what say you? I rebuilt it from the scrap heap I suppose I could do it again.

Damn you Matthew, damn you...
GET a human to GET the car the hell out of there. I would have brought a Makita grinder to access the car, to heck with the building, right? This hurricane has been coming for days . . .
Colin
(winds are less than 30 mph for another couple of hours)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

wdollie6
Addicted!

Post by wdollie6 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:19 am

Tried to get some neighbors to drive it along with them when they evacuated but not to be. No one was comfortable driving a standard, can you imagine...? The good news is that it appears that the storm has moved to the east slightly, hopefully enough to keep the storm surge down in the 3 to 6 foot range vs. 11 ft. plus they originally forecasted. Maybe, just maybe, we will be wet but everything will still be in one place, I'll take that over the dire predictions from last night.

That being said Layla will definitely be going for a dunk as the surge we are talking about will still be enough to cover our property by several feet. Anything that can be done right after the event to minimize damage? A good rinse if we have water available?
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:26 am

wdollie6 wrote:Tried to get some neighbors to drive it along with them when they evacuated but not to be. No one was comfortable driving a standard, can you imagine...? The good news is that it appears that the storm has moved to the east slightly, hopefully enough to keep the storm surge down in the 3 to 6 foot range vs. 11 ft. plus they originally forecasted. Maybe, just maybe, we will be wet but everything will still be in one place, I'll take that over the dire predictions from last night.

That being said Layla will definitely be going for a dunk as the surge we are talking about will still be enough to cover our property by several feet. Anything that can be done right after the event to minimize damage? A good rinse if we have water available?

Open everything up and use compressed air and vacuum to dry dry dry everything you can. If air cleaner was below waterline, you will have to drain and refill.

Disconnect and remove battery.
If fuel tank was below water line, it needs to be drained.
Immediately drain the engine oil and transaxle oil.

Compressed air for the generator. I would remove the starter if it was immersed, just make sure everything is fully dry before re-energizing.

Rinse interior with a mild antiseptic to thwart mold. Following the disinfectant's proper proportion for water disinfecting , should not affect colorfastness.

Add a quart of oil and rotate engine by hand only. If it does not make a full two turns without locking up, remove spark plugs and blast the holes with compressed air. Allow engine to dry out thoroughly but have oil in crankcase and try to have galleries oiled.

Drain carburetor of water, compressed air and refill bowl with clean gas through air vent tube.

Fuel pump you can remove fuel hoses and gently puff the diaphragms/reed valves with air.

Refill engine and transaxle and try to start with a fresh tank of gas (and a fresh battery if yours was immersed), run for five to ten minutes and change again. Be prepared to repack front and rear wheel bearings.

Man, I hope your car is above storm surge.
Colin

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:11 am

Amskeptic wrote:
wdollie6 wrote:Tried to get some neighbors to drive it along with them when they evacuated but not to be. No one was comfortable driving a standard, can you imagine...? The good news is that it appears that the storm has moved to the east slightly, hopefully enough to keep the storm surge down in the 3 to 6 foot range vs. 11 ft. plus they originally forecasted. Maybe, just maybe, we will be wet but everything will still be in one place, I'll take that over the dire predictions from last night.

Open everything up and use compressed air and vacuum to dry dry dry everything you can. If air cleaner was below waterline, you will have to drain and refill.

Disconnect and remove battery.
If fuel tank was below water line, it needs to be drained.
Immediately drain the engine oil and transaxle oil.

Compressed air for the generator. I would remove the starter if it was immersed, just make sure everything is fully dry before re-energizing.

Rinse interior with a mild antiseptic to thwart mold. Following the disinfectant's proper proportion for water disinfecting , should not affect colorfastness.

Add a quart of oil and rotate engine by hand only. If it does not make a full two turns without locking up, remove spark plugs and blast the holes with compressed air. Allow engine to dry out thoroughly but have oil in crankcase and try to have galleries oiled.

Drain carburetor of water, compressed air and refill bowl with clean gas through air vent tube.

Fuel pump you can remove fuel hoses and gently puff the diaphragms/reed valves with air.

Refill engine and transaxle and try to start with a fresh tank of gas (and a fresh battery if yours was immersed), run for five to ten minutes and change again. Be prepared to repack front and rear wheel bearings.

Man, I hope your car is above storm surge.
Colin
You forgot the most important steps:

- Call insurance company, get vehicle declared a total loss
- Receive large check (net of scrap value)
- Proceed as above
Truth is like poetry.
And most people fucking hate poetry.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:30 am

hippiewannabe wrote: You forgot the most important steps:

- Call insurance company, get vehicle declared a total loss
- Receive large check (net of scrap value)
- Proceed as above

Some people do not want a salvage title if it can be avoided, but thank you.
Colin

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:11 am

Salt water is ruinous. Once inundated, you car is on borrowed time, no matter what steps you take. Now that the storm has passed the Flagler Beach area, do you have an update on what happened?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:38 pm

Jivermo wrote:Salt water is ruinous. Once inundated, you car is on borrowed time, no matter what steps you take. Now that the storm has passed the Flagler Beach area, do you have an update on what happened?
Not that dire if attacked in a timely fashion. You know, they SALT the damn roads up north. More salt than the oceans plus atmospheric oxygen plus hot engine and body ferrous oxide plus continuous water splash. Under ocean water, at least the oxygen is limited . . .
Colin

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:44 pm

Jivermo wrote:Salt water is ruinous. Once inundated, you car is on borrowed time, no matter what steps you take. Now that the storm has passed the Flagler Beach area, do you have an update on what happened?
we did ok with the storm and I had friends on the coast near Daytona that did pretty good (mostly wind)
How did you fare? :pale:
Jeff
"I drink, therefore yes ma'am..."

wdollie6
Addicted!

Post by wdollie6 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:18 am

My apologies for the delay in response, business travel gets in the way.

The good news is that Matthew strayed to the East further than expected keeping the high winds out of Flagler, unfortunately the surge destroyed A1A just north of my location. Based on feedback by neighbors it appears that the damage to the garage roof did not impact Layla, rather was focused on an area over the in-law apartment which can easily be repaired. I will be there this weekend to verify but believe that we dodged a bullet, maybe, just maybe I will be driving her while in Flagler, although my primary focus will be repairing the roof.

I will update once I am on site, thanks for the salt water tips, warnings and thoughts.

Wayne
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:20 am

wdollie6 wrote:maybe I will be driving her while in Flagler, although my primary focus will be repairing the roof.
Wayne
Heh . . . forget the roof. Drive!
ColinInFlorida :bom:

wdollie6
Addicted!

Post by wdollie6 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:41 am

Followed your advice and took it out for a relaxing drive, 15-20 miles. She ran great and temperature was perfect for top down, 85 degrees and sunny. A few things left to do; replace gas tank filler neck as all other hoses have been replaced but still smelling gas fumes after filling more than half full (I actually have the part just haven't had the time to replace), fix gas gauge so it reads properly, adjust doors and windows so they fit up water tight, polish the chrome, and determine what causes slight wobble in steering wheel (all underneath was replaced; McPhersons, damper, tie rods, etc. and yes the idler bushing). It was fine after initial alignment... Sounds like a spring of 2017 appointment in the works :scratch:

Now, as related to that roof and the obvious gouging of FL homeowners...

Wayne
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:37 am

happy to hear the car is fine! Maybe we will see you at BugJam the weekend of Nov 12 in Dade city!
We are hoping to camp at the show and take the wife's bug. :flower:
"I drink, therefore yes ma'am..."

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:22 am

wdollie6 wrote:Followed your advice and took it out for a relaxing drive, 15-20 miles. She ran great and temperature was perfect for top down, 85 degrees and sunny. A few things left to do; replace gas tank filler neck as all other hoses have been replaced but still smelling gas fumes after filling more than half full (I actually have the part just haven't had the time to replace), fix gas gauge so it reads properly, adjust doors and windows so they fit up water tight, polish the chrome, and determine what causes slight wobble in steering wheel (all underneath was replaced; McPhersons, damper, tie rods, etc. and yes the idler bushing). It was fine after initial alignment... Sounds like a spring of 2017 appointment in the works :scratch:

Now, as related to that roof and the obvious gouging of FL homeowners...

Wayne
Get your front tires checked for balance and trueness. Super beetles are notorious for the shimmy. If you can find someone to balance them on the car, even better. I worked at an alignment/frame shop in the early 80's when these bugs were still plentiful daily drivers. The shop also balanced and trued the tires on the car. Guess what car was one our best customers? Yup, super beetles. Those tall, skinny tires loved to be very sensitive to out of balance and out of round conditions. Many times, we had to true the tires w/a machine that cut off the high spots of the tire and then balanced them on the car. This spun the entire rotating assembly and balanced everything to include the drum. If the front end suspension was tight w/out any worn parts, it would cure the shimmy 100% of the time. The only downside to doing it like this is you had to always insure if the tire was taken off that it was put back on exactly in the same position on the drum.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

wdollie6
Addicted!

Post by wdollie6 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:45 am

Good information, thanks, I will try to find someone in Daytona who has that capability. Sad thing is I only have probably 200 miles on it since it was initially aligned and balanced, but balance was done individually on each tire not while mounted. Alignment is still outstanding just feel that slight shimmy.

Look forward to driving it at Thanksgiving. Already miss driving my bus but an early snow and daily flurries in upstate NY will keep it in the garage until spring. Probably okay as I still have a long list of items to clean up.
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback