Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Air-Cooled Greetings From Marlborough Country

Post by Amskeptic » Sun May 22, 2016 4:08 pm

Well.
That just happened . . .

Let's begin with the fact that I was supposed to have an appointment with drozdenko (Lee) and spin n wheels (Ethan). Before I had even found the coffee, a familiar gold Vanagon showed up, remarkably under its own power six years and six days after this:

Read all about it here:
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=8228

Here's a shot of Dad of type2sam and his Vanagon, a half-decade since I last saw him:

Apparently, his water-cooled du JB Weld engine is trucking along nicely at 124,076 miles. Yeah, but what about the appointment with drozdenko and spin n wheels? Oh, right:

Well, drozdenko (Lee) and spin n wheels (Ethan) thought it might be nice to give time to our newest member, Mysterymachine18 (Zack), to run him through a tune-up procedure on his recently acquired 1972 bus. I thought that was a nice thing to do, too.
"You can work with him while I just take care of a few things before we drop the Super Beetle body down on the floor pan," said Ethan.
"I'll work on my rear lights," that is what drozdenko said.
Spooky laughter, that is what drozdenko's poptop said (apparently, there were two children up there for most of the day).

Here's Ethan with his late model fuel-injected engine sitting in a Super Beetle chassis:

From this angle, it looks like any other beetle since 1939, except maybe the more robust heater ducts:

Here's a picture of the Super Beetle sitting on its rolling platform, yes, but here too is a mysterious paparazzi lurking near drozdenko's bus taking pictures of the proceedings:

Then look who shows up. Iwantmybustorun and his beautiful bus.

He has a story or two, too. We touched on some of the highlights of, you know, fuel hoses getting pulled off of gas tanks and listening to gasoline sizzle in incandescent trouble lights and stuff.
(now you know the back story to that cryptic sentence in May of 2011:
Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Connecticut

Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:33 pm

iwantmybustorun wrote:
As many have said lately, about their day with you and the lack of picture taking, I too get so caught up in our activities that I never take the time to snap a shot for the record.

Caught up in little activities like ... I dunno, unplugging the trouble lamp?
Colin :pirate:
)

So anyway, the appointment with drozdenko and spin n wheels . . . here is Mysterymachine18 (Zack) working on his valves. He did a fine job, nailing the tactile sensation of an easy exhaust .006" and a slightly more snug intake .006".

Here he is filing the breaker points while I chattered and socialized with our Itinerant Air-Cooled Reunion crowd:

Our other new member/old hand, CrRusty, aka Randy, helps here with lubricating the distributor bushings:

Randy has been an instrumental contributor to the enjoyment of these appointments at Ethan's house. He was there last year, when we thought Ethan's Vanagon had a lousy alternator bearing but it turned out to be a loose flex plate on his automatic transmission Vanagon.
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=12534#p214197

Man, I sure was glad we didn't have to deal with stuff like that THIS year . . . just a nice easy tune-up with Zack. Better get to it, it is almost 1:00PM you know . . .

But what about drozdenko's appointment? Here he is thinking, I think, the very same thing:

In the below photograph, things have CHANGED. We started the 1972 bus after a successful valve adjustment/breaker point clean and gap, and we were about to check the timing when such a terrible rattle emanated from the engine that we had to shut it down immediately. OK, found some loose flex plate-to-torque converter bolts, tightened them carefully, started the engine, oh noooo, terrible rattle still. That is when we discovered that the torque converter could turn about a half an inch while the engine was completely still. Here we go again . . at Ethan's house again . . . loose flex plate/ torque converter again . . . couldn't happen to a nicer more deserving bunch, I say.
We just looked at each other. There was no letting this slide, no real reason as to why we can't just . . . .
"Hey Zack, have you been enjoying your tune-up lesson?"
"Yeah, I think so."
"Think you'd enjoy taking out the engine?"
"Uh, I think so."

Randy here, perhaps is remembering a little bit of last year . . . :

I distinctly remember Lee suggesting that I "stuff a sock in it." I would too, if it were my appointment:

This crowd, though, this crowd has a can-do attitude. Here is Lee welding the flex plate back together for Zack:

Here is Zack showing you all a beautifully welded flex plate for his bus:

This detour was so much more than any of us had bargained for. We still had to put a Super Beetle on its chassis!

But everybody got to work, and there is a certain bonding that occurs when you just sally forth into the middle of the thicket:

This is the you-should-learn-to-tune-your-bus-neophyte who has learned to tune his bus, remove the engine, weld the loose flex plate,re-install the engine, check the dwell/timing on NarnajaWesty, and check the dwell/timing on his own now-quiet bus at the end of the day:

. . . and we even got the Super Beetle on the floor pan, too.
I enjoyed all of your company. Unexpected detour, yes, but a good time nonetheless.
Colin
(so, as for that that drozdenko appointment? I did manage to take out a side marker lamp)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

wcfvw69
Old School!

Re: Air-Cooled Greetings From Marlborough Country

Post by wcfvw69 » Sun May 22, 2016 8:57 pm

I saw this picture and the beautiful neighborhood. I wonderful if the neighbors drove by seeing all those "old, hippie VW buses" and said "FUCK", it's time to move honey...!! lol

Some really nice buses up in the NE.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon May 23, 2016 5:19 am

wcfvw69 wrote: I saw this picture and the beautiful neighborhood. I wonderful if the neighbors drove by seeing all those "old, hippie VW buses" and said "FUCK", it's time to move honey...!! lol

Some really nice buses up in the NE.
Not at all . . . there is very little of that anachronistic attitude left in the northeast, because they all rusted away so rapidly that the remaining examples are actually far more appreciated than you get out west . . . where familiarity apparently breeds contempt.
Colin

Ronin10
Getting Hooked!

Post by Ronin10 » Mon May 23, 2016 7:49 am

Amskeptic wrote: the remaining examples are actually far more appreciated than you get out west . . . where familiarity apparently breeds contempt.
Colin

I don't know about contempt, per se - they are still well loved here - but apathy and neglect for sure. That, and being a very tech-centric part of the county, new and shiny thing distract most of the population. But don't you worry, once I'm King of Cascadia, it'll all be fixed. :yawinkle:
Oscar: 1976 Sage Green Bus, Stock Motor, Solid Lifters, Manual Transaxle

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Mon May 23, 2016 11:07 am

Hey, great meeting of the minds. What a learning experience. All you needed was Ray and the Cubano crew there, with Sophie directing.

drozdenko
I'm New!

Post by drozdenko » Mon May 23, 2016 3:56 pm

Yes, fun day it was. One minute we were talking about dwell then the conversation turned to "Let's pull the motor" after hearing the noise from the flex plate. Multiple calls to our local sources didn't turn up any spares so off I went welding. =D>
Sounded much better and Zack drive it home that night. Poor kid, only owned it for a month and he was pulling the motor. He lucked out with all of us there though, otherwise the bus would be sitting in his dirt driveway for years. :pale: before he saved up enough $ to fix it.

Thanks for the wiring diagnostic Colin, something simple but a headache non the less.

We'll try to gather up some more VW's for next years work day. :bounce:

Thanks for stopping.

I have some more pics I can post but forgot the details on the process.
Lee
'79 Westy 2.0L "Hiltrude"; with newly rebuilt engine (16k ago)..so nice to be reliable.
'00 Jetta TDI (new addition to the family)
'01 WE Jetta 1.8T (Sold)
'02 Passat GLS 1.8T (Sold)
'96 Jetta Trek (Sold)
'88 Gti-16V (Sold)

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 24, 2016 6:10 am

drozdenko wrote:Yes, fun day it was. One minute we were talking about dwell then the conversation turned to "Let's pull the motor" after hearing the noise from the flex plate. Multiple calls to our local sources didn't turn up any spares so off I went welding. =D>
Sounded much better and Zack drive it home that night. Poor kid, only owned it for a month and he was pulling the motor. He lucked out with all of us there though, otherwise the bus would be sitting in his dirt driveway for years. :pale: before he saved up enough $ to fix it.

Thanks for the wiring diagnostic Colin, something simple but a headache non the less.

We'll try to gather up some more VW's for next years work day. :bounce:

Thanks for stopping.

I have some more pics I can post but forgot the details on the process.
Lee
I have registered CrRusty and Mysterymachine18, now they need to participate friendly-like real SOON or we'll see what hapPENS to their precious VWs next YEAR.

It is best to host your photographs on a site like Photobucket. Then you merely copy and paste the picture-in-question's address with [ IMG ] tags surrounding it [ /IMG ] . Here, we have a niggardly gallery that demands that you shrink your photographs to a specified size and even I don't even like it.
Colin

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Tue May 24, 2016 11:37 am

HEY! That caused an uproar once!

Good to see full, unbridled usage of our wonderful language! Keep on truckin'.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri May 27, 2016 5:31 am

Jivermo wrote:HEY! That caused an uproar once!

Good to see full, unbridled usage of our wonderful language! Keep on truckin'.
We've trucked up here to the Canadian border and now it is going to be 88* today? Go figya . . .
Colin

Filthy Dub
I'm New!

Post by Filthy Dub » Fri May 27, 2016 8:10 am

Well it's a steady 90 degrees every day here in the sweltering sunshine state ... and yes I am complaining about Florida weather (you try living here). :sunny: :angryfire:
1971 Westy Bay Window Bus