Non-Itinerant Greetings From Virginia

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Non-Itinerant Greetings From Virginia

Post by Amskeptic » Wed May 04, 2016 7:20 pm

If you look at the Itinerary, it had an entry for May 2-3 in West Virginia. After twenty years, I got to see those hill-billy kids I lived with for a year in 1996 all growed up. Cindy and I had moved in with her cousin and her four children to "help out" . . . and we did, but it turned out to be so much more where I was concerned. These kids and their mother were Mentors In My Book Of Life, they absolutely lanced and cauterized my politically-correct "kindness" and gave me a raging thirst for ground level honesty. They redefined my understanding of "help" and "charity" and they turned off my fealty to "politeness" and they exhausted and exhilarated me on an almost daily basis. I fell in love with them, but because Life Is Tough, I left with nothing more than a broken heart in May of 1997 after my usefulness was used up. For twenty years I have held my breath, wondering if they would survive the chaos, these souls I had come to love.

Well, they are still kicking all right. And I still love them, but you have to be careful with hill-billy kids all growed up, they don't have time or inclination for sentimental nonsense. Fine. I had to tone it down from whatever lofty insights I had into their essential selves to more of a tattling on them. I had stories. Stories for their kids, stories for their spouses, and I had photographs they had never seen, photographs of themselves as children. For me, it was yet another amazing display of how we adults are wrought from our childhoods. I loved seeing the kids they were inside of the adults they are.
If given permission, perhaps I can do "before" and "after" photographs.

It was a punishing day for NaranjaWesty, and NaranjaWesty repaid me by punishing me back, just like that damn brown cow Chloe did when I pushed too hard trying to get to Walla-Walla last year to visit spiffy.

From Tennessee to Charleston WV, Naranja behaved just fine:

It was a beautiful day:

Did my first big hill climb on I-77 to the East River Mountain Tunnel that straddles (undergirds?) the Virginia/West Virginia state line:

The sound of a Type 4 engine in a tunnel is a fine automobile engine sound, better than anything else but an air-cooled Porsche 6:

Coming up on the exit, I accidentally hit the warp drive button . . . :

. . . and escaped this dimension through that black hole:

. . . into a wondrous otherworld:

. . . . known as West Virginia:

Now, I had to visit these four kids/adults all in one day, so I had to keep hoofing. On my first extended third gear pull, the engine started to get pissed, little bucks. Pulled off the shoulder and cleaned the fuel filter.
"I see," said the Gas Tank Removal Procrastinator, "this bumpy-ass interstate is dislodging the remaining varnish in the fuel tank."

At the crest of another fine hill pull, I had to remove the screaming fuel pump, wire it up directly to the battery and reverse its polarity whilst simultaneously trying to feed it straw streams of WD-40:

Some more lovely afternoon driving in West Virginia, my old stomping grounds with Cindy and her extended family back when I had a life amongst People:

Crested a hill and rounded a corner and saw this handsome cloud bank:

That is when the engine started bucking and the fuel pump started screaming again. Pulled off into a WalMart shopping center and cleaned the thankfully clogged again fuel filter (thankfully > as in "pump had a good reason to be screaming"). Visited the 12 year-old Hill-Billy Child-come-32 year-old adult outside of Charleston:

Then I had a 245 mile jaunt to visit the 6/8/14 year-old Hill-Billy Children on the eastern side of the state of West Virginia. Here is before my profoundly dumb assumption, just driving and taking in the impressions of this beautiful Adult creature I had just visited:

My dumb assumption is photographed below . . the MapQuest directions looked insanely complex had I cut across the state further down. I decided to go up I-79 a bit further, and take US-50 across the state. I remembered US-50 as a nice four lane highway. Not here!

Such a work-out of shifting and braking and steering, and this is a Westfalia, NOT a svelte little seven-passenger, I could really feel the inertia on this 85 mile torture track:

It was on the uphill past this hairpin that I heard a loud bambambambam under load from the left rear wheel. Pulled over HERE:

Jacked up the wheel, checked all lugs, checked CV joints for movement and too much heat, everything seemed OK, and I was right at the appointed visitatin' time. Called 6-now-26 year-old Hill-Billy Child, but our conversation was cut off by a lousy signal. Drove gingerly in the middle of nowhere, thinking about those new Lobro CV joints I left in Atlanta ("I don't need these, this car has only 47,000 miles!).

The bang-bang-bang started up again, only under load. I was temporarily distracted by the gorgeous countryside, a facet of West Virginia I never knew about here on the Maryland/Virginia side. This is Highway H (US-48) through a beautiful unspoiled east coast panorama of picturesque:

Made it to the little kid now not little and her husband and three children only one hour late. Then we drove up and over Highway H AGAIN to visit the two other kids now-not-kids with their kids, and I am praying for the CV joint, and the fuel pump, and the filter, too, because now it is raining in West Virginia, and West Virginia roads can be death traps in the dark rainy night. Crushed the two of them both with 20 year hugs, told more stories and showed the pictures again and I still love all of these creatures too, under their adult wear and tear and responsibilities, and we are going to do such a cook-out next year when I come through. Said good-bye at 10:30PM, and drove off into the rainy night. BAMBAMBAMBAM said the left rear wheel in rain in Capon Bridge WV at 12:00AM. Pulled into a Romney Realty parking lot and ducked under the cabana. I was so utterly exhausted, been up since 6:30AM outside of Charleston, my heartache is huge for deep reasons, the car has been a pill all day, not its fault weighs on me (I shuddawuddacudda repacked those CVs), and here I am about to grenade an original German CV joint in the rainy night. My decision-making is faulty, I am having a bout of petulance. Flashlight and wet pavement and dripping undercarriage, and I just want to take a nap under there.

In the dripping night under the car, I had a thought. I thought, why not pull the boot away from the driveshaft and squirt oil from the oil can in the outboard joint, then hit the road to spread it around? I did exactly that. The driveshaft quieted right down, too. And I promised poor NaranjaWesty that I would repack the CVs at daylight:

The oil did a fine job:

. . . . but this was the actual offender, the inboard joint had finally lost its lubrication film and was pushing and pulling the driveshaft as the balls started jamming on the tracks. Just by virtue of moving the driveshaft around trying to get the oil can spout in the outboard boot, I had articulated the inner joint balls into some grease at the ends of the tracks and won a brief respite:

Just in the nick of time, too:

It was an interesting picture there on the side of the road.
"What is that dad gum boy doin no how?":

Trying to drive across the country, that's what.
Colin

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

dingo
IAC Addict!

Re: Non-Itinerant Greetings From Virginia

Post by dingo » Wed May 04, 2016 7:52 pm

Nice write-up..always enjoy the travelogue. So how does 'Merica look beyond the sheen of the beltway.? is it crying out like a CV joint in near seizure ? or does it just need a bit of lubrication for the long haul ?
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Thu May 05, 2016 3:47 am

I Feel for you on that windy road. I was on a similar road near boone NC a few years ago. They start out pretty and nice but after an hour or so you are ready to get out.

I glad you got to see those folks. It sounds like it was good for you and them.
60 beetle
78 bus

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Thu May 05, 2016 7:01 am

I love your "on the road" writing as well. Nice pictures that really demonstrate/capture the beauty of the areas you're traveling through.

On The Samba about 10 years ago, I started a thread. It was the "top ten" causes of breakdowns while driving your VW. It was littered with all the classic offenders. Fuel pumps, broken clutch/accelerator cables, V-belts, coils, points, condensors, etc.. Then one poster (TRAM) who was a VW trained mechanic back in the 70's commented. He said simply "lack of preventative maintenance".

His comment really resonated with me as it was so simple and exactly on point. All our old VW's have a history of preventative maintenance neglect. After all, these were disposable, entry level cars that were then hand me downs to kids or other folks who ran them into the ground.

As such, when I buy a new (used) VW, I don't trust them until I've gone through it's entire mechanical systems. When I bought my bus, it left me on the side of the road the first month before I started going through it, 5 miles from my house. Why? The cheap fuel pumps "peened" pivot pin backed out causing the pump to fall apart. Since then, I have gone through the entire bus mechanically and found too many potential break down causes to list. I've also been utterly amazed at how just a little grease and oil can make such a huge difference to door pins, hinges, locks, distributor pivot plates, and other rarely serviced items.

With your meticulous preventative maintenance servicing of all your VW's Colin, it's almost not fair that you got punished and caught by one of the only PM steps that you had not yet completed. You sharing this will hopefully stimulate the other VW owners to insure they are current w/all the preventative maintenance on their classic VW.

Are you going to find a nice, deserted area and remove the fuel tank in the future for a thorough clean out or do you think it's close to being cleaned out? Have you ever tried those Gum out tank cleaning products that "allegedly" work to clean that vanish from the tank? I've never used those products but some folks suggest they do work.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu May 05, 2016 11:00 am

Basic maintenance is a good idea, especially before a road trip. Why, there is a fellow travelling the country fixing VWs perhaps he can help.
Sincerely,
-Smartass :sunny:
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Thu May 05, 2016 12:43 pm

hambone wrote:Basic maintenance is a good idea, especially before a road trip. Why, there is a fellow travelling the country fixing VWs perhaps he can help.
Sincerely,
You know, this made me think. It wouldn't be a terrible idea to plan a road trip that loosely correlated with a certain someone's scheduled route so that you were never very far away from truly-helpful roadside assistance. Points to ponder.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu May 05, 2016 4:47 pm

sped372 wrote:
hambone wrote:Basic maintenance is a good idea, especially before a road trip. Why, there is a fellow travelling the country fixing VWs perhaps he can help.
Sincerely,
You know, this made me think. It wouldn't be a terrible idea to plan a road trip that loosely correlated with a certain someone's scheduled route so that you were never very far away from truly-helpful roadside assistance. Points to ponder.
So long as the great row of dominoes doesn't come crashing down . . . .

"Colin! This is amazing! I can't believe how lucky I am that you are here! Every time I step on the clutch a horrible grinding occurs!"
"Oh, well, good luck with that."
"What? What do you mean? We can drop the engine and change the release bearing, I am so glad you just happened to be driving near by. Man, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it all by myself!"
"You'll do fine."
"What do you mean, I'll 'do fine'?"
"I have to be in Scarborough Maine by 9:00AM tomorrow."
"Can't I geezethe kids, my wife, can't you, I don't really know whawhat do you mean, its grinding, I'm STRANDED."
"Yeah, sucks, doesn't it? You'll do fine. Gotta run, hey, don't forget those HIDDEN 15MM BELL HOUSING BOLTS, BYE!""
Colin :blackeye:

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu May 05, 2016 5:51 pm

Oh you'd love your CUSTOMERS FOLLOWING YOU AROUND FROM STATE TO STATE
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu May 05, 2016 7:08 pm

hambone wrote:Oh you'd love your CUSTOMERS FOLLOWING YOU AROUND FROM STATE TO STATE
Oh I would . . . as much as you hosting a beer bottle shooting contest on Forest Road 2367.
Colin :bom:

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Fri May 06, 2016 12:51 pm

Wonderful banter! A great story of meeting the kids, as adults. Love the entire bit! Thank you.

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Fri May 06, 2016 4:29 pm

hambone wrote:Oh you'd love your CUSTOMERS FOLLOWING YOU AROUND FROM STATE TO STATE
Yeah, we could call ourselves Dead Airheads or something pithy like that. Come up with a GD rip-off bumper sticker an' all.

Another modest proposal: Colin "borrows" a customer's bus (or , ahem, Vanagon) for one year's itinerary lap. Performs his usual marathon series of backwoods miracles and ultimately delivers an impeccably maintained, Amskeptic-approved-to-circle-the-country bus back to the customer at the end of it. Fee to reflect the increased value of the bus as determined by an impartial evaluator.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri May 06, 2016 5:47 pm

SlowLane wrote:
Yeah, we could call ourselves Dead Airheads or something pithy like that. Come up with a GD rip-off bumper sticker an' all.

Another modest proposal: Colin "borrows" a customer's bus (or , ahem, Vanagon) for one year's itinerary lap. Performs his usual marathon series of backwoods miracles and ultimately delivers an impeccably maintained, Amskeptic-approved-to-circle-the-country bus back to the customer at the end of it. Fee to reflect the increased value of the bus as determined by an impartial evaluator.
This idea has been broached a few times. I would like to try to execute it. It would add a new dimension to the project posts.
We would have to work out the details like what would we do if the car got t-boned -totalled in Texas?
Colin

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Sat May 07, 2016 7:03 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
SlowLane wrote:

This idea has been broached a few times. I would like to try to execute it. It would add a new dimension to the project posts.
We would have to work out the details like what would we do if the car got t-boned -totalled in Texas?
Colin
This is a great idea. What could possibly go wrong?
Truth is like poetry.
And most people fucking hate poetry.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun May 08, 2016 6:28 am

hippiewannabe wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
SlowLane wrote:

Colin
This is a great idea. What could possibly go wrong?
Nothing!
Full speed ahead! I don't see any icebergs!
Launch that thing! It's not that cold!
Colin

sgkent
Addicted!

Post by sgkent » Mon May 09, 2016 9:28 pm

darn. I just ordered 4 Rein boots today with the idea of repacking the CV's because they have been on and off the car so many times it would do them good to get clean. The boots on them are some 7 years old now and showing a matte finish so the rubber is starting downhill - even though they only have 5,000 miles on them. So I said to myself at work today - why not have Colin get greasy instead of me when he is here - I can add that to the list... . But after reading the story - and since I have never had a CV seize up in 400,000 miles in a T2, maybe the Lord is telling me it is still my turn to get greasy. :sunny:
TBone208 wrote: "You ppl are such windbags. Go use your crystal ball to get rich & predict something meaningful. Nobody knows what's going to happen. How are we supposed to take ppl who don't know the definition of a recession & "woman" seriously?"

Merlin The Wrench