Itinerant Air-Cooled Main Lap Prep

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

wcfvw69
Old School!

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Main Lap Prep

Post by wcfvw69 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:59 am

Amskeptic wrote: And, in response to wcf69vw's scathing critique of Chloe's engine, I am transmogrifying that crappy blue coil into a jennuoowine black coil.

While we are here, which scale do you prefer? They both started as black plastic.
Colin
I like the silver.

Oh, and I'd change the count to 6 when ordering these to include the warm air hose from the stove pipe to the oil bath. :sunny:

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/Detai ... 111501159B

P.S., Don't hate me! :)
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:31 pm

wcfvw69 wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:W
hich scale do you prefer? They both started as black plastic.
Colin
I like the silver.

Oh, and I'd change the count to 6 when ordering these to include the warm air hose from the stove pipe to the oil bath. :sunny:
That thar scale is actually painted white plastic to match the early Type 4 engines. Still prefer it?

Here is the transmogrified coil ready for installation:
Colin

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:50 am

I think both scales look good but the silver looks more original though I'm not very familiar with type 4 engines. The coil turned out great. I had to paint my coil on the 70' bus as it was a new Bosch one and simply looked WAY out of place.

So, you're keeping the Westphalia and using it on this year's Itinerant trip? I'm glad to hear that. Fill us in on how you're liking the amenities of the camper portion. Do you use the fridge, stove or bed? I bet it's wonderful to drive such an original, low mileage, tight VW bus.

I'm going to have to "bribe" you with an Eva prepared steak dinner like last year. You could stop by on your way through Phoenix for dinner and let me drive that type 4 powered bus. :)

Here's my latest picture of my engine. I sourced the correct bakelite (Bosch) distributor cap in the correct brown. The correct generator pulley was also installed along with the correct green retard vacuum hose. I added the valve adjustment and emission sticker on the shroud. I installed a 205Q, 1971 dual port correct distributor after taking it apart to clean, inspect and relube and oil.

The engine and fuel tank are coming out in the next week or two. I'm repainting the engine compartment. I can't take it anymore! I also bought some sound deaden product to install inside the fuel tank area to quiet the bus's engine noise at freeway speeds.

It simply is amazing how well these VW engines run when you reinstall all the original, rebuilt/refreshed German made parts back on them. That 205Q DVDA distributor with the NOS vacuum can is amazing. Silky smooth, ZERO flat spots or hesitations and fantastic mid-range torque, especially when climbing hills.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:26 pm

wcfvw69 wrote:I think both scales look good but the silver looks more original
I'm going to have to "bribe" you with an Eva prepar . . . .
I'M ON IT. SEE YA.

(p.s. it is WHITE, and the original Type 4 scale was WHITE.

Where did you get the emission sticker?
Colin
here's Chloe's as of noon, now I have to get a darker distributor cap??:

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:14 pm

The Q is the bomb as they say. You guys are both OCD nuts BTW. Stock mechanical I completely agree with however.
Drive it, wear it out get it dusty dirty greasy have fun. Less VWs are enjoyed this way every year, a shame because they are well-suited to the task.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:32 pm

Colin,

Here's the emission decal on an original 68 bus which also shows where the valve adjustment decal is located.

Here's an original, low mileage 1971? Karman Ghia engine. Mmm... look at that purty engine..!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1895373

This is the guy I bought the emission decal from. This particular decal I linked is obviously not correct, I'm only providing you his contact info with that link. I didn't see one listed for the 1970 engine with the 0 degree timing. I bought his 1971 Karman Ghia decal due since it's correct for 71' dual port engines with the DVDA timing of 5* ATDC. I bet he has the 1970 decal or can get it made quickly. He's a nice guy who ships super fast.

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:42 pm

hambone wrote:The Q is the bomb as they say. You guys are both OCD nuts BTW. Stock mechanical I completely agree with however.
Drive it, wear it out get it dusty dirty greasy have fun. Less VWs are enjoyed this way every year, a shame because they are well-suited to the task.

Well, I plead quilty as charged. :) Here's my anally correct 1969 bug engine. The hose clamp on the fuel line inlet has been removed and I'm getting the correct Bosch coil clamp re-zinc plated as we speak. All the other original VW parts have been restored and are year correct.

I have to say, Colin, Robbie and I are probably the worse, OCD, anally correct purists I know when it comes to VW's.. We should get group therapy sessions to save $. lol

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:49 pm

I used to be that way, but with 3 driver VWs it became impractical. Now I have orange stuff everywhere...
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:52 pm

Aye, I would love to be in that group, but given the choice, I'm going to go with the extended road trip over the fastener plating every day of the week. I get great pleasure from making my orange bus as perfect as reasonably possible on my budget and schedule, without making any choices that would make me want to drive it less. I think the day I turn down a trip for the sake of not wearing out the car is the day I cash it in and move to the Duesenberg forums....

I only demand correctness when it enhances function. Which is pretty much always, come to think about it... Even then, I'm getting my money's worth out of this '76 and I STILL make sure the coil be black with blue decal.... Even if the tip is the wrong color.... (It's a beautiful car if you don't look at it. And I consider beauty in function first and foremost.)

Robbie

1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:52 pm

asiab3 wrote:Aye, I would love to be in that group, but given the choice, I'm going to go with the extended road trip over the fastener plating every day of the week. I only demand correctness when it enhances function.
No either/or choice to be made here. Not only do 23 week exe-e-e-e-ended road trips give me occasion to make things correct, they illuminate exactly why I pursue the proper plastic spark plug clips, and make sure not to lose the drain plugs for the battery trays. I see these parts in action.
asiab3 wrote: I get great pleasure from making my orange bus as perfect as reasonably possible on my budget and schedule, without making any choices that would make me want to drive it less.
That may change. 38 years of maintaining a VW or two, you get a creeping fatigue touching up the thirteen million seven hundred sixty two thousand four hundred and eighty ninth rock chip.
asiab3 wrote: this '76 I make sure the coil be black with blue decal....
I posted the recipe for transmogrifying these hideously ugly modern Bosch blue/black coils. I will let you know if the brown paint fakery holds up . . .
Colin

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:03 pm

wcfvw69 wrote:Here's my anally correct 1969 bug engine. The hose clamp on the fuel line inlet has been removed and I'm getting the correct Bosch coil clamp re-zinc plated as we speak.

You like my fake tan plastic end on the Chloe's coil? I can do it on your VWs too . . .

Only later in my life may I be able to afford to send out parts to platers.
In my current iteration, I have to be able to drive by sundown, so the 1600 engine coil clamp was sanded with 220 sandcloth and lightly painted with 500* clearcoat enamel, as was the reverse clip.
Colin :geek:

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:06 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:Here's my anally correct 1969 bug engine. The hose clamp on the fuel line inlet has been removed and I'm getting the correct Bosch coil clamp re-zinc plated as we speak.

You like my fake tan plastic end on the Chloe's coil? I can do it on your VWs too . . .

Only later in my life may I be able to afford to send out parts to platers.
In my current iteration, I have to be able to drive by sundown, so the 1600 engine coil clamp was sanded with 220 sandcloth and lightly painted with 500* clearcoat enamel, as was the reverse clip.
Colin :geek:
Oh trust me.. I'm not that extravagant in spending money on my VW's. The ONLY thing I've had replated on any of my three VW's is the front and rear, original VW bumpers on the 67. Having them rechromed correctly (copper, nickel, chrome) cost $800 bucks around 4 years ago. The bumpers had a lot of dings and dents to remove as well. I looked at Wolfsburg West's re-po bumpers and they would of been around the same cost. So, I said why not fix the originals. I'm glad I did..

I occasionally see NOS coils like you and Robbie have on your type 4 buses. What I never see anymore are the NOS "short" 12 volt coils like were delivered on the 67 and 69 bugs. Everytime I see a low mileage, original VW from the 60's, my eyes immediately look at the coil first. Is it the long ones sold now or the original, shorter ones.

Robbie, I love your 74 bus.. I bet it runs awesome. Get your butt back out here so I can drive it! I'm also jealous that your diving so deep into that type 4 fuel injection system..

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:49 pm

wcfvw69 wrote: Robbie, I love your 74 bus.. I bet it runs awesome. I'm also jealous that your diving so deep into that type 4 fuel injection system..
That'd be a 1976 Bus there, Bill. '74s still had the dual carbs.

By the way, look at the original '68 bus and Chloe, see how the thermostatic preheater cable goes between the horizontal air cleaner-to-carburetor duct and the fan housing? Less stress/friction with a more gradual curve means less likelihood of a thermostat not opening fully . . . .
Colin

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:34 am

Amskeptic wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote: Robbie, I love your 74 bus.. I bet it runs awesome. I'm also jealous that your diving so deep into that type 4 fuel injection system..
That'd be a 1976 Bus there, Bill. '74s still had the dual carbs.

By the way, look at the original '68 bus and Chloe, see how the thermostatic preheater cable goes between the horizontal air cleaner-to-carburetor duct and the fan housing? Less stress/friction with a more gradual curve means less likelihood of a thermostat not opening fully . . . .
Colin
Oops, I meant to type 76, I think.. :)

Good of Robbie to get his hands on a fuel injected type 4 engine. His learning and knowledge of all things air cooled VW's is becoming quite impressive. You may pass the Itinerant air-cooled baton off to him down the road when retirement comes for you...

Thanks for pointing out the cable Colin. You're right on how it should be routed. What I found is the Solex 34-3 carb and the aluminum intake manifold at the head impede that bowden cables ability to lay in there correctly. It's too tight w/lack of clearance behind the carb and manifold. I tried routing it correctly and it simply doesn't fit right. I think this is why they discontinued that bowden cable and went to the wax thermostat on the pre-heat flap in 1971 on bugs, buses and Ghia's. I'm on the lookout for a 71' oil bath and will then remove the bowden cable and associated parts. I read somewhere that classic VW parts in Germany is selling the NLA wax thermostat's for the 71' oil baths. This would make this engine a correct 71' dual port.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:21 pm

wcfvw69 wrote:[
A) You may pass the Itinerant air-cooled baton off to him down the road when retirement comes for you...

B) Solex 34-3 carb and the aluminum intake manifold at the (case) impede that bowden cable's ability to lay in there correctly. It's too tight w/lack of clearance behind the carb and manifold.
I read somewhere that classic VW parts in Germany is selling the NLA wax thermostat's for the 71' oil baths.
This would make this engine a correct 71' dual port.

a) I won't be retiring, but with my fellow motorists out here texting and carrying on behind the wheel, he could find himself promoted any day now.

b) Yep. You ain't supposed to have that cable . . .

Colin