Itinerant Air-Cooled Main Lap Prep

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Itinerant Air-Cooled Main Lap Prep

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:48 am

Hi!

Been scarce around here over the past couple of weeks. I have been finishing the garage restoration /painting project for my brother and sister-in-law, including throwing out a ton of detritus, wall repairs, spackling, sanding, painting , garage door opener repairs, door knob replacements, and it looks very much more handsome now, the photographs below were shot while junk was still strewn about.

Also, I have been tracking down NaranjaWesty's indigestion colic. Replaced the original spark plug wires and discovered a little known fact. There are three different connectors used on each Type 4 engine.
Longest is #2, next is #4, next two are for #1 and #3:

Note that the wire runs to #3 and #1 go underneath the intake runners and are attached to the upper cylinder covers with single white plastic clips. #1 and #2 wires route in front of the breather box with a metal bracket and a double black plastic clip:

When correctly installed, not one wire touches another, and no wire contacts any ground surface on the engine. That is why I was able to have a fuel leak spray all over the damn place without a fire.

Speaking of fuel leaks, I did drop the engine and remove the fuel sender AGAIN. Fabricated a new sender ring out of a sheet of butyl-nitrite:

No more fuel leaks, I now can fill the tank full for the first time since Gainesville and pull up the driveway hill without concern:

The fleet overwhelms me:

The BobD's original thermostat finally gave up the ghost. New one is a bug engine's:

Discovered that for 39 years now, I have been installing thermost cables incorrectly. The correct path is UNDER the 7mm clamp bolt:

Painted the BobD's left battery tray and cleaned all of them, all six amongst three buses, and detailed their engine compartments:

First time I have had Chloe's battery out. The battery mat had been blocking the drain for the past half decade. The tray looks like it may have been fiberglass'd:

Brush-painted BobD's exhaust system:

Beheld the spectre of three buses:

Must do inventory! This Westy is a pain-in-the-a$$ to pack and I am grumpy about cabinets that are all exactly 1/2" too small for any item that I may choose to fit therein. In order of favoritism:

But it is a beautiful day and I am longing to hit the road and re-establish a missing clarity of thought and spirit:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

sgkent
Addicted!

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Main Lap Prep

Post by sgkent » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:29 am

"Also, I have been tracking down NaranjaWesty's indigestion colic"

tried a fuel drier as part of the diagnosis?
TBone208 wrote: "You ppl are such windbags. Go use your crystal ball to get rich & predict something meaningful. Nobody knows what's going to happen. How are we supposed to take ppl who don't know the definition of a recession & "woman" seriously?"

Merlin The Wrench

71whitewesty
Addicted!

Post by 71whitewesty » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:18 am

Heck of a line up you got there and glad to see you lean a bit toward Chloe. Tough choice though!
So you do house work too? :blackeye:
I better get out and start waxing battery trays.....

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:52 am

Colin, the BobD is falling into complete disrepair. I mean, first you sacrifice the hubcaps, and then you just leave the thermostat pulley all unpainted? What comes after the discarded right side heater booster hose?? It seems to me like the new mistress is getting all the attention. :geek:

(I learned the hard way not to run the engine without the pulley bolt if the oil level is close to full. Otherwise you'll have to find a spare M6 machine screw in the parking lot, cover it in hot sauce, thread it in, and warm up the engine to "set" the new xanthan gum engine sealant all to leave the parking lot while your pulley paint is drying. The oil splattered all over the undercarriage will be a nice touch, and the Trader Joes manager will be yelling at you.)

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

sgkent
Addicted!

Post by sgkent » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:26 pm

the pulleys come in plastic/fiberglass, and in stamped steel. He may have a factory unpainted plastic/fiberglass one there.

Interesting story on the sauce. Have to remember that one.
TBone208 wrote: "You ppl are such windbags. Go use your crystal ball to get rich & predict something meaningful. Nobody knows what's going to happen. How are we supposed to take ppl who don't know the definition of a recession & "woman" seriously?"

Merlin The Wrench

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:51 pm

wcfvw69 wrote:
asiab3 wrote:Colin, the BobD is falling into complete disrepair. I mean, first you sacrifice the hubcaps, and then you just leave the thermostat pulley all unpainted? What comes after the discarded right side heater booster hose??

Robbie
Funny, I also noticed the pulley first and then the push rod tubes. I wondered why he couldn't find the time to steel wool the corrosion off the push rod tubes or at least rattle can them w/a high temp silver paint? :scratch:

Joking.. :)

It's your fault Colin.. Your meticulous care that you provide your buses with has conditioned us to expect nothing less than perfection.. :thumbleft:

BTW Robbie, with you having an appointment with Colin this year, you may consider easing off busting his chops.. He may make your visit "extra" special.. lol
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:36 pm

wcfvw69 wrote: BTW Robbie, with you having an appointment with Colin this year, you may consider easing off busting his chops.. He may make your visit "extra" special.. lol
Puh-LEASE! The brain punishment and crucibles are what I pay for! :pirate:
In July of 2014, asiab3 wrote:I took exactly one photograph during our days- a testament to how "on your toes" one can expect to be if they have not scheduled a visit yet. I haven't been mentally challenged like this in years, and it was soothing, exhausting, wonderful, and needed.
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:51 pm

What, no-one has called him out yet for using the lower-temperature type 1 thermostat on a type IV engine?

On a related note, it looks like Clark Callis at Awesome Powdercoat now stocks steel type IV thermostat pulleys with bearings

as well as refurbished type IV flaps: http://www.awesomepowdercoat.com/thermo ... built.html
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:00 pm

71whitewesty wrote:Heck of a line up you got there and glad to see you lean a bit toward Chloe. Tough choice though!
So you do house work too? :blackeye:
I better get out and start waxing battery trays.....
I find Chloe totally fetching. The beige, the browns, are a welcome soothing understated foundation under that airy white headliner. Naranja's orange, I must confess, is pretty orange. And the green. And the orange.
Colin I Wash Dishes And Vacuum . . .
(oh, and I re-rafter, re-deck and shingle houses mauled by trees blown down by Hurricane Floyd)

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:07 pm

wcfvw69 wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
asiab3 wrote:Colin, the BobD is falling into complete disrepair. I mean, first you sacrifice the hubcaps, and then you just leave the thermostat pulley all unpainted? What comes after the discarded right side heater booster hose??
Robbie
Funny, I also noticed the pulley first and then the push rod tubes. I wondered why he couldn't find the time to steel wool the corrosion off the push rod tubes or at least rattle can them w/a high temp silver paint? :scratch:

Joking.. :)

It's your fault Colin.. Your meticulous care that you provide your buses with has conditioned us to expect nothing less than perfection.. :thumbleft:

BTW Robbie, with you having an appointment with Colin this year, you may consider easing off busting his chops.. He may make your visit "extra" special.. lol
That cheap-ass BobD has a junky plastic pulley, Robbie, but you know the 1973 Road Warrior's 1700 had a steel pulley, nicely painted, I might add . . . .

Ain't touching the push rod tubes, Bill, it is an *untouched* factory engine. If it runs, I am running it, push rod tubes be damned. If I have to pull heads or something, then they really should be re-plated with gold cadmium . . .
Colin

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:12 pm

asiab3 wrote:Colin, the BobD is falling into complete disrepair. I mean, first you sacrifice the hubcaps, and then you just leave the thermostat pulley all unpainted? What comes after the discarded right side heater booster hose?? It seems to me like the new mistress is getting all the attention. :geek:
Now Robbie, you need to build your own visual narrative based on the clues provided.

The "discarded heater hose" photograph is also missing a battery.

Once battery was back in, so was the heater hose:

I'll be looking forward to your powers of observation and narrative building when I disable your engine during a request to refill the coffee . . .
Colin :bom:

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:14 pm

Ah, I viewed the photographs out of order…
Amskeptic wrote: That cheap-ass BobD has a junky plastic pulley, Robbie, but you know the 1973 Road Warrior's 1700 had a steel pulley, nicely painted, I might add . . .
That explains why the pulley I robbed off a 1973 factory engine is metal… But is your plastic pulley cast in that color? That's EXACTLY the color mine was before sanding and painting! :study:

Stocking up on coffee now… Silver can or gold can Diet Coke?
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:59 am

asiab3 wrote:Ah, I viewed the photographs out of order…
Amskeptic wrote: That cheap-ass BobD has a junky plastic pulley, Robbie, but you know the 1973 Road Warrior's 1700 had a steel pulley, nicely painted, I might add . . .
That explains why the pulley I robbed off a 1973 factory engine is metal… But is your plastic pulley cast in that color? That's EXACTLY the color mine was before sanding and painting! :study:

Stocking up on coffee now… Silver can or gold can Diet Coke?
Robbie
We're silver right now, but it will switch to gold if I ever get a good night's sleep around here.

The plastic pulley is some sort of fiberglassy resiny formula that likes to take on the oil vapors and dust. Brand new, I do not know what the color would have been.

Meanwhile, I have committed deception in the representation of this factory build engine. This is the restoration of the Inspector Otto "stencil":

This is the restoration of the emission family number:

Both overdone and too "perfect" for the rest of the engine. I am currently painting the coil. I have used a blue magic marker to bring back the blue of the Bosch decal. Then I will brag and preen about this original engine to people who are mystified as to why I pointed it out in the first place.
"See, that is the original 'Inspector Otto' stencil."
"Who is 'Inspec . . ."
". . . and there is the emission family number over here."
"What is the emission family num . . . "
"Untouched original German build, why even the coil decal is blue!"
"Are you OK?"
"I didn't use a blue magic marker on that decal, you know."

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:17 am

Amskeptic wrote:I am currently painting the coil. I have used a blue magic marker to bring back the blue of the Bosch decal. Then I will brag and preen about this original engine to people who are mystified as to why I pointed it out in the first place.
"See, that is the original 'Inspector Otto' stencil."
"Who is 'Inspec . . ."
". . . and there is the emission family number over here."
"What is the emission family num . . . "
"Untouched original German build, why even the coil decal is blue!"
"Are you OK?"
"I didn't use a blue magic marker on that decal, you know."
I'd ask "if you are OK" if you bought the reproduction sticker like the rest of us who draw the line somewhere..

All hail Inspector Otto.
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:32 am

I just put a fresh blue Bosch decal on the BobD yesterday. And, in response to wcf69vw's scathing critique of Chloe's engine, I am transmogrifying that crappy blue coil into a jennuoowine black coil.

*One spritz Chloe Savanna Beige
*One spritz BobD Pastel White
*Three seconds Chrysler Hemi VHT
*One second Bright Yellow
*Spray to taste bright Rustoleum Orange

and you get old Bosch phenolic cap tan Today, I paint the body of the coil satin black and slap on a new decal. Can I use the yellow oval decal on a 1970 "original" coil?:

While we are here, which scale do you prefer? They both started as black plastic.
Colin