Itinerant Air-Cruel Grueling In Atlanta

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Itinerant Air-Cruel Grueling In Atlanta

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:58 am

It was here that we continue our ongoing story of exploiting the labors of young children:

As you may have by now surmised, Itinerant Air-Cooled finds it most agreeable to inculcate the young into the ways of air-cooled Volkswagens. From the Los Alamos pmaggiore twins of yore to that poor child forced to solder her mother's turn signal switch in Minnesota last June, to yet another hapless child in Miami whose little hands were roped into the harsh task of installing windows just last month, this child was immediately commissioned to hard labor right out of the car from a visit to the doctor. Cruel cold commands "remove that drag link boy," thus issued to the suffering child , greenolivemedia and I retired to the rear of the car to soak up a little sunshine and listen to some tunes, oh, and adjust the valves:

"I don't hear enough hard labor up there, kid, what's going on?"
"I'm on it," replied the kid.
With no expectation that the lad would be able to prevail upon a drag link ( with an adjustable wrench?? ), I focused on our valve adjustment progress while listening to the Doobie Brothers, yes.

A sharp triple clankity katank! rang out from the front of the car.
"Did the separator slip off the joint?" I asked crossly of the weepy child (hayfever, folks)
"No, it's off. What do I do now?"

:salute:

Well, we did lengthen the drag link to straighten the steering wheel spokes.
"I'll tighten the lock nut," he said. And he did, and the drag link, too, even as he had a washcloth draped over his inflamed eyes:

Meanwhile, greenolivemedia stretched out in the sunshine and who knows? maybe caught some z-z-z-z's (maybe he saved his engine from two very tight valves):

We cannot let our children know that they impress us. We cannot allow them to know that they frighten us with their competence and perseverance.
"Boy, hook up the CHT gauge. And watch those little nuts and washers and screws."
His raging hayfever was making it well-nigh impossible to open his eyes enough to watch those little nuts and washers and screws as he appeared to fumble with the wires under the dash to the gauge mounting pod and tried to align the eyelets.
"Well?"
"I got it."
He did, too.

Later, during our test drive to test the newly opened up valve clearances and carburetor adjustments and steering wheel re-position, the overtaxed child slipped into unconsciousness in the back seat, exhausted.
"He's got a baseball game tonight," said his father.

We took a look at the stereo face plate removal instructions. We pondered the collapse of civilization that it portends:

Then again, just when you think civilization is heading towards the precipice, you have to consider this:

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

wcfvw69
Old School!

Re: Itinerant Air-Cruel Grueling In Atlanta

Post by wcfvw69 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:36 am

Isn't this why we had kids? Hell, we don't need them to change the channels on the TV anymore!?!

Nice write up Colin.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

VW Treasure
I'm New!

Post by VW Treasure » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:26 am

You wouldn't happen to be talking about me, now do you Colin?!
Attachments
image.jpeg

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:01 am

Man, the curtains came out great! And Sophie can install windows with the best of them!

VW Treasure
I'm New!

Post by VW Treasure » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:48 am

Here's another view of the newly installed curtains on "Dory". Fish print straight from the 70's!
Attachments
image.jpeg

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:21 pm

Looks great..!
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:27 pm

VW Treasure wrote:Here's another view of the newly installed curtains on "Dory". Fish print straight from the 70's!
Your bus looks like it is coming together, a pleasure to see.

I was looking over at the fresh air vent. There appears to be a big black fluted shade over the vent. It looks like the black vinyl that normally goes behind the partition panel opening to cover the distance from the partition hole to the vent proper.
Colin ?

VW Treasure
I'm New!

Post by VW Treasure » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:13 pm

You're obviously and undoubtedly right about those circular vinyl "doughnuts" fitting behind instead of where you see them on the picture, my good friend. I placed them there temporarily for two reasons; first was to remind me to ask and search for "whatever" part actually fills the extra space since the round sheet metal duct actually protrudes about 1/8"-1/4" forward over the new panel behind the seats, and second to remind me that, if I don't find the proper part that can fill the empty space, to fabricate two circular ones (one for each side) out of hard plastic. Is that protrusion of the vent tubes beyond the panels normal? Remember that the Cuban clan disassembled the inside of the bus over two years ago and some details have been forgotten along the way :drunken:
In any case, if you got a chance to read my most recent postings, I am sure you must be saddened to hear that I now have MUCH bigger fishes to fry ahead of me. :pale:

71whitewesty
Addicted!

Post by 71whitewesty » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:04 pm

Excellent post.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:36 am

71whitewesty wrote:Excellent post.
Thank-you. You have been forewarned that your kids, too, may need to "help" us get your fleet shipshape while we sit in the lawn chairs and bark orders whilst sipping our mint julips.
Colin

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:42 am

VW Treasure wrote:Is that protrusion of the vent tubes beyond the panels normal?
There is a hard plastic circle over the vinyl partition panel. There is a soft black vinyl circle underneath that glues to the metal panel around the vent hole:

Big fish fry? Yum
Colin

VW Treasure
I'm New!

Post by VW Treasure » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:07 pm

Thanks for the picture of the fresh air vents Colin. I wonder if the hard plastic circular pieces can be bought somewhere. I have not come across them in any of the regular sites that sell vw bus parts (maybe cause I don't know where to look for or what they're officially called).

To the friend who complimented the curtains on my bus....a BIG "thank you". We all need some positive feedback and re-enforcement every once in a while to get the idea that we've done something semi-O.K. My sister actually made the curtains herself during Colin's like visit to our "compound" over a month ago, and just this past week we finally got them installed. We are all very happy with the end-result. :cheers: