2016 Itinerary Now Done 11/19

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 2016 Itinerary upd 02/09

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:30 pm

BuelaBus wrote: perhaps somewhere between NJ-VT-OH?
likely focus on swapping out the progressive to return to stock dual carbs/adjustments.
BuelaBus
That would be a worthy project. Keep an eye on dates and pounce. Are you closer to Ohio than New Jersey or visce verchois?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

BuelaBus
I'm New!

Re: 2016 Itinerary upd 02/09

Post by BuelaBus » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:49 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
BuelaBus wrote: perhaps somewhere between NJ-VT-OH?
likely focus on swapping out the progressive to return to stock dual carbs/adjustments.
BuelaBus
That would be a worthy project. Keep an eye on dates and pounce. Are you closer to Ohio than New Jersey or visce verchois?
Colin
I'm nearly at the center of PA, so it looks like I'm smack-dab in the middle of the NJ-VT-OH transects. No easy puddle-jump out to me from either Ohio or NJ. But since your NJ-VT route will be straight north, I think I'd be more 'on-the-way' as you're traveling from VT-OH.

Ready to pounce! :thumbleft:

tommu
Old School!

Re: 2016 Itinerary upd 02/14

Post by tommu » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:02 am

Hey Colin. I should have posted way before.. but life.

Fancy dropping in to sunny Burbank again? We'll know closer to the time, but it'll either be a quick tune or a re-balancing of the engine. If you remember this engine is running off balance. I have the original fly wheel and I think it deserves to replace the distinctly unbalanced lightened fly wheel.

We had a little flat spot before which seems to be getting bigger. I tried increasing the accelerator pump squirt a little but that almost seems to be worse. Maybe I should make a new thread for this..

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:42 am

tommu wrote:Hey Colin. I should have posted way before.. but life.

Fancy dropping in to sunny Burbank again? We'll know closer to the time, but it'll either be a quick tune or a re-balancing of the engine. If you remember this engine is running off balance. I have the original fly wheel and I think it deserves to replace the distinctly unbalanced lightened fly wheel.

We had a little flat spot before which seems to be getting bigger. I tried increasing the accelerator pump squirt a little but that almost seems to be worse. Maybe I should make a new thread for this..
Hello tommu! Yes, I remember that horrid imbalance, and demand that you have a flywheel and Sachs pressure plate balanced as a unit in time for us to do another Burbank heel-and-toe double clutch downshift hot lap of Burbank.
Colin

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:27 pm

Would that be a job for a friendly local machine shop? Any idea where to go around here?

drozdenko
I'm New!

Post by drozdenko » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:50 pm

Add the CT trio on the schedule too. :drunken:

I'll have Randy drop off a driveways length of busses to look at and harass him the whole time.
Thanks
Lee
'79 Westy 2.0L "Hiltrude"; with newly rebuilt engine (16k ago)..so nice to be reliable.
'00 Jetta TDI (new addition to the family)
'01 WE Jetta 1.8T (Sold)
'02 Passat GLS 1.8T (Sold)
'96 Jetta Trek (Sold)
'88 Gti-16V (Sold)

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:33 am

tommu wrote:Would that be a job for a friendly local machine shop? Any idea where to go around here?
Hi tommu,

I went through much of what you're about to go through two years ago; perhaps you should start a new thread and we can blather on about where to visit and where to avoid for VW machine work in Southern California. The variations in what pressure plates are made these days can be eye-watering.

Robbie

PS- Colin, I don't know how it skipped my mind, but please pen me in for a checkup and Volkswagenification of my bus. The doors rattle, the slider grinds, and something needs to be done about a rust pock on one rocker. Newhall or Oceanside, take your pick, Saturday, Sunday, or Monday, or two half days on other days would work too.
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:03 am

asiab3 wrote:
tommu wrote:Would that be a job for a friendly local machine shop? Any idea where to go around here?
Hi tommu,

I went through much of what you're about to go through two years ago; perhaps you should start a new thread and we can blather on about where to visit and where to avoid for VW machine work in Southern California. The variations in what pressure plates are made these days can be eye-watering.

Robbie

PS- Colin, I don't know how it skipped my mind, but please pen me in for a checkup and Volkswagenification of my bus. The doors rattle, the slider grinds, and something needs to be done about a rust pock on one rocker. Newhall or Oceanside, take your pick, Saturday, Sunday, or Monday, or two half days on other days would work too.
I would like to do the Newhall location on a Sunday in serial concert with the tommu Burbank and the Pasadena calls. I shall be at the top of my game when we sally forth to make the sliding door a proper testament to German engineering. Rattling doors? Oh my GAWAAD so not like happening.
Colin

Filthy Dub
I'm New!

Re: 2016 Itinerary upd 03/03

Post by Filthy Dub » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:55 am

I'd like to add another stop in your trip to Jacksonville if you've got the time!
1971 Westy Bay Window Bus

mpls_ham
I'm New!

Re: 2016 Itinerary upd 03/15

Post by mpls_ham » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:44 am

Colin,
I thought I might avoid the last minute appointment this year. Looks like you will be rolling through Spearfish again and I'm always ready for some more learnin'. Add me to the list for a day if you can.

Scott Hamilton
605-641-0340

Trexco
I'm New!

Post by Trexco » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:41 pm

Hi Colin,
Have an 82 Westfalia AC that could sure use some advice on. Not sure if you have finished your swing through Florida or not. I am in Tampa.
Rex
1982 Westfalia 2.0L AC running 16in tires with Dakota digital cht. Stock FI

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:24 pm

Trexco wrote:Hi Colin,
Have an 82 Westfalia AC that could sure use some advice on. Not sure if you have finished your swing through Florida or not. I am in Tampa.
Rex

Well if you do come back Colin (to Tampa) I need to learn how to redo brakes since the day after you left we "smoked" the brakes on the CurryWurst! :angryfire: Literally there was smoke coming from the passenger wheel well it got so hot! :pale:
At least we got to use that diesel tintop 7passenger once for team transport to and from the boy's baseball game before I park it again :pale: .
JeffwhydidIletitsitsolong.....
baseball curry.jpg
"I drink, therefore yes ma'am..."

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:37 pm

weisswurst wrote:
Trexco wrote:Hi Colin,
Rex

Well if you do come back Colin (to Tampa) I need to learn how to redo brakes since the day after you left we "smoked" the brakes on the CurryWurst! :angryfire: Literally there was smoke coming from the passenger wheel well it got so hot! :pale:
At least we got to use that diesel tintop 7passenger once for team transport to and from the boy's baseball game before I park it again :pale: .
JeffwhydidIletitsitsolong.....
baseball curry.jpg
Veil be BAK . . . in the fall. Trexco is cool with waiting, are you?
Nice picture of a very fine German audoboos.
Colin

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:15 pm

Colin
I can wait, instead I'll try to have the "Colin Shack" my wife wants built out in the back 40 for you to live in when you are not in the building improving your current VW. :flower:
Hey why not?!? You lived with hillbillies for a few years so we have a shot at moving you in for a while in the winters at least! :pirate:
-Jeff
"I drink, therefore yes ma'am..."

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:33 pm

weisswurst wrote:
Colin
I can wait, instead I'll try to have the "Colin Shack" my wife wants built out in the back 40 for you to live in when you are not in the building improving your current VW. :flower:
Hey why not?!? You lived with hillbillies for a few years so we have a shot at moving you in for a while in the winters at least! :pirate:
-Jeff
Would you like an official visit listed on the Itinerary and a promise to get pummeled from 9:00AM to 6:00PM and an official dossier pestering you on parts required?
Colin