2016 Itinerary Now Done 11/19

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 2016 Itinerary upd 02/02

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:16 am

VW Treasure wrote:Greetings my good friend! Please, consider me and my lovely "Dory" part of your itinerary when you're back down in this neck of the woods! The Cuban Chrome gang will be happy to once again work along side you!
It would be my pleasure. Note that you have been upgraded to "journeyman" from "newbie". That means we shall conduct a PM correspondence, arrive at a triaged list, we shall acquire all parts necessary in time for the visi.... please hold ..... t, and we shall execute all decided-upon operations in a timely fas ..... your call is very important to us .... hion.
Colin

(p.s. at your brother's garage again?)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

VW Treasure
I'm New!

Re: 2016 Itinerary upd 02/04

Post by VW Treasure » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:15 pm

Yessireeebob! Back at Ralph's place...lasagna and all; I'll make sure of it! :cheers:
I'm just giving you some fair warning that I'm volunteering you for all things "Adrian Repairs"!
Got the swivel-foot adjusters, lower tins, brand-new thermostat, fan flaps, heater boxes...boy o' boy!
When will we know brother Colin, approximately what week you'll be around?
P.S. Really excited about the status upgrade...please hold...

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Re: 2016 Itinerary upd **/**

Post by BellePlaine » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:18 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
BellePlaine wrote:
BellePlaine wrote:
whc03grady wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:Preliminary List of Interested Potential Clients
Just go ahead and put me on this list every year until the oil runs out.
Ditto.
<knock, knock>
Hello? I said, "Ditto". And don't forget about Eskimo Tom.
Eskimo Tom needs to PM me here on the forum and give me his list of concerns, as do the lot of you. It helps us be productive and prepared.
Did you get the heater cables sorted out, Belle Plaine?
Colin
Rules, man. I'll pm you my laundry list of VW hopes & dreams.

Re: the heater cables, yes, actually. I spent two more days dissecting the rusted driver's side heater cable tube and finally extracted the old cable and its vinyl. It's ugly but it works and there is heat. Even in the summer, it can get cold and warm air is nice to have.
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:25 am

Happy to see the Cuban connection posse signed on again...a lot of grins and giggles over in that garage!

Happyfolk
Getting Hooked!

Re: 2016 Itinerary upd **/**

Post by Happyfolk » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:10 pm

THall wrote:
Yes please.
I'm in!
79 CA FI Westy
Mexico Beige
"Sandy"

locoqueso
Addicted!

Post by locoqueso » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:02 am

I want to schedule a full day this year to focus on that oil leak. Thanks Colin!
1978 VW Campmobile (P-21) Westfalia - T2 2.0L F.I.- 151,000m
1982 Mercedes-Benz Estate Wagon (300TD-T) - S123 3.0L T.D. - 142,000m
1993 Dodge Maxi Van (190 SLF) InterVec Falcon - B350 Magnum 5.9L F.I. - 70,000m

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 2016 Itinerary upd 02/02

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:50 am

whc03grady wrote:
BradOConner ............................................. Elgin MN
whc03grady ........................................ Anaconda MT
waterdawg2004 ....................................... Gillette WY
Ol Shadow ........................................ Hood River OR
Two friendly comments.
1. Livingston, not Anaconda.
2. Though obviously not yet set in stone, this order be whack.
You jivin' me, turkey . . .
Colin :cherry:

(keep it up, however)

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:36 am

locoqueso wrote:I want to schedule a full day this year to focus on that oil leak. Thanks Colin!
Ohhhhhh myyyyyyyyy.

Let's call this out as my second call-back in the Itinerant Air-Cooled story. First one was misszora on June 27, 2008, where my razor blade cylinder head resurfacing ran out of time (we got to LuckyLab by 7 PM under its own power), but there sure was time to go back and do it over . . .

Here, we have an oil leak that was addressed by a very hygienic front main seal replacement + o-ring.
October 18, 2010, we did a clutch replacement which included the flywheel seal.
April 28, 2011, he PMs me with "oil drips when running!" We yakked about orange vs brown seals.
June 16, 2011, we replace the seal.
But, "I still have the heavy oil leak that developed after we replaced the clutch two years ago."
February 20th, 2012 (4:18am - someone is clearly losing sleep over this)
"I still have the heavy oil leak that developed after we replaced the clutch two years ago."
August 23, 2012, we replace the o-ring and the seal.
2013 seems quiescent . . .
February 25, 2014, it is I who seems to be waking up with oil on my mind,
"You shall be added. How is your front main seal? We ask these things . . . .
Colin"
No mention in the reply file in my Dossier Of All Customers Communications Ever . . .
We had a lovely distracted appointment on August 19, 2014 distracted by bucking:

. . . and he wrote on the forum post,
The hesitation/bucking symptoms now seem to be about the same, maybe slightly better, with my cog adjustments (total of 5 notches leaner than Colin's last adjustment). The engine also stalled twice as I slowed for stop signs. By this time it was getting too warm outside to monkey around so the bus has been parked with no further adjustments.

Thank you for your time and expertise Colin. I appreciate it!
and I choked on my Panera cinnamon roll.

Now he isn't even PM corresponding with me . . . on the initial interest post, he writes,
Postby locoqueso » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:18 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
You and I need to make a crisp list of things to do. Then we do them. Then you pay me.
Then I come back the next day and I/we drivedrivedrivedrive and dare your car not to run splendidly. It is a must a MUST that I KNOW that your car is running SPLENDIDLY. Hundred miles out and a hundred miles back. Dust the dust off the engine, wash the windows and then we drive again. I am becoming a less late kinda old man.
Creakin

That works for me. The bus hasn't left the garage since the last wax and it is a little dusty. I'll take what ever dates fit the schedule.
Oh ouch. But we have a victorious visit on June 9th after scaring the little children in the neighborhood with our slow driving u-turns, we have chased down that ugly little TS-2 intermittent connection, and the bucking is well and truly eradicated.

June 12th, he wrotes, "I should say that I’ve only been able to drive my bus 20 miles in 2 years" as he celebrates a 100 mile test drive. Then he puts down a newly energized, My goal for 2016 IAC Visit: Resolve heavy oil leak (main seal?)

Do you think this is a call-back, on the house?
Colin

EskimoTom
I'm New!

Re: 2016 Itinerary upd 02/06

Post by EskimoTom » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:35 pm

Looking forward to my first Colin visit as is my wife Pamela! You know you have a keeper when she wants to take the day off with you and mess with buses. Back in the day, Pamela even went winter camping with our crew in the BWCA. We will take a much deserved day off when ever you plan to arrive.

Colin, I PM'd my lengthy list of concerns which probably took longer to compose than it will to accomplish. I want your objective critique of the rusty 71 camper I picked up. I will want you to walk me through the brakes on the 71. Then evaluate my re powering options for the 67. I have one engine in the garage I may want to put into the 71 for testing purposes.

I have no idea what will need to be done on the '67 or even if I will have it back from the body shop when you visit. If it is back home there will be lots to do with it. If we run out of VW activities, you can give me some pointers on the'46 jeep which surprisingly shares a lot of common mechanical technology with the bus.

Regards

Eskimo Tom
1971 Camper. Sportmobile. "Rusty"

Boxcar
Addicted!

Re: 2016 Itinerary upd 02/07

Post by Boxcar » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:31 am

Im up for a repeat of last year's R 46 panera® bagel/coffee/parking lot gymkana& IAC laptop picture gallery mesmerization when you amble through NNJ.
Appetite/ in nearby Montclair seems to be requesting a full on Colin day btw I say.
1975 003 Auto Westy L90D

repair!!!!aug2015
Jan/16 Bumped mixture a few notches richer. finally developing HP.

1.8L/LJet/Pertron DVDA+PertronixCompufire 42/36Ham Heads/AA 93mm pistons/barrels.Porsc.Swiv.Adjusters/CromoSteel pushrds/ Web 9550Cam/55cc chmbr.,035 squish,8.6:1CR/German Supply VWCanadaReman Rods/Schadek 26mmPump/vdo dualOP8/10#low sender/Quart Deep Sump
Backdate Htr bxs,reflanged 914 4into1. Two and three eighths inch collector,magniflow*muffler

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 2016 Itinerary upd 02/07

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:12 am

Boxcar wrote:Im up for a repeat of last year's R 46 panera® bagel/coffee/parking lot gymkana& IAC laptop picture gallery mesmerization when you amble through NNJ.
Appetite/ in nearby Montclair seems to be requesting a full on Colin day btw I say.
I have been contemplating this word-salad here for several minutes.
I think it says, "shall we have coffee at Panera Rt 4 @ Rt17 in Noo New Jersey?"
Colin

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:06 pm

Amskeptic wrote: June 12th, he wrotes, "I should say that I’ve only been able to drive my bus 20 miles in 2 years" as he celebrates a 100 mile test drive. Then he puts down a newly energized, My goal for 2016 IAC Visit: Resolve heavy oil leak (main seal?)

Colin
That would be your call, of course. Perhaps he should get an IAC customer loyalty card: buy ten get one for a reasonable discount...

Seriously, though, have you tried to install one of these sooper-dooper GoWesty OEM main seals which they claim are the only seals worth using? Might be worth a shot. All flippancy aside, they argue a good case for why their OEM seal is superior to all others available.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:50 pm

SlowLane wrote:
Amskeptic wrote: June 12th, he wrotes, "I should say that I’ve only been able to drive my bus 20 miles in 2 years" as he celebrates a 100 mile test drive. Then he puts down a newly energized, My goal for 2016 IAC Visit: Resolve heavy oil leak (main seal?)

Colin
That would be your call, of course. Perhaps he should get an IAC customer loyalty card: buy ten get one for a reasonable discount...

Seriously, though, have you tried to install one of these sooper-dooper GoWesty OEM main seals which they claim are the only seals worth using? Might be worth a shot. All flippancy aside, they argue a good case for why their OEM seal is superior to all others available.
I'm On It.
Colin

locoqueso
Addicted!

Post by locoqueso » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:42 pm

SlowLane wrote:

Colin

I think 2016 will be my 10th IAC visit with Colin but no discounts are necessary. I do appreciate the offer! I consider it part of the fun of VW ownership.

Thanks for the lead on GoWesty`s seal. I'll order it from them soon and report back after the installation.
1978 VW Campmobile (P-21) Westfalia - T2 2.0L F.I.- 151,000m
1982 Mercedes-Benz Estate Wagon (300TD-T) - S123 3.0L T.D. - 142,000m
1993 Dodge Maxi Van (190 SLF) InterVec Falcon - B350 Magnum 5.9L F.I. - 70,000m

BuelaBus
I'm New!

Re: 2016 Itinerary upd 02/09

Post by BuelaBus » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:45 am

Hi Colin,

I'm hoping you can fit me in for a full day in Allenwood, PA, preferably in the spring but fall could work too. I'll be sure to provide the Amish sho-fly pies. I was bummed we couldn't meet last fall, but I got stuck fighting wildfires out west for two months and it killed my work schedule.
Needless to say, I'd love to squeeze myself in sometime in your spring loop through the northeast, perhaps somewhere between NJ-VT-OH?

appetite .............................................. Montclair NJ
74Ghia ................................................. Arlington VT
sawspa ................................................. Coolville OH

I can PM you a list of potential tasks, but it will likely focus on swapping out the progressive to return to stock dual carbs/adjustments.

Let me know!
Kind regards,
Scott (BuelaBus)