Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Northern CA

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Northern CA

Post by asiab3 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:25 am

Amskeptic wrote:
asiab3 wrote:Wolfsburg West shows the same picture. Humans answer the phone there, and I bet they can send a picture of the seal itself if you ask nicely.
Do you think they would expend the effort?
Last year they had three T1 camshafts listed online. -1 through +1. When I called and asked if they had any dished cams, they put me on hold and came back five minutes later with "We have -1 through +6 flat, and a "0" dished." That week, the website was updated with all the selections.

In June when I called and asked for an early bay moustache bar rubber mount, the employee went to the shelf and grabbed a part to describe any etchings or markings over the phone. (I can not find any non-Euromax mounts.) When I expressed my concern with the Euromax mount that failed in two years, he told me that while WW does try to stock the best parts, this isn't on par with the rest of their inventory. I did mention that would be happy to pay four times as much for something better... I don't know what they pay their employees, but even if I did buy the mount I don't think they would have made a profit with as much time as I received with their support. Thumbs up in my book.

One thing I noticed with the double-rubber-lip seal is that it wears the paint right off the tins as the dust merrily abrades the every movement of anything that can possibly occur in the engine compartment.
I hope to do the Type 4 foam seal before I visit you.
Interesting. We'll see if my powdercoat submits to the same wear.

Will you be spending some time in PPP in the next week?

RobbieNotKiddingAboutTheTypewriter
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:38 pm

asiab3 wrote: Will you be spending some time in PPP in the next week?
RobbieNotKiddingAboutTheTypewriter

On my way, trying to adjust to the high temps. I am so much fatter now, my own cooling system is not working like it did when I was 145#.
If I die at the piano, it will have been a good life with a perfectly schmaltzy conclusion.
Unfortunately, I knew that surviving that head-on crash with no more than a scratch and an attitude, meant that I probably have to stick around for a while until I discover why why why.

Chloe is feeling better after the generator brush and commutator-clean behind the mall. Buckets of colloidalized graphite and electrical cleaner sent black rivulets down the generator stand to the crankcase fins, it was a conductive mess in that poor generator. But once clean, it has been performing flawlessly once more. At 99* today, the CHTs have been 370* no wind nice easy guilty 57 mph. Engine is majorly noisier as the bearings continue to open up. I'd love to do a bearing replacement, just a bearing replacement and maybe a slightly larger camshaft gear, and drive on, drive on. I could do it in a weekend if I knew which bearings it needed in advance ( I don't ).
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:20 pm

Mike was incredibly documenting with the engine builds he shared online. I can't imagine he didn't write specs down too... Did you not get any of that paperwork when you took Chloe's reins?

If there's anywhere in the world you can get these parts quickly, it's Southern California. You're welcome to garage space in Oceanside or Newhall. :)

Chloe is a "dished" cam with that 36mm monstrosity oil pump right? In my searches that lead to the purchase of five flat-gear camshafts earlier this year, I could not find a new dished camshaft that was not a 0 gear. I do not trust any machinist to touch my rivets either. (I don't trust them to do anything besides take my cash, really...)

Would it be worth it to remove the cylinders and check/replace just the rod bearings? Though I don't know if that would upset the oil pressure if the mains are then relatively more free-flowing in comparison.

Do you feel that the 38a generator creates more heat so VW didn't give it the plastic "brush cover" that the earlier generators got? Cheapening post-Nordhoff? My mom's bug keeps a clean commutator with her cap in place. I suppose staying on pavement helps too....

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:07 am

asiab3 wrote:Mike was incredibly documenting with the engine builds he shared online. I can't imagine he didn't write specs down too... Did you not get any of that paperwork when you took Chloe's reins?
Nope. No written numbers. He was at the mercy of machinists who were somewhat specifications-challenged.
asiab3 wrote: If there's anywhere in the world you can get these parts quickly, it's Southern California. You're welcome to garage space in Oceanside or Newhall. :)
Kind offer. I don't know if my schedule allows a quicky engine freshen, but the idea is appealing, and the story would be fun.
asiab3 wrote: Chloe is a "dished" cam with that 36mm monstrosity oil pump right?
Dished four rivet with a 30mm possibly Shadek pump.
asiab3 wrote:I do not trust any machinist to touch my rivets either. (I don't trust them to do anything besides take my cash, really...)
If a gear comes up that is one number higher than my current one, I would do it, but it would be preferable to have a new camshaft to go along with it. OEM 1600 camshafts . . . gone fer good?
asiab3 wrote: Would it be worth it to remove the cylinders and check/replace just the rod bearings? Though I don't know if that would upset the oil pressure if the mains are then relatively more free-flowing in comparison.
I would do the mains at the same time because I need a reset of all bearing surfaces to "0" hours. It is my mains that do the diesel locomotive thundering now as pressure builds up. And I have reset the endplay a couple of times now, and would like new thrust surfaces.
asiab3 wrote: Do you feel that the 38a generator creates more heat so VW didn't give it the plastic "brush cover" that the earlier generators got? Cheapening post-Nordhoff?
That plastic cap only keeps the rain out with Beetle open-louvred deck lids. It is not a keep-it-clean capThe filth here is internally generated by the brush wear. The air duct from the fan to the generator is able to cool 30/8A generators easily with only one open slot.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles