Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Montana

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

sped372
IAC Addict!

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Montana

Post by sped372 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:25 am

Lanval wrote:As always, the west is the best. Don't let Colin and these other guys pull the (l)east coast wool over your eyes.

L
Midwest, yes. :drunken:

aircooledchris; if it was an early-westy mustard vinyl stool I might take you up on that!
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:34 am

Lanval wrote:Kris,

Get thee to Pacific City, OR for this: http://www.yourlittlebeachtown.com/pelican

There is nothing better than what that guy makes. FWIW, his first professional brewing experience came from a brewery in, I believe, Appleton, WI.

As always, the west is the best. Don't let Colin and these other guys pull the (l)east coast wool over your eyes.

L

A ton of Ale's and some IPA, which yes, the west does very well.

What im missing, after growing up in the midwest, is the unfiltered Wheat, Bock, Hefeweizen, Amber, Alt, Kolsch, Dunkel and interesting takes on Lagers and Pilsners.

I'll spare Colin from any beer gatherings if he's already burnt out on it. :blackeye:
1979 California Transporter

THall
Getting Hooked!

Post by THall » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:40 pm

airkooledchris wrote: I'll spare Colin from any beer gatherings if he's already burnt out on it. :blackeye:
We tipped back a few Amber's that I had on tap from Capital Brewery in Madison when he was here in June...sounds like the sampling has continued across the country, can't stop now. :drunken:
'78 Westy 2.0 FI

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:44 pm

As long as we're talking about beer in the Montana thread, I'll just leave this right here:
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2 ... r-gue.aspx
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:13 pm

And finally, my blog post. Photo credit to CK.
http://www.ludwigandgertie.com/2015/07/ ... und-8.html
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:40 pm

whc03grady wrote:And finally, my blog post. Photo credit to CK.
http://www.ludwigandgertie.com/2015/07/ ... und-8.html
I am "fostering a gut"? Fostering a gut? I am not fostering a gut.
I am adopting it.
I told it to go away, but it just hangs on me, everywhere I go.
Colin :blackeye:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:21 am

HEY MITCH . . . . update? :cyclopsani:

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:26 pm

Amskeptic wrote:HEY MITCH . . . . update? :cyclopsani:
The new one came, it doesn't have the pinch clamp thing that the old one does; it has a big flat hex nut instead. I'm not sure if they're equivalent. Also, how do I determine the length to start it at? I'm afraid the details of June 24th's pre-briefing have markedly faded in my mind.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:44 am

whc03grady wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:HEY MITCH . . . . update? :cyclopsani:
The new one came, it doesn't have the pinch clamp thing that the old one does; it has a big flat hex nut instead. I'm not sure if they're equivalent. Also, how do I determine the length to start it at? I'm afraid the details of June 24th's pre-briefing has markedly faded in my mind.
The "big flat hex nut" is called a jam nut; it's similar to the "locking" nuts found on some dual carb linkages and it uses the same principle as "double nutting" to remove a stud. The nut locks against an object, and the clamping force of the nut makes the object unable to turn down the threads. It's cheaper to manufacture than a clamp, which is why it's on your new part and not the original... :bootyshake:

For starting length, there might be a more "official" method, but I start by removing the old one without allowing the steering, suspension, or tires to move. You should be able to put it back in without touching anything. So you know the car is set up correctly. From here, put the fixed the tie-rod-style end in a soft-jaw bench vise and put the new one identically parallel next to it in the vise as well. Hold them horizontally (parallel to the floor) and adjust the new one to match the old one, all the while "sighting" the adjustable ends to get the new one as close as you can.

Now, the way the bus is shaped, you'll want the ends rotated 90 degrees in comparison to each other. Not 75*, not 100*. 90 degrees. Which means adjustments to the entire thing can only be made in "full turn" increments on the adjustable end. This is bad, because there is no finite adjustment. This is good though, because if you're off you're probably not far from good.

At this point, you can go for installation, and see how well the new one matches up with the bus which you DID NOT MOVE, right? If it isn't lining up, your vise work was sloppy, try again. If it does line up, make it safe, and find a long flat parking lot or runway to test your bus on. I do not know the state of your bus, but I do know the steering box must be centered, and the drag link is adjusted to make the wheels straight, THEN the steering wheel get's indexed. Do not shoot for "straight steering wheel" as your target unless you KNOW and have verified your steering wheel and steering box are BOTH correct.

That's how I did mine, and I did not notice a difference in straight-ability of the wheel or chassis. I also use a smidgeon of anti-seize on the taper of all tie-rods, as I don't want them rusting in place over the next few decades. I always have either the cotter pin correctly installed, or clean threads for the locking nut to work on.

Good luck, I hope the old one didn't re-welded itself on the eleventh day.
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:35 am

asiab3 wrote: The "big flat hex nut" is called a jam nut;
For starting length, there might be a more "official" method, but I start by removing the old one without allowing the steering, suspension, or tires to move. You should be able to put it back in without touching anything. So you know the car is set up correctly. From here . . .
. . . just bring the new one down and install the back end into the relay lever. Now thread out the steering box end until it slips into the pitman arm. New sockets are stiff, so you will need to work the spindle to be properly aligned to see if you have the length correct. Use grease on the spindle and only lightly secure ot. Test drive. Is steering wheel cocked all crazy? If cocked right, shorten one turn. If cocked left, lengthen one turn.
Colin

lilpig88
Getting Hooked!

Post by lilpig88 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:44 pm

I'll be around the area in a week or so (bozeman, but I can mosey over the pass).
Let me know if you want help!

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:48 pm

asiab3 and Amskeptic wrote: The "big flat hex nut" is called a jam nut;
For starting length, there might be a more "official" method, but I start by removing the old one without allowing the steering, suspension, or tires to move. You should be able to put it back in without touching anything. So you know the car is set up correctly. From here . . .

. . . just bring the new one down and install the back end into the relay lever. Now thread out the steering box end until it slips into the pitman arm. New sockets are stiff, so you will need to work the spindle to be properly aligned to see if you have the length correct. Use grease on the spindle and only lightly secure ot. Test drive. Is steering wheel cocked all crazy? If cocked right, shorten one turn. If cocked left, lengthen one turn.
I keep the tires on the ground right? I line up that tab on the steering box, right?
lilpig88 wrote:I'll be around the area in a week or so (bozeman, but I can mosey over the pass).
PM sent. If nothing else we can have a beer?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:44 pm

whc03grady wrote:
asiab3 and Amskeptic wrote: The "big flat hex nut" is called a jam nut;

I keep the tires on the ground right? I line up that tab on the steering box, right?
Sure, just drive the car straight to a stop. You don't even have to line up the little tab IF everything is already centered. You just make a note of where the spokes are, then LEAVE THEM ALONE, this job is about getting the new drag link installed without moving anything while you work. You could install it with the wheels half turned left or right, it doesn't matter. Just try to get the new drag link in without disturbing where the wheels and the steering wheel were when you dropped the old one.
whc03grady wrote:
lilpig88 wrote:I'll be around the area in a week or so (bozeman, but I can mosey over the pass).
PM sent. If nothing else we can have a beer?
Right on, lilpig88! Bringing the precious lilpiglet?
Colin

lilpig88
Getting Hooked!

Post by lilpig88 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:41 am

Yep!
Piglet and all!

The bus seems to be perfectly designed to lull a newborn to sleep with it's engine nearly under the rear seat...she loves it...so far!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:34 am

lilpig88 wrote:Yep!
Piglet and all!

The bus seems to be perfectly designed to lull a newborn to sleep with it's engine nearly under the rear seat...she loves it...so far!
Excellent! Good for you guys. Sounds like you know how to adventure. You are keeping the legend going into the next generation, that girl is going to grow up with VW in her hard wiring.
Colin