Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings North East

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

lilpig88
Getting Hooked!

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings North East

Post by lilpig88 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:12 pm

perhaps distortion upon removal when such pesky adhesives are overly adhesive?
just throwing it out there...
never had issues myself

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:38 am

airkooledchris wrote:
Amskeptic wrote: pesky valve cover leaks from distorted valve covers that only get distorted from people using overly aggressive adhesives to stop leaks

how would an adhesive cause the valve covers to distort? you mean the cork gaskets or the covers themselves?
Imagine that you have some nasty adhesive hanging on. You pry the valve cover away from the head, and the metal actually bends at the other end of the valve cover. Ethan can vouch for it. We had to use a hammer and a socket to restore the proper flatness of the gasket contact surface to the lip. It was bowed. We stopped one gasket leak immediately with just hammering the very most outer lip of the cover to make the flat surface a true flat. Unbelievable.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:43 am

lilpig88 wrote:perhaps distortion upon removal when such pesky adhesives are overly adhesive?
just throwing it out there...
never had issues myself
There is a difference between "adhesive" and "sealant". Sealant is OK. Adhesive makes life miserable.

Permatex Aviation is a sealant.
Permatex Indian Head Shellac is a mild adhesive, recommended for valve cover gasket-to-valve cover.
3M weatherstrip adhesive is an Adhesive!
RTV is a mess of a semi-adhesive sealant until it is saturated, then it looses all adherence.
Colin
( . . . and Chloe is acting all high head temps? what high head temps?)

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:17 am

that's some serious adhesive to be bending the metal when pulling it away from the head.

thanks for the reminder on why I even own Indian Head Shellac. it's been in the garage for a good year now, but I couldn't even remember why I picked it up anymore. :P

I had been using blue hylomar for years now, but it's starting to go bad, where it starts peeling up like a booger if you don't squeeze out a bunch and get some fresh stuff from deeper in the tube.
1979 California Transporter

lilpig88
Getting Hooked!

Post by lilpig88 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:21 am

Amskeptic wrote:
There is a difference between "adhesive" and "sealant". Sealant is OK. Adhesive makes like miserable.
Bingo!

What is the best combination of sealant (easily removable) and adhesive (keep cover gaskets from migrating)?
Indian Head?

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:35 am

Colin showed me Indian Head Shellac, for the gasket to valve cover side, and heavy grease for the gasket to head side. No more leaks, and a breeze to remove. Besides, I like the name. Guess no one is complaining...yet.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:20 pm

Jivermo wrote:Colin showed me Indian Head Shellac, for the gasket to valve cover side, and heavy grease for the gasket to head side. No more leaks, and a breeze to remove. Besides, I like the name. Guess no one is complaining...yet.
Does this allow you to reuse valve cover gaskets?
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:06 pm

asiab3 wrote:
Jivermo wrote:Colin showed me Indian Head Shellac, for the gasket to valve cover side, and heavy grease for the gasket to head side. No more leaks, and a breeze to remove. Besides, I like the name. Guess no one is complaining...yet.
Does this allow you to reuse valve cover gaskets?
As long as they don't shrink and threaten to pull inside the valve cover, you can reuse valve cover gaskets almost indefinitely. Chloe has been through four valve adjustments in the past 9,000 miles (since November canyabelieveit??) with the same valve cover gaskets.
Colin

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:14 am

Well, the Maestro has answered already, but I'll tag on that it is now easy to r & r the covers, and reuse the cork. Prior to his instruction, I would always slather both sides up with good ol' Permatex, that my hands and fingernails would wear for the next month, and which guaranteed that I would not get a second use of cork.

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:55 pm

I must be incredibly lucky. I've never used any sealers, grease or anything else when installing valve cover gaskets. I certainly make sure the bails are tight. I only use good cork gaskets as well. Now, the oil strainer covers, that's an entirely different subject..

Colin,

You travel posts, pictures and story telling keeps me coming back. The best part of this website for me. My only "mild" critique is you don't always answer a question in these posts or follow up on a condition that you're struggling with. Example, you mentioned clutch chatter in your bus but never commented on the dealio with it?

What's up with the head temps BTW?
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:45 pm

wcfvw69 wrote:I must be incredibly lucky. I've never used any sealers, grease or anything else when installing valve cover gaskets. I certainly make sure the bails are tight. I only use good cork gaskets as well. Now, the oil strainer covers, that's an entirely different subject..

Colin,

You travel posts, pictures and story telling keeps me coming back. The best part of this website for me. My only "mild" critique is you don't always answer a question in these posts or follow up on a condition that you're struggling with. Example, you mentioned clutch chatter in your bus but never commented on the dealio with it?

What's up with the head temps BTW?
I don't want to get lost in technical discussions here in the Itinerary Forums. I should/shall update these mechanical conundrums like the chattering clutch that behaves when cold and is a pill when warm. I can't do a thing about it right now so no update possible. I have a marathon of appointments that I must dispatch and a pile of inbox questions that I must somehow answer as well. I am now in deep West Lafayette IN, 169 miles and a full day appointment since my post here this morning. By the day after tomorrow, I will have executed a total of forty hours of appointments, traveled through three states, and battled Chicago traffic to Grayslake IL another 180 miles. I hope to catch up here on June 8.
Colin :compress:

Boxcar
Addicted!

Post by Boxcar » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:17 pm

Curil T is a nice sealant...just sayin.
1975 003 Auto Westy L90D

repair!!!!aug2015
Jan/16 Bumped mixture a few notches richer. finally developing HP.

1.8L/LJet/Pertron DVDA+PertronixCompufire 42/36Ham Heads/AA 93mm pistons/barrels.Porsc.Swiv.Adjusters/CromoSteel pushrds/ Web 9550Cam/55cc chmbr.,035 squish,8.6:1CR/German Supply VWCanadaReman Rods/Schadek 26mmPump/vdo dualOP8/10#low sender/Quart Deep Sump
Backdate Htr bxs,reflanged 914 4into1. Two and three eighths inch collector,magniflow*muffler

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:12 pm

Boxcar wrote:Curil T is a nice sealant...just sayin.
We had another annoying valve cover leak today. The instant that a gasket slips out of position, it expands in the presence of oil and buckles. We Indian Head Shellac'd the heck out of it in the valve cover and it seems to be behaving. Be careful with these new uber-skinny cork gaskets, they are inadequate. We have to adhere them to the valve covers.
Colin