Itinerant Air-Cooled Visit To Questover

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Itinerant Air-Cooled Visit To Questover

Post by Amskeptic » Mon May 18, 2015 6:53 am

I believe we left off somewhere in Tennessee . . . strafing the local citizens of Sevierville with energyturtle.

I had to pull over at the ramp to Interstate 40 because Mr. Hot Shoe here had borrowed the cap off the free-range can of "urethane reducer" to help feed little shots of gasoline into energyturtle's engine earlier, and I forgot to put the cap back on. Our aforementioned "strafing" had dumped a good pint of aromatic reducer all over the rear carpet. Had to unpack the whole rear of the car and pull the carpet to try to evaporate the stuff. I was high by the time it was all repacked. The car smelled like a paint shop, heck I didn't mind.

High-tailed it to Berryville VA to meet with a historian who is researching the history of the house I lived in from three years old to eight years old. I remember the first time going up the driveway. I remember the first smell of snow:

Here is the hillock visible from VA Route 7, stirring up old memories of coming home from school in our 23 window VW bus:

House in 1962

House in 2015:

The security is so over-the-top to my sensibilities. Every door required a door card with red lights blinking to green and a kachonk! of some solenoid. My backyard where the cats lolled in the shade under the porch is now a byzantine maze of black wire fences and elevated walkways:

The dining room in 1962 . . . :

. . . . is now:

I tried to mentally record the amazing complexity of this house. I still can't figure it out. Halls and doors and landings and closets and more alcoves and entryways than I can keep straight.
Bottom of the front stairs, August 1965, (don't know the tyke sitting there) that is me holding my mom's hand in the living room:

After climbing the front stairs .... :

.... you end up in the upstairs hall looking at the landing to the intermediate bathroom landing to the rear hall:

Finally got a good shot of the skylight above the front stairwell:

I was not allowed in the attic, the most amazing play space ever.
Here is the front door 2015:

Here is the only color shot I have of the front hall when I lived there:

If you are reading this, Bonnie, thank-you for showing me around the place, and maybe next time we can have more time to talk about the whole context of the school. I was delighted to meet a 2nd grade classmate of my brother, working here at the school. I called him up right away to share her remembrances of him.
I loved that house and the surrounding countryside far more deeply than I ever let on . . . last shot I got before we moved to Connecticut:

The house is in good hands. The school is devoted to helping kids get anchored:

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Visit To Questover

Post by Jivermo » Mon May 18, 2015 10:50 am

Colin-the rear of the house has been struck deeply by an industrial ugly stick.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 19, 2015 9:27 am

Jivermo wrote:Colin-the rear of the house has been struck deeply by an industrial ugly stick.
It has been. I asked the facilities manager guy about the whys and wherefores, and it came down to cost.

When I get my first 10 million dollars from the Nigerian Prince (I already sent the $20,000.00 release payment, I am so excited), I will have the out buildings razed in a second. I'll use bombs instead of a wrecking ball.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Boxcar
Addicted!

Post by Boxcar » Tue May 26, 2015 2:49 pm

Way to play those Nigerian windfalls.
1975 003 Auto Westy L90D

repair!!!!aug2015
Jan/16 Bumped mixture a few notches richer. finally developing HP.

1.8L/LJet/Pertron DVDA+PertronixCompufire 42/36Ham Heads/AA 93mm pistons/barrels.Porsc.Swiv.Adjusters/CromoSteel pushrds/ Web 9550Cam/55cc chmbr.,035 squish,8.6:1CR/German Supply VWCanadaReman Rods/Schadek 26mmPump/vdo dualOP8/10#low sender/Quart Deep Sump
Backdate Htr bxs,reflanged 914 4into1. Two and three eighths inch collector,magniflow*muffler