The Jivermo Miami Visit now with pics

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: The Jivermo Miami Visit now with pics

Post by asiab3 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:16 am

Jivermo wrote: Image

Are you sure the drivetrain in the cute red coupe can handle all sixty-something net horsepower?

Good luck!
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:57 am

Thanks, Robbie. I had a much longer post written prior to the "having fun" one, but I lost it when I went to another page to look the Zippy image up....grrrrrr. I've been dressing the long block for the past several hours, so it's time for lunch, and a break...and a rewrite. I got my long lock back from Adrian, and I'm pleased to say that he stands behind his work. Throughout this all, he has been courteous with me. This has been a costly experience for him, as well, as the freight alone was over 500.00. He turned it around in about 2-1/2 weeks, and did almost everything I requested. I asked for everything as close to stock as possible, unpainted, with his modified heads, and the stock oil pressure relief valve. You all recall that discussion, right? The one where Colin used copious amounts of inks, illustrating the oil passage systems of our type 4's? Here is Adrian's email to me, that I received the day before my engine rolled in:

"you sould be getting it any time this week
i built it w/ your heads, flywheel
diferent case,std crank,new hyd. cam lifters and gear, all new bearings,gaskets amd seals, new malhe pist. and cylinders etc.
no paint on case but i did install my oil valve(only way to make it reliable) AND I HOT TESTED so no surprices
tks adrian
sorry forhe delays...."

OK, so I have the Adrian Special oil pressure modification in this case, as well. Adrian obviously has tremendous faith in his method or possibly all the cases he has on hand are already modified, or a combination of both.
I'm tired of not having a bus to drive, and I'm going to install this engine and just go for it. Colin has said that we will be monitoring it-oil pressure and such, and I'm good with that. Personally, I like Adrian, and we need some folks like him in this business. He knows how to do the heads properly, and keep the pricing where they are somewhat close to being affordable, unlike some other options out there. I hope Colin stops by his shop out in Vista on this year's tour, and they can exchange views on the oil pressure deal. Meanwhile, Gary at Rimco is building up another type 4 for me, using my original stock case. I'll have a backup if things go south with this new rebuild from Adrian. I will keep all posted when I start this thing up, and break it in.

THall
Getting Hooked!

Post by THall » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:16 pm

Hope you're down the road with a smile on your face soon jivermo! Best of luck to you.
'78 Westy 2.0 FI

71whitewesty
Addicted!

Post by 71whitewesty » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:20 am

Good to hear and do keep us updated. I also ordered and had to send back a 1600 dp from Adrian. It had lifter failure during the break-in. Adrian was great to deal with. I also has him make a few changes the second time around and all is good. I had it back in 2.5 weeks and Adrian handled the shipping etc.
I just put mine in last week and took off on a 800 mile trip. Engine is running great and not one tiny leak of oil yet.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:57 am

Glad to hear things are getting sorted. For a while there, I was standing on the deck in Pensacola asking myself what the future for these cars holds in store. Your persistence and politeness is a credit to the human race.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:48 pm

Slow but sure...almost got it reassembled. Had some good practice when I got ahead and had to backtrack and take apart. Should have it in and the engine break in done this weekend.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:46 am

Jivermo wrote:Slow but sure...almost got it reassembled. Had some good practice when I got ahead and had to backtrack and take apart. Should have it in and the engine break in done this weekend.
I am looking forward to your report. You will be a master mechanic when this all is done. Check those valve covers for black grittiness at the next morning break-in valve adjustment. Oh yes. You shall. White paper towels.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:32 am

Yes, I shall, o exalted one. Non Grittas Typefourus.