Spring Here At The 27th Parallel!

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Spring Here At The 27th Parallel!

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:32 pm

This morning. This morning:

Oh yes, it was 70* and sunny today. It was 70* and sunny today. It was 70* and sunny, but don't worry, I am sure that I froze my creaky joints and bones more than you did last night. Was your bedroom 42* at 6:00AM?

It is quite wet down here at the 27th parallel, the water table is high enough to flood all low-lying areas, that is all water up to the upper edge of the outside mirror:

Today I drove through the source of all of your winter orange juice.
Yeah, down here we have to work in the soft warmth of the delightful sunshine so you all can have refreshment after coming in from cavorting in the slushy snow on your ravaged roads:

Had a Vanagon Diesel Extravaganza at weisswurst's Floridian German hillbilly compound. I was met by guinea hens and chickens and two Volkswagens that blended perfectly with the surroundings, here the single cab-with-tarp Vanagon and visitor James' 1959 beetle:

Here, the double cab Vanagon that againes503 and weisswurst and I drove last year:

We ran around and started all the diesel Vanagons. Hmmmm, which one? The single cab? The double cab? The yellow/brown seven passenger (currywurst)? The other seven passenger in cool blue with white exterior (weisswurst)? They all started fine. Someone needs to tell weisswurst that if the owner's manual gives you up to a minute to warm up the glow plugs, then thirty seconds is OK if it is cold out.

I love those little diesels. They are superbly engineered. We had so much fun doing the currywurst timing belt last year,

h[url]ttp://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic. ... 29#p207481[/url]

that we decided to do a) another timing belt, this year on the single cab:

and b) adjust the timing of the injection pump to see if we could make it peppier. We used fancy dial indicators and stuff:

Which required reading complicated manuals with directions and everything,
too complicated for you . . .
. . . and definitely too complicated for us:

Started right up when we were done. When were we done? At about "darkness."

I am being told to leave. "We closed thirty minutes ago!"
Will get back to this.
Colin
( James, great to meet you and your family. I want to find some time to get the beetle running better!)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

wcfvw69
Old School!

Re: Spring Here At The 27th Parallel!

Post by wcfvw69 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:34 pm

Great pics as always!

I was watching the NBC nightly news with Brian Williams (oops, I mean Lester holt) tonight. It showed all the cold and snow in the northeast USA. Plentiful snow shovels, snow scrapers on dump trucks and heavily bundled folks trudging thru the mess..

I then drove across town in the 78* Phoenix afternoon in suffocating bumper to bumper traffic. There's clearly a reason why our population continues to explode and the N.E. and rust belts continues to contract..
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:47 am

I love eating an apple right off the apple tree. What would it be like to eat an orange right off the orange tree?! I will have to find out someday. Thank you for that photo. You helped me add another item to my "bucket list."

Cindy
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.
Or you don't.” ― Stephen King, The Stand

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:35 pm

Cindy wrote:I love eating an apple right off the apple tree. What would it be like to eat an orange right off the orange tree?! I will have to find out someday. Thank you for that photo. You helped me add another item to my "bucket list."

Cindy
It is really just like eating an apple off the apple tree except that it is an "orange".
No orange ever caused The Fall Of The Human Race.
Colin

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:00 pm

What? Was that last comment too RUDE for everyone? I GOTS MORE.

Suffering right now. I am suffering the most unholy toothache an abscess directly under the second to last molar that has reached Excruciating Pressure on the nerve that shoots darts into my eye sockets and locks my mandibular joint, have not eaten anything in two days save for four microwave-warmed pieces of white bread to drag down the ibuprofen doses. My god, does chronic pain change my outlook and pinch interactions with others.
"Houch the F@*K owoo you?"
"FINE, geeze, take it easy."
"I CATT . . . fay, do you howowouch!aff a gud id your drawer?"
"Yes, in fact I do. Loaded."
"ECKFULLEDT! Plad "B" whed the f@*kig ibuproved ruds out!"
"Not a problem, you just let me know."
"F@*k you."
"Pardon me? Did you say, 'right now?'"
"FAIGGK you, I fed 'FANK you.'"

Jivermo and I have much to share with you, but we have to compile a proper final chapter to our . . . saga in Miami. Stay tuned.