Welcome To The 2015 Itinerary

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Welcome To The 2015 Itinerary

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:10 pm

That's right. I have been underplaying the Significance Of Saving These Cars for thirteen years now. Well, it looks like I am deciding to run out my clock rescuing all of these old air-cooled Volkswagens and their owners and their families before the whole phenomenon gets irrevocably frozen into Over-Restored Facsimilies Only At Boring Car Shows.

Today, we are still alive! We still have daily driving Volkswagens, we still have our health, we still have time (some of us), we still have freedom, we may even have young kids whose memory chips have lots of open slots, and I say let your Volkswagen be the vehicle to get out and experience the greater world NOW.

As you leave your daily routine behind for a brief foray into the fresh air where you will reorient to the simple day under the sun and the moon and meet people through which your Volkswagen will again be the vehicle for connection, rejoice in the stories that they bring to you, give them some of your own.

Gently and surreptitiously allow your last century's Volkswagen to communicate the values they represent yet in this new century, simple good manners, solid quality, unassuming competence, and a modest footprint.

You may find that you are sharing the road with hurried frenzied distracted fellow motorists cocooned in their electronic toy palaces (and you know your place among them too, politely puttering in the right lane), but don't hold it against them or you may miss the connection that occurs when everyone must alight in turn from their chariots at the rest stop or at the gas station and is standing in line waiting for their turn with the overworked cashier.

When you meet up with your fellow air-cooled VW owners, celebrate the quirky culture that they/we somehow managed to pull into the 21st Century (not too terribly self-consciously for the most part), lord knows we could use some of it in today's rote consumer box.

My role is simply to keep our air-cooled wheels turning . . . on their own, on our own. I will do my part, but I need you to participate in the turning on of our fellow air-cooled owners to the turn-on of tinkering on our own Volkswagens, to push the unexpectedly retro-relationship between automobiles and owners towards a new counterpoint to the current isolating tendencies of our social media walls where friendship is launched by "like" buttons and extinguished all too readily by "unfriend" requests.

If you find yourself trapped at the computer or eyes locked onto a stupid little screen reading this, you have the same gorgeous planet awaiting outside just like I do as I type this. I am going out into it in an air-cooled Volkswagen of great immediate liveliness and cantankerous clattering, I hope to find you out there in your Volkswagen, too.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Re: Welcome To The 2015 Itinerary

Post by airkooledchris » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:47 pm

Amskeptic wrote: I am going out into it in an air-cooled Volkswagen of great immediate liveliness and cantankerous clattering, I hope to find you out there in your Volkswagen, too.

Thank you. After having mine on blocks the entirety of last summer, I hope to make up for it this year with miles upon miles of smiles.
1979 California Transporter

llarosa16
I'm New!

Post by llarosa16 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:26 pm

That 2015 Itinerary opening is just so beautifully written and kindred to my own exact sentiments and reasons I love to be one with you all. I see myself in you.

Lisa

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:30 am

llarosa16 wrote:That 2015 Itinerary opening is just so beautifully written and kindred to my own exact sentiments and reasons I love to be one with you all. I see myself in you.

Lisa
You will see yourself in us further yet . . .

( 2008 Paige Conducting Tender Ministrations On MissZora's Engine)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles