2014 Results Just In!

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: 2014 Results Just In!

Post by asiab3 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:00 pm

hippiewannabe wrote:Facebook is really good for promoting a business, with its massive exponential networking capabilities. Everyone here and on the FMBC site can "like" you, and everyone they know will see it. I say get a FB page, the promotion will only add to this site. You can put the explanation of the itinerary there, and drive traffic here. Worst case is it peters out and you just kill it.
Could we just make the existing IAC Facebook page more thorough in terms of the mission and links to this site? I mean, I know we COULD, but should we?
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:56 am

asiab3 wrote:
hippiewannabe wrote:Facebook is really good for promoting a business, with its massive exponential networking capabilities. Everyone here and on the FMBC site can "like" you, and everyone they know will see it. I say get a FB page, the promotion will only add to this site. You can put the explanation of the itinerary there, and drive traffic here. Worst case is it peters out and you just kill it.
Could we just make the existing IAC Facebook page more thorough in terms of the mission and links to this site? I mean, I know we COULD, but should we?
Hmm, I didn't know there was one. Since Colin is not on FB, who owns it? Is he OK with his (unregistered, but ethically his) trademark being out there? Heck, since it's there, it should be reworked as we're describing,
Truth is like poetry.
And most people fucking hate poetry.

energyturtle
Getting Hooked!

Post by energyturtle » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:12 am

Someone made the IAC FB years ago when the server was down for an extended period of time. Who set it up? Sluggo, Colin?

SCOTTIE

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:15 pm

energyturtle wrote:Someone made the IAC FB years ago when the server was down for an extended period of time. Who set it up? Sluggo, Colin?

SCOTTIE
Randy aka sluggo did. I could drum up an aesthetically more pleasing display for whatever Facebook person wants to execute it.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:25 pm

hippiewannabe wrote:Facebook and forums are not mutually exclusive, they each have their place. Facebook is good for keeping in touch, and it seems to work for some people to get occasional random help at the FMBC page. But it can't be logically organized and searched like a forum. Facebook is really good for promoting a business, with its massive exponential networking capabilities. Everyone here and on the FMBC site can "like" you, and everyone they know will see it. I say get a FB page, the promotion will only add to this site. You can put the explanation of the itinerary there, and drive traffic here. Worst case is it peters out and you just kill it.
Exactly!

Can any forum members here be ambassadors to the Facebook groups?
Doesn't the Full Moon Bus Club have a forum? Or am I thinking of LoveMyBus?
Anyways, my engine and transmission are splatted all over the garage.
Colin

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:31 am

https://www.facebook.com/groups/324780910972038/

With Colin's blessing, the last time we went round this discussion, I created the above Facebook IAC *group* page. I feel it could do better to help drive traffic to the site as a group page as users can post in a back and forth forum way. Think of it as the IAC forum with only one topic/section to post to.

I can make anyone that want to be an admin an admin, just let me know. (join the group first if you haven't already.)
1979 California Transporter

energyturtle
Getting Hooked!

Post by energyturtle » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:16 am

I would be happy to be the fb ambassador. Colin pm me with details and what and how we would like to explore.
Scottie

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:35 am

I look forward to seeing the page become more useful; it would be nice to put some mugs to some of your avatars. Let me know if I can help. I run a part of the social media scheme at my work.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:10 pm

airkooledchris wrote:https://www.facebook.com/groups/324780910972038/

With Colin's blessing, the last time we went round this discussion, I created the above Facebook IAC *group* page. I feel it could do better to help drive traffic to the site as a group page as users can post in a back and forth forum way. Think of it as the IAC forum with only one topic/section to post to.

I can make anyone that want to be an admin an admin, just let me know. (join the group first if you haven't already.)
Looks like there's two.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Itineran ... 9046223592

Anyone know the story of the second one?
Truth is like poetry.
And most people fucking hate poetry.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:45 pm

hippiewannabe wrote:
Looks like there's two.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Itineran ... 9046223592

Anyone know the story of the second one?
One is a "page," and one is a "group."

Pages are for fans to gather and get information about a favorite artist/actor/mechanic, usually from the source or the source's appointed agent. Groups are more often used for group discussion and unofficial gossiping; they usually don't carry any sort of authenticity.

Personally I think the "page" is a better concept. The important discussions really should be kept to this site, for search and legacy reasons. Colin, or a few appointed administrators could post updates, make advertisements, create events, (Lucky Lab, anyone?,) and help direct traffic to the IAC site. A "group" is like a hybrid "page" and "forum website" but without the ability to create events or make posts that others will get instantly.
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:10 am

asiab3 wrote:
One is a "page," and one is a "group."

Pages are for fans to gather and get information about a favorite artist/actor/mechanic, usually from the source or the source's appointed agent. Groups are more often used for group discussion and unofficial gossiping; they usually don't carry any sort of authenticity.

Personally I think the "page" is a better concept. The important discussions really should be kept to this site, for search and legacy reasons. Colin, or a few appointed administrators could post updates, make advertisements, create events, (Lucky Lab, anyone?,) and help direct traffic to the IAC site. A "group" is like a hybrid "page" and "forum website" but without the ability to create events or make posts that others will get instantly.
I almost again signed up to Facebook. I keep getting squicked!
This time, Facebook demanded the password to my email account "so your friends can find you . . . . " "what are favorite books?" "what do you like to do?" God, it is so creepy. BUT, I look at the Itinerant Facebook page, and it is a catastrophe of boringness.
ColinStill WobblingOnThe Fence

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:30 am

Sign up for a new free Gmail account, then use that when signing up for Facebook.
You can keep their prying eyes away from your real name/address/info if you want to.

I think I have 4 or 5 different Facebook profiles, mostly for work related stuff, but only one under my real name.
1979 California Transporter

cegammel
Addicted!

Post by cegammel » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:51 am

It seems to me that a friendly, non-technical forum to easily and quickly share photos of our beloved beasts would be an asset. I for one thoroughly enjoy creeping bus pics. Technical conversation should of course be directed here, but a page full of beautiful buses bumbling below broken bridges could be advertising nirvana for one wandering wagen wizard.

Just a thought, and I would be a happy contributor.

energyturtle
Getting Hooked!

Post by energyturtle » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:14 pm

Good Call!