Itinerant Air-Cooled Still In So Cal

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Still In So Cal

Post by asiab3 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:44 pm

Since I've started my own engine thread for the documentation and rebuild, I won't mention more of that here, but I will say I finally unwrapped the saran wrap from my ball joints and wrapped up the last item from my appointment list. Reconditioned torsion arms installed on this bus today. I buttoned it all up, went for a ride, cleaned up the tools, and found the old grease seal on my dirty left lower arm as I was packing up to send for a core charge. :angryfire:

So I got to do 1.5 buses worth of torsion arms today; I feel like I have it down to a science. Colin, thanks for the confidence boost and napkin drawing to guide me through my springy splayed splines. Thankfully both upper welds were still intact. Return to center feels the same or slightly slower. I can't tell if it's honestly tighter or a placebo. MUCH LESS clunking over speed bumps and dirt roads. One more tie rod end to go, and those clunks should be gone. Thanks again.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:45 am

asiab3 wrote:Reconditioned torsion arms installed on this bus today.
Return to center feels the same or slightly slower.
MUCH LESS clunking over speed bumps and dirt roads.
It is an excellent feeling to have that famous Volkswagen solidity that very few of us seem to get to experience these days. When new, you could barrel down a washboard dirt road and the car would be tight and rattle-free (and dust-free too!). You are on your way. How does it feel to have an engine that you now can trust? With the CHTs behaving, you can adjust the engine parameters for economy and longevity.
Congratulations, your bus is lucky to have landed you as an owner.
ColinInReno
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:19 am

Nice to see that you are still with us, Colin. I was beginning to think that you had driven off into a gulch or something...

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:39 pm

Jivermo wrote:Nice to see that you are still with us, Colin. I was beginning to think that you had driven off into a gulch or something...
I am 2,200 miles since July 4th, (southern California to Salt Lake City to northern California) and the BobD has been misbehaving severely.
ColinInRedBluffCA
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:25 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Jivermo wrote:Nice to see that you are still with us, Colin. I was beginning to think that you had driven off into a gulch or something...
I am 2,200 miles since July 4th, (southern California to Salt Lake City to northern California) and the BobD has been misbehaving severely.
ColinInRedBluffCA

Tell him there are new shoes awaiting his weary feet and cool misty air ready to wash over his heads - if he can pull it together and make it to the coast tonight/tomorrow morning. :thumbleft:
1979 California Transporter