Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Los Alamos

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Los Alamos

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:54 am

The Los Alamos contingent I always enjoy. I enjoy heckling them for working at the government nuclear research and development and application labs. More enjoyable still is heckling them for anything and everything they may know about anything and everything. These folks are a smart bunch, perched as they are on the side of an ancient volcano overlooking the valley below.

First stop was The Bowers, people you're not likely to meet here due to their refusual to get all internet-y. They own a Jtauxe-acquired Westy, Yellowbird, which is now in a high state of reliable motoring prowess:

Over the years, we have de-engineered some add-ons, and lubricated everything else. One de-engineered system was a hack by yours-truly. Last year, I had stuck in this, this, this headrest escutcheon? as a front shift rod bushing. Worked well for the entire year, no appreciable wear except for a slight notch from the baling wire:

It is now in my toolbox for the next front shift rod bushing emergency repair:

I spent the day lubricating everything, and again found a clutch clevis pin almost bisected, even though the clutch action was very nice. With an eye on the mountainous terrain, changed the transaxle oil. Not a bad idea, either. The "anti-foaming agents" had clearly given up some time ago:

Jtauxe has been the Los Alamos Johnny Appleseed of Volkswagens, having seemingly supplied everybody with either a car or needed parts. He churns through old Volkswagens almost as readily as Vdubtech in Syracuse. We briefly looked at his newly-acquired white '74 Westy punched in the nose by a tree or a large vehicle because the previous owner figured he could drive drunk, we worked on his magnificent single cab (El Raton), and we worked on Snickerdoodle the '79 7-passenger bus. They drove well and repaired easily. That is not our picnic on the roof:

Pmaggiore has Yellowbird II, another Jtauxe-supplied Westy, the Westy that has had the whole family involved in its upkeep (last year was the whole family windshield replacement):

I hit Yellowbird II with some 3M Rubbing Compound like rtiller's bus in Arkansas, with the same startling results. I say we get the whole family in on this one, too, Peter (do you think clumped kitty litter could serve as a preparatory clay bar treatment? just askin'):

At the end of our day of electrical issues, tune-up, transaxle oil change, Jtauxe stopped by for a photoshoot:

A heartwarming sight, three devotees with their devoteds and the dog! Everyone, including the dog, has their camera face on:

Then, off the hill on my way to Utah, into the worst headwinds ever . . . :

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Los Alamos

Post by Jivermo » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:04 am

The roof of the house? Do the kids play up there?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:21 am

Jivermo wrote:The roof of the house? Do the kids play up there?
I think so. You'll have to ask jtauxe . . . :cyclopsani:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

jtauxe
Addicted!

Post by jtauxe » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:48 am

The day that Colin showed up just happened to coincide with the work of two independent roofing contractors, and a building contractor. I had to pull away from bus work at times to manage their projects, but we were able to focus sufficiently on the buses (Arandano, since it's blue, soon to be renamed el Raton, since it will be its original light gray) and Snickers (shortened from Snickerdoodle, which, while more fun to say, is really a type of cookie and not a candy bar, as my daughter pointed out).

We got the brakes that I had worked on sorted (all they really needed was a proper adjustment), got the carburetors better tuned, identified a leaky brake booster leak, and yes, even sneaked a peek at the '74 wrecked Westy. BTW, Colin, the damage to steering was more than just the connection of the relay lever to the center pin. I have determined that the real problem was that the arm that links the steering box to the relay lever (called the drag link, I think) got shortened on impact. Is is slightly S-shaped, and the two bends in it got more bent, effectively shortening the arm. That's why at this point, the bus can only turn right.

I'm glad that you are enjoying your Los Alamos visits. If we get Tom back on board next year, plus that stunning little copper-colored Beetle convertible, we could have quite a show. Speaking of shows, it just so happens that there was a car show in Los Alamos Saturday morning. I know that y9ou would probably have little interest in showing off the BobD, and that you were occupied with Pete's Y2 appointment, but I also know that BobD Would have been quite a hit!

Safe travels! See you next year!
John
"The bus came by and I got on. That's when it all began..." - Garcia/Weir/Kreutzman
http://vw.tauxe.net