Itinerant Air-Cooled Prep I

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Itinerant Air-Cooled Prep I

Post by Amskeptic » Mon May 19, 2014 9:15 am

Preparing for the main lap here in Pensacola. Received a package of new real plastic window trim from Bug City. I thought this would allow me to have fresh chrome surrounds in the original full-size window rubber in the BobD. Two times 100" for $19.95 ea. ought to do it. Yay. Pulled the windshield in five minutes with just my fingers. Pulled the wipers and inside rear view mirror:

Slathered the inside lip with lanolin hand cleaner:

Poked the rubber to the outside of the pinchweld while pushing the glass outwards modestly:

Pushed the windshield and watched the rubber just glide;

Then, just picked up the windshield out of the channel:

Hit the entire perimeter in between the two pieces of metal spot welded together:

Such an airy view out:

Then, THEN, I discovered that "100"" of chrome surround is actually only 71" and is too short. I called Bug City where the proprietor acted "surprised".
"That's the way we get it from our supplier."
I should have paid just $14.37, then."
"Well, that's the way we get it from our supplier."
"So I have this windshield out, and the two runs are too short, so what do we do now?"
"Well, I am really busy. It might take a couple of weeks"

We are still trying to work out this latest evidence of the Chiseling Of The American Consumer. Meanwhile, the BobD is sporting a ridiculous double-lower-clip with a section of the original chrome to take up the shortfall. I am apprehensive at the further assaults against integrity this car is likely to be subjected to:

On December 10, 2010, I adjusted the free play in the then 64,000 mile BobD from .008" to .0035". This suggested that the original owner, who treated the transmission terribly, must have also been a horrendous clutch pedal rider. Amazingly, the end play today at 93,848 miles, is the same as the day I last adjusted it. Proof that my annoying little driving tips have their benefits . . . :pirate: :

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

luftvagon
Old School!

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Prep I

Post by luftvagon » Mon May 19, 2014 12:59 pm

Colin,

;) Is that where you have been hiding?
1981 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia - air-cooled Type4 1970cc CV (hydraulic lifters, 42x36 valves, stock cam, microSquirt FI with wasted spark ignition)
1993 Ford F-250 XL LWB Extended Cab 7.3L IDI

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon May 19, 2014 5:03 pm

Looks kinda cool that way...hell I'd leave it as a "conversation piece" and "overcoming shortcomings". You could complain about it for hours.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 20, 2014 6:36 am

hambone wrote:Looks kinda cool that way...hell I'd leave it as a "conversation piece" and "overcoming shortcomings". You could complain about it for hours.
Complain only for hours? Days . . . months . . . into perpetuity.
My tombstone has already been engraved,
"They Said It Was 100 But It Was Really Only 71 Inches . . . "
By cracky, why when I was a pup, people CARED.

Yes, luftwagon, I am in Pensacola at the Law Firm that specializes in giving All Who Err the best in Due Process.
Colin

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Tue May 20, 2014 7:06 am

Amskeptic wrote:Yes, luftwagon, I am in Pensacola at the Law Firm that specializes in giving All Who Err the best in Due Process.
Colin

That's it! I'm going to build a "Colin attracting" structure :flower: in the great state of Florida so he can spend his days, weeks, months, complaining here too!
I'm going to make it on my property (look it up! Crystal River/Homosassa area) that just happens to be the exact 1/2 way point from Pensacola to Jivermo's cottage in Miami I heard about, then Colin would have 3 regular stop points in the state all 5 hours apart. Imagine all the "Colin time" we would achieve... :cheers:

Let's see, we are going to need an office style room possibly detached with a pullout couch for a bed.
No wait maybe someone has a spare bus seat so he feels like he's on the road?
would be a great place to put in some "book time" (how's that coming BTW?) :scratch:

Jeffstartingconstructioninjuly or, I have this ready for you now!
Attachments
wurst scotty.JPG
"I drink, therefore yes ma'am..."

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 20, 2014 10:28 am

weisswurst wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:Yes, luftwagon, I am in Pensacola at the Law Firm that specializes in giving All Who Err the best in Due Process.
Colin

That's it! I'm going to build a "Colin attracting" structure :flower: in the great state of Florida so he can spend his days, weeks, months, complaining here too!
I'm going to make it on my property (look it up! Crystal River/Homosassa area) that just happens to be the exact 1/2 way point from Pensacola to Jivermo's cottage in Miami I heard about, then Colin would have 3 regular stop points in the state all 5 hours apart. Imagine all the "Colin time" we would achieve... :cheers:

Let's see, we are going to need an office style room possibly detached with a pullout couch for a bed.
No wait maybe someone has a spare bus seat so he feels like he's on the road?
would be a great place to put in some "book time" (how's that coming BTW?) :scratch:

Jeffstartingconstructioninjuly or, I have this ready for you now!
I am in need of a possible engine rebuild space this winter . . . .
You can sleep on a bus seat?
ColinFloorLevelDigs

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Tue May 20, 2014 12:08 pm

Come on down...the barn is available for your use for a rebuild. That would probably make two going on at the same time, at the rate I'm going.

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Tue May 20, 2014 1:06 pm

Amskeptic wrote: I am in need of a possible engine rebuild space this winter . . . .
You can sleep on a bus seat?
ColinFloorLevelDigs
My Garage Mahal is at your disposal this winter! I will provide a 60's camping experience with the
aforementioned Scotty Serro Sportsman out back by the spring if you don't want to stay in the guestroom.
Come see the "real Florida" in Homosassa Springs....
jeff

pic of the inside of the storage bldg
Attachments
wursts in bldg.JPG

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Tue May 20, 2014 1:07 pm

outside of the building..
Attachments
bldg.JPG

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Tue May 20, 2014 1:26 pm

our little spring in the back, my brother's kid loves fishing in it too!
Attachments
wurst spring.JPG

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Tue May 20, 2014 5:29 pm

Weisswurtz, did you move from Hollywood? Looks like a great place.

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Wed May 21, 2014 4:16 am

Yes, Jivermo, the boys first day of school is in August so we will be there "full time" then.
Our plan is to have him grow up in a more rural setting with chickens, goats and chores! It worked for me when I was that age living next to my uncle's farm. I would also like to host a camping trip if anyone is in that area or passing us in the future!
Jeff

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed May 21, 2014 6:35 am

Jivermo wrote:Come on down...the barn is available for your use for a rebuild. That would probably make two going on at the same time, at the rate I'm going.
Three, if I bring Chloe's engine in the BobD, or the BobD's engine in Chloe. Bus Depot alleges to have German Mahle 2.0 pistons and cylinders for $499.00. Anybody believe them?

The book project needs a pair of handcuffs to bolt me to the desk. The winter interlude in upstate new York AGAIN wrecked my focus, my fingers, and my fine motor coordination.
It is official: you cannot stack cords of ash, shovel bucketloads of snow, eat like a prince, AND draw eyelashes on gnats i.e. tin screws on an 1:100 scale engine.
Because my eyes are failing, time is now of the essence.
Because my brain is failing, I can't remember what I was going to say next.
Colin

luftvagon
Old School!

Post by luftvagon » Wed May 21, 2014 6:53 am

:bounce:
1981 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia - air-cooled Type4 1970cc CV (hydraulic lifters, 42x36 valves, stock cam, microSquirt FI with wasted spark ignition)
1993 Ford F-250 XL LWB Extended Cab 7.3L IDI

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Wed May 21, 2014 7:00 am

If that is forthcoming, then perhaps it is time for the Itinerant to launch a Type IV rebuild video. Current videos, although helpful, seem to have left out some key points. Income from a video would enable a certain talented author/artist to complete the long anticipated aircooled work.