Initial Interest Gauge

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Initial Interest Gauge

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:13 pm

jcbrock wrote:Better schedule your northern plains swing after the first week in May, because that pic at the top could have been May 2 here last year.
I could say, "why do I not have the Deposit/Details up yet? After all, I have increased prices and people don't even know yet:
Half Day 270
Full Day 500

but I have been dealing with a whole new round of shovelling in the morning, afternoon, evening, and next morning. With a maximum GSTE (gross shovel toss elevation) of only 7', I can't even find a place to fling it any more. I am acclimated to the climate though. This was done in a tee shirt:

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:58 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
I could say, "why do I not have the Deposit/Details up yet? After all, I have increased prices and people don't even know yet:
Half Day 270
Full Day 500
It's worth it. I'll take a full day, please.

If you visit me in the Spring, this year's project will be an exhaust swap for an original system (minus the cat, etc). If you visit me in the late Summer, perhaps we'll fight rust in the undercarriage.

Belle Plaine, MN
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

brandt
I'm New!

Post by brandt » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:54 pm

Colin,

I'm getting nowhere on the big VW list of things to do...

Seems unlikely I'll get to torn Ball joint boot and windshield seal on Red Bus maybe fix leaky muffler.

White Bus has not really ran since you were here. I can only theorize that we adjusted the AFM with a vacuum leak and then I fixed the leak.

July is busy for me and the family. Any other month is better. Forget your love affair with busy US 6/Hwy 191. If your route is from Salt Lake as it has been the past few yeas I challenge you to take US 89, to UT 24, to UT 95, and down UT 261 DOWN the Moki Dugway. Far more scenic and a way better adventure.

Brandt

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:53 am

brandt wrote:Colin,

I'm getting nowhere on the big VW list of things to do...

Seems unlikely I'll get to torn Ball joint boot and windshield seal on Red Bus maybe fix leaky muffler.

White Bus has not really ran since you were here. I can only theorize that we adjusted the AFM with a vacuum leak and then I fixed the leak.

July is busy for me and the family. Any other month is better. Forget your love affair with busy US 6/Hwy 191. If your route is from Salt Lake as it has been the past few yeas I challenge you to take US 89, to UT 24, to UT 95, and down UT 261 DOWN the Moki Dugway. Far more scenic and a way better adventure.

Brandt
Hello Brandt. I will avoid July if at all possible. I will not avoid making *you* get the white bus running while I look on. Ball joint boots are good to have. What is unlikely? That you'll get to them before our visit, or that we will have time to do them?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

drober23
Addicted!

Post by drober23 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:51 am

Ooh! Put me down for a day, I'm sure I can make it work with whenever your schedule puts you near Detroit.
[Edit - You had me penciled in even before this post! I feel so special. Thanks!]

Lots to do, and I will be focused on other things (solar panels and dome observatory). We'll have our pick of what's left of these:
Front Wheel Bearings
Addressing rear liftgate action along with rust/rot
Getting the '79 Deluxe running (engine is nominally in)
Troubleshooting camping battery/solar setup on '75
Gasoline Fired Heater diagnosis on '79

...or a million other things on a number of candidates.
DJ

'75 Westfalia, '79 Deluxe
(plus more busses than sense)

In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:57 am

Please give me your desired Volkswagen Improvement Prayers

Body work. I need to have an idea going forward how I am going to repair the rust. We did a great job with the windshield lip, is that the formula going forward? I need to get my front and back bumpers on, will take drilling out busted bolts in front. Also front brakes, again.

and
hoped-for time frame

When you are coming to Atlanta.

and
geographical location.

See above. Will have deposit in 03/07/2014.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

brandt
I'm New!

Post by brandt » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:41 am

What is unlikely? That you'll get to them before our visit, or that we will have time to do them?
Unlikely that I'll get to much, like ball joint boot replacement, prior to your visit. Work, kids, lifestyle maintenance... Having you come forces me to make the time, a good thing.

71whitewesty
Addicted!

Post by 71whitewesty » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:05 pm

I'm in for a visit too!!

drozdenko
I'm New!

Post by drozdenko » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:45 am

I'm in too..I sent you a email on the details but since your starting in NE, any chance to be on the beginnning of the trek?

Thanks.
'79 Westy 2.0L "Hiltrude"; with newly rebuilt engine (16k ago)..so nice to be reliable.
'00 Jetta TDI (new addition to the family)
'01 WE Jetta 1.8T (Sold)
'02 Passat GLS 1.8T (Sold)
'96 Jetta Trek (Sold)
'88 Gti-16V (Sold)

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:40 pm

I thought I had all the gauges I need with a oil temp, oil pressure and CHT gauge. Now I need a Initial Interest gauge which I can't find anywhere online. Crap, anyplace online I can order one? Plus I'll have figure out a spot for it in the dash.. A pic of one might help too.
Geoff
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:18 pm

Part 211-324-666BS - NLA
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:59 pm

hambone wrote:Part 211-324-666BS - NLA
There's a guy on TheSamba selling a dirty broken one, labelled as NOS, for a few hundred$…
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:13 am

asiab3 wrote:
hambone wrote:Part 211-324-666BS - NLA
There's a guy on TheSamba selling a dirty broken one, labelled as NOS, for a few hundred$…
Just my luck!
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:19 am

Bleyseng wrote:I thought I had all the gauges I need with a oil temp, oil pressure and CHT gauge. Now I need a Initial Interest gauge which I can't find anywhere online. Crap, anyplace online I can order one? Plus I'll have figure out a spot for it in the dash.. A pic of one might help too.
Geoff
I wouldn't worry about it... according to Colin that particular gauge is notoriously unreliable.

ML

rallybug
Getting Hooked!

Post by rallybug » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:27 am

Amskeptic wrote:
rallybug wrote:I'll be in for a visit again :cheers:
Hey don't worry about your AAA dues . . . . :bom:
They're already paid for the year :study:

Any time after April is good for us - with enough warning, Gin can take time off to look after the sproglet.

At this point, I'm thinking get fuel gauge working, going through the exhaust system for CO leaks, fitting the air control flaps if they don't find them at the place the engine was rebuilt when I take it in for safety/emissions in a couple weeks, there was something about steering pin that you mentioned last year :scratch: and I have no idea now what other things we talked about, apart from me picking up more general maintenance knowledge etc..
Harvee the Wonder Bus - a 1979 CA-spec 7-seater bus