Runamuck Visit (now with BIG pics)

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Runamuck Bus
Getting Hooked!

Runamuck Visit (now with BIG pics)

Post by Runamuck Bus » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:11 am

Try to be prepared :study: . A plan with some goals in mind is always a good thing. Be open-minded, have coffee ready and available and be ready to change direction and speed as the day progresses.

Garage layout - Image Image

Tent Required - Image Image

Colin Arrived - Image Image

Aftermath - Image Image

The Day After - Image Image

My list included a few things that were required for State Inspection and a few items that I did not expect to even get near. The Brakes are good :thumbleft: . The Clutch Pedal is tighter, valves adjusted (again), headlight relay is toast (but the High Beams can be made to work!), the Dash Lights are missing in action ( :scratch: ), Distributor was removed, points set and Distributor replaced. A timing lesson followed and a few Holly Weber carburator adjustments; the bus ran better than it ever has. The test ride was the 2nd longest ride I have had in the bus, but it unveiled some potential problems that resulted in a carb removal and cleaning. Carb options have been added to the ever growing list of things to do. There's more to be done and most importantly - I'm keeping the bus with new motivation. :cheers:
Thanks Colin.
Endeavor to Persevere.
'72 Weekender

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Runamuck Visit

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:14 am

Runamuck Bus wrote:The test ride was the 2nd longest ride I have had in the bus, but it unveiled some potential problems that resulted in a carb removal and cleaning.
Carb options have been added to the ever growing list of things to do. There's more to be done
and
most importantly -
I'm keeping the bus with new motivation.
Thanks Colin.
Music to my ears . . .

This visit was most auspicious for the simple fact that it was the first time I got to actually drive Runamuck's bus . . . on his only-the-second-time-ever test drive.
I was raring to go, but we had to get a brake pedal. Fortunately, the rear shoe/e-brake adjustment brought it right up. As Runamuck Bus was heard to chant, "up yours . . . unless you're right, and I'm right, so I must be down."
A quicky point replacement and timing lesson and off we went, about the suburban palaces perched on the hill above us.

These VWs quickly talk to me when moving under their own power, and I needed to get a sense of the personality and overall health of this particular car that I had hitherto only ever witnessed sitting and eating people ... ... :

... ... or basking like an inplacable Buddha in the presence of beseeching prayers:

I was very happy to find a lively soul under the recalcitrant Weber Knock-off Holley carburetor. It drove well with the secondary throttle open, so I had to keep the brakes applied for most of the time. The neighbors, well, the neighbors could only conclude that this was the first time either of us had ever driven a manual transmission.

Get thee some decent carburetion post haste! Runamuck. I have your Kustom Screwdriver and will send it to you.
Colin

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Runamuck Bus
Getting Hooked!

Re: Runamuck Visit (now with BIG pics)

Post by Runamuck Bus » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:43 pm

I'll trade you one 17mm box-end wrench for that 'kustom screwdriver' (I looked everywhere for that!, pm sent).
Endeavor to Persevere.
'72 Weekender

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Runamuck Visit (now with BIG pics)

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:30 am

Runamuck Bus wrote:I'll trade you one 17mm box-end wrench for that 'kustom screwdriver' (I looked everywhere for that!, pm sent).
Let me remind you, young Runamuck, that 1972 is my favorite year bus . . . . I shall be looking forward to your continuing progress.
Mr. Pedantic Pedagogue
Principal - Itinerant School of Air-Cooled
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles