Itinerant Air-Cooled Dotty In NJ

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Dotty In NJ

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:44 pm

Well . . . we are done with the headliner dots. Like the freshly painted screen behind the freshly rust-catalyzed grill? :

I feel that I can speak about dots, dotting, dottishness, with authority now.

Headliner Dotting Rules To Live By:

Your first few dots will starkly illuminate the hopeless hugeness of your task. Don't look at the whole thing, just don't.

Expect exceptionally dis-spiriting clumsiness in the very beginning, you will learn and warm up to the task.

Re-commit to a perfect result at each dot delivery, but relax once it is done, you do get another chance, again and again and again until you are done.

You may find that you do better outside of some "logical" "expected" "typical" progression.

Apparently, too much pressure leads to too noticeable results, they stick out of the pattern noticeably.

Not so apparently, too little pressure leads to too small results, that stick out just as much as too much.

Interestingly, a too deliberate and careful effort makes just as shitty a result as too hasty and unfocused (an easy slight rush yields the best results).

You cannot just go sloppy through the hidden areas, like over the visors, it will eat at your conscience.

Feel free to change your progression, your pattern, your sequence, your entire location . . . any time. It always freshens your production.

Each and every dot has its place in the whole, every a damn one.

If you get lost (you will), use the surrounding members to re-orient you, but not any one individual.

While you should expect discomfort, endeavor to find the most comfortable position within the confines of every area you find yourself.

Short breaks are better than long ones.

If you find that your almost-perfect dots are indeed hidden by the visors, you nonetheless know they exist.

The completion of this stunningly mundane huge undertaking rushes to a completion before you know it, like your last days on Earth.

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:40 pm

What causes the disappearing of the original dots? :scratch:
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:02 pm

asiab3 wrote:What causes the disappearing of the original dots? :scratch:
Sunlight fade + intrinsic sensitivity. These early baywindow headliners are not fully perforated but for one panel directly over the driver and one panel over the tailgate. They have paint-stencilled dots. Some panels for reasons I do not understand, are terribly prone to fade. The Road Warrior had sensitive-to-fade panels throughout. Chloe has a good non-fading luggage compartment panel on the left but not on the right. The b and c pillars on the right are mostly fade free, but the left b and c pillars were bleached. Some of this may very well show you the orientation of the car while it was parked for too long under the sun . . .
Colin

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:51 am

Now that is one arcane bit of knowledge, right there:

"The relative disposition of headliner dot fading on various panels of Volkswagen Type II Bay Window Vehicles."
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:37 am

glasseye wrote:Now that is one arcane bit of knowledge, right there:

"The relative disposition of headliner dot fading on various panels of Volkswagen Type II Bay Window Vehicles."
Thank God I don't have a headliner with Dots in my Westy but the Ghia is another problem. How is the "Best Way" to clean it and get it white again???
:scratch:
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

aopisa
Addicted!

Post by aopisa » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:56 pm

Amskeptic wrote: The completion of this stunningly mundane huge undertaking rushes to a completion before you know it, like your last days on Earth.

A Post-Modernist Michelangelo and his Sistine Chapel. [-o<
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.

Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. - Chuang Tzu

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:09 am

Bleyseng wrote:

Thank God I don't have a headliner with Dots in my Westy but the Ghia is another problem. How is the "Best Way" to clean it and get it white again???
:scratch:
I hit it with lanolin hand cleaner (Go-Jo) on the nasty spots, then used McGuire's Leather and Vinyl Cleaner with a toothbrush to get into the grain, followed by a quick wipe with a clean terry cloth towel that gets unclean right quick, so have back-ups.

Now here's the thing, Bleyseng, fresh dots makes it look cleaner still. Michaelangelo was followed by new and upcoming crazy artists. Don't worry about the dot hallucinations behind your eyelids every time you blink or close your eyes when you are done , they die down after a while . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Colin

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:00 am

Amskeptic wrote: Headliner Dotting Rules To Live By:
I like how these are given as though someone else might ever, ever do this. It's kind of like the guy with the tinfoil hat trying to convince you why you need one too.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:21 pm

I think the dots, maybe that really does push you into "insane" land. I really don't know.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:29 pm

whc03grady wrote:
Amskeptic wrote: Headliner Dotting Rules To Live By:
I like how these are given as though someone else might ever, ever do this. It's kind of like the guy with the tinfoil hat trying to convince you why you need one too.
Well, these were Rules To LIVE BY, not rules of "how to dot your headliner".

Try reading with a light spritz of metaphor.
Colin
(I know, and know of, no one else on Earth who would dot their headliner) (there's a ponderable moment)

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:44 pm

"The Relative Disposition of Headliner Dot Fading on Various Panels of Volkswagen Type II Bay Window Vehicles."
We suggest that the reader peruse the prefix before embarking upon this fascinating and dense read.

i) why you should care

ii) why you probably don't care

iii) what it says about you if you don't care

iv) the DSM matrix of your personality pathology if you don't care

v) referrals to therapists trained to work with the apathetic

chart/footnote suffix
1) aesthetic considerations in dot density/pattern
2) perceptual bias of cleanliness in pattern density of vinyl headliners over their expected service life versus wear and tear deterioration
3) LSD or THC highs and perceived headliner dots "talking to subjects"
4) Volkswagenwerk Design Team report, "Accounting Must Not Reduce Stencil Ink Budget"

Literary Awards
none at this time