Utah II - Salt Lake to Green River

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Utah II - Salt Lake to Green River

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:06 am

Besotted by beauty, I have been thanking the Universe in confusion. You would be confused, too. The gulf between this noisy McCivilization and the vast timeless landscape is insurmountable. For example:

Drove out of Salt Lake City to head on down to Bluff. Though nearing 8PM, it was quite warm on Route 6 heading into the hills:

The continuing succession of beautiful views propelled me onwards:

Route 6 is an involved road with curves and climbing lanes. Here on this downhill sweeper, I spied a rich black seam in the rock face:

Apparently, others have noted same. There was a pile of whatever it is, barely caught in the left side of this picture at 55mph:

Just in case it should cross your mind whilst driving Route 6 east. Try looking up.

Look up! There is an enormous beauty that surrounds around us:

I drove through the sunset:

Pulled into a little town at dusk, "I must rotate the tires, NOW." Found a flat concrete pad at a filling station, a LNG (liquefied natural gas) station. Last fill-up on the "pump" read $5.84. Hmmmmm.
Was in full jacked-up no wheels mode when the first LNG customer of the night stopped by.
"I wouldn't want to be doing what you are doing, is it bad?"
"Maintenance!" I replied as chirpily as my tired brain could muster.
"What is maintenance about all of your wheels off?"
"Rotating them!"
I was about to ask him about life with LNG when his wife and daughter showed up from the convenience store, and they all slipped into their New Age Car while I finished installing my wide-five old wheels on my old bug-splatted bus under the mercury lights. I do not remember where I camped that night. It was the next night that lit up my spirit into paroxysms of incoherent appreciation.
There are some forty pictures in that one simple trip up the mountain and back down the mountain.

I have to scram right now though. It is "check-out" time. I will post the Moab and Bluff campsite photographs in another post.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles