Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

To Salt Lake City From Nevada

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:35 am

Utah I
To Salt Lake City From Nevada

It has been so ridiculously beautiful here in Utah. The past four days since the rallybug appointment have been dramatically gorgeous, the interplay between the landscape and the light has made me a photo-junkie tourist snapping pictures indiscriminately, even though I am painfully aware that my camera does not see what I see.
Of the last three hundred photographs, only forty have made it into the IAC folder and of them, only a few will make it onto the site.

There had been a fierce bit of rain early in the morning, and the camera missed this amazing color stripe of humid mist that bisected the approaching mountain outside of Wendover:

Pretty landscapes and little farms, the colors werer so much more than you see here:

Great sweeps of valley that if the engine could see it, it might just shut off in refusal, but back there in its little engine compartment cave, it just motored on, one spark plug spark at a time.

The descent into Wendover fired me up, I love these ancient lake beds.

Driving into Salt Lake City, it was otherworldly, I wanted so badly to share the insane horizon with everyone I know in real time, there wasn't one! There were huge rock outcroppings just floating in air:

I can now imagine the mariners who have dashed against rocks having no idea that there are inversions and tricks that make the sky reflect against the water and you could swear it was still sky. There is now a hypothesis that the Titanic did not see the iceberg because it was being hidden by an refracted horizon:

It looked like we were all driving into some blue mirage soup:

Occasionally, there really was some blue soup surrounding the roadway:

The day was actually dry and hot:

A good thing around salt:

I did not know that the Morton girl came from Mormonland:

Then, rounding the last bend into the valley that was once big old Lake Bonneville, you could see a horizontal line a good thousand feet up, a shoreline from way long ago.

There is another post round these parts discussing the rallybug appointment in Salt lake City, so the next post I put up is going to be another picture-heavy tour after SLC through the last three camp-outs.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Re: To Salt Lake City From Nevada

Post by Lanval » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:52 pm

I was curious, so I looked it up on WikiP.

Morton salt was originally from Chicago, IL, and named for the founder, Joy Morton. Sadly, Morton Salt is now owned by a German fertilizer company, which is itself a subsidiary of DOW chemical.

Your pictures, on the other hand, are essentially an anti-dote to my modern life. Thank you.

ML

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: To Salt Lake City From Nevada

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:20 am

Lanval wrote:I was curious, so I looked it up on WikiP.

Morton salt was originally from Chicago, IL, and named for the founder, Joy Morton. Sadly, Morton Salt is now owned by a German fertilizer company, which is itself a subsidiary of DOW chemical.

Your pictures, on the other hand, are essentially an anti-dote to my modern life. Thank you.

ML
Wow ow German fertilizer? I guess the Chicago folks were happy to find the Great Salt Lake.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles