Missoula MT 6/12/13

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

mtcamper
I'm New!

Missoula MT 6/12/13

Post by mtcamper » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:48 pm

Well we had our first visit from Colin and Chloe for a half day visit . It was a great time I feel like a learned more in that 4-5 hours than I have about the westy in a long time. The main objective today was to chase down some high cht numbers. After valve adjustment and compression test Colin dove into the afm. He found I was running really rich at idle so he leaned that out then we were off for real time road test . Colin drove and stopped made adjustments then I drove while he made adjustment going down the highway! The numbers are still high but better and we feel the engine seems to be happier than the gauge is . I do have to say Colin, me and Savannah took the bus out grocery getting after you left and it is running soooo much better, Savannah even commented that the engine sounded better and felt better ( I already researched normal muffler will be ditching the motorboat exhaust soon). I'm so happy about the visit and will definitely be signing up again next year. I was so into what was going on I only got one pic while he was leaving. Oh yeah CHIPSEALSUCKS!!!!! Sorry about the windshield Colin. Thanks again!!

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Re: Missoula MT 6/12/13

Post by whc03grady » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:31 am

Another Montanan, that's great.
There're plenty of more or less abused air-cooled VWs in Missoula and environs. When I lived there I tried to get people on board with scheduling IAC visits, with no luck. Is the tide turning? Can we turn Western Montana into the new Minneapolis metro (which itself is the new Portland), Itinerant-Air-Cooled-wise?
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:36 am

mtcamper wrote:Well we had our first visit from Colin and Chloe for a half day visit . It was a great time I feel like a learned more in that 4-5 hours than I have about the westy in a long time. The main objective today was to chase down some high cht numbers. After valve adjustment and compression test Colin dove into the afm. He found I was running really rich at idle so he leaned that out then we were off for real time road test . Colin drove and stopped made adjustments then I drove while he made adjustment going down the highway! The numbers are still high but better and we feel the engine seems to be happier than the gauge is . I do have to say Colin, me and Savannah took the bus out grocery getting after you left and it is running soooo much better, Savannah even commented that the engine sounded better and felt better ( I already researched normal muffler will be ditching the motorboat exhaust soon). I'm so happy about the visit and will definitely be signing up again next year. I was so into what was going on I only got one pic while he was leaving. Oh yeah CHIPSEALSUCKS!!!!! Sorry about the windshield Colin. Thanks again!!
It was a pleasure to meet another member of the tribe of air-cooled Volkswagens. I mulled and mulled our morning as I continued to destroy my left rear wheel bearings on the 140 miles of endless curves of US12 through Idaho (didn't make it to Boise. Stnkgt was the first Itinerant Air-Cooled customer in eleven years to get cancelled due to mechanical issues on my end).

I am mulling the architecture of your engine build. I am mulling who did your engine build. I am mulling the similarities to Chloe's cylinder head work. I am mulling the fact that 1800 carbureted heads have 1mm larger exhaust valves than fuel injected 1800 heads. I am mulling that Chloe's heads got fuel injected Beetle exhaust valves instead of the correct larger carbureted exhaust valves. That is why Chloe ran cool except for the CHTs. You and I noted the different valve adjuster screw sizes between cylinder's 3 and 4. We might suppose that there are other anomalies . . . but the good news is that you both love your VW and are conscientious. We will keep an eye on your engine. The tip-off for exploratory surgery will be if you suffer tightening of valve clearances, *like we might have on #2 exhaust*.

We shall prevail, all of us, over the indifference of those who do not love their work or pay attention to the parts they stick in our engines.

The windshield crack has grown. I am still appalled both at the use of sharp loose gravel on a high speed roadway (they have to know of the property damage this causes), and at the motorists who were doing 70 mph on the freshly gravelled interstate, who felt the sadistic pleasure of cutting in front of me so closely that they must have known that they were spraying this classic old Volkswagen with destruction. One of the pick-up trucks that blasted by said "Hippie Hater". All that hate with nowhere to go . . .
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:50 am

There are some incredibly moronic imbeciles running down the road in this country. "Hippie Hater"? What the hell is that about, and what decade is this person existing in? I am dismayed to hear of your windshield crack.

BumbleBus
Addicted!

Post by BumbleBus » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:04 am

whc03grady wrote:When I lived there I tried to get people on board with scheduling IAC visits, with no luck. Is the tide turning? Can we turn Western Montana into the new Minneapolis metro (which itself is the new Portland), Itinerant-Air-Cooled-wise?
Yes! Someday "soon". There are 3 eager IAC virgins in Whitefish, MT (Bumblebus, LittleTrain & Shebus) just trying to get all our ducks in a row for an inaugural visit. Between jobs, moves, marriages, kids etc. etc. it's taking us a little longer than we first thought, but it will happen. I suspect Summer '14 will be the year to make it happen. Might even be able to come away with a few freshly printed IAC books at that point hmm... :drunken:
'72 Sierra Yellow Campmobile

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:06 am

BumbleBus wrote:
whc03grady wrote:When I lived there I tried to get people on board with scheduling IAC visits, with no luck. Is the tide turning? Can we turn Western Montana into the new Minneapolis metro (which itself is the new Portland), Itinerant-Air-Cooled-wise?
Yes! Someday "soon". There are 3 eager IAC virgins in Whitefish, MT (Bumblebus, LittleTrain & Shebus) just trying to get all our ducks in a row for an inaugural visit. Between jobs, moves, marriages, kids etc. etc. it's taking us a little longer than we first thought, but it will happen. I suspect Summer '14 will be the year to make it happen. Might even be able to come away with a few freshly printed IAC books at that point hmm... :drunken:
Someone's writing a book? I can't wait!
Colin :drunken:

mtcamper
I'm New!

Post by mtcamper » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:14 pm

I have been mulling over all the same things the last 24hrs. But I do feel much better about the engine now. I'm just going to drive it and monitor the valves. I just got back from an 80 mile drive and it did great, hot according to the DD but real good. Cold starting is much better. I will be getting a new DD sender and a muffler within this month. Sucks that the wheel bearing decided to go. The hippie hater is a local thing , apparently they are a group for dirtbikers land rights, not sure what that has to do with hippies though. Funny thing is I saw a bay window in town with one of those stickers. Oh yeah it's raining here today Colin; you brought it a day late!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:55 am

mtcamper wrote:I have been mulling over all the same things the last 24hrs. But I do feel much better about the engine now. I'm just going to drive it and monitor the valves. I just got back from an 80 mile drive and it did great, hot according to the DD but real good. Cold starting is much better. I will be getting a new DD sender and a muffler within this month. Sucks that the wheel bearing decided to go. The hippie hater is a local thing , apparently they are a group for dirtbikers land rights, not sure what that has to do with hippies though. Funny thing is I saw a bay window in town with one of those stickers. Oh yeah it's raining here today Colin; you brought it a day late!
I had some evil CHTs yesterday, 420 to 425* into a relentless headwind. That is a bit much for Type 1 Used Heads From Yuma.
Richened the mixture. No real improvement.
AHA! Didn't retard the timing to commemorate the drop in elevation! Backed it down 3* and lost a full 20* of CHTs.

Ryan, let's experiment:
Set your timing to 25* @ 3,400 rpm. The original scales had a rectangular cutout for the high speed timing mark, it corresponds to 25-28*. Please let me know if it helps!
ColinMustBookToMaupin

mtcamper
I'm New!

Post by mtcamper » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:27 pm

Amskeptic wrote:Ryan, let's experiment:
Set your timing to 25* @ 3,400 rpm. The original scales had a rectangular cutout for the high speed timing mark, it corresponds to 25-28*. Please let me know if it helps!
ColinMustBookToMaupin
I will get on the timing on Thursday , and see what happens . I did connect my right side heat flap and got dump tubes installed. No drop I cht but at least I have both sides hooked up for heat now. I think I will start documenting my "quest to be cool" in the cht thread.