Anaconda Montana, June 11th

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Anaconda Montana, June 11th

Post by whc03grady » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:16 am

Colin arrived a half-hour ahead of schedule because of time he allegedly owed me. How quickly he forgets that I'm the current record-holder for longest single appointment ever (9am-7:30am, 2011).

Colin takes Gertie's errant behavior as a personal affront, and demanded track time with her. Of course the issue that has her currently grounded--cyclic dying off--didn't present itself but there were other running issues that've given me ample fodder for further exploration.

My daughter took most of these pictures, by the way.

During our successful effort to address Ludwig's non-working brake lights, we griped about the quality of replacement parts, tail light assemblies in particular. He instilled in me a new sense of duty to inform vendors when they are vending crap.

There was some sorcery at work; the pass. side blinker worked fine with the lights off, but with the lights on the running light and reverse light blinked instead, in sequence.

At Melissa's suggestion, Esme took pictures of Chloe. She was astounded at how utterly filthy with bugs Chloe's nose was.

Another of E's shots.

Storm clouds threatened so we moved it inside.

As hail pelted Chloe, we consulted the wiring diagram to try to untangle 30 years' worth of burned underdash spaghetti mess. Also, I was mystified that Ludwig's wipers had stopped working a while back, seemingly apropos nothing. Turns out the fresh air lever's movement had unplugged the motor. Who knew components had to be plugged in to work?

The Sun came back out, off and on.

But it had cooled off enough that the short-shorts came off.

Now clad with proper pants, Colin soldered in a new chunk of wire at the ignition.

Finally, I went underneath and unplugged the brake light switches to isolate the problem. With the cleaned up wiring, bulb contacts, and all shorts taken care of, everything works again. Even the back up lights, which I'd forgotten existed. The horn didn't get fixed because, as I tried to impress on Colin and Melissa, there is no horn to fix.

In his official capacity as one-way courier for the IAC faithful, Colin dropped off this much-appreciated gift from BellePlaine.

All in all, a very low stress, productive, and grease-free day.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Re: Anaconda Montana, June 11th

Post by Gypsie » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:02 am

C'mon Mitch, couldn't y'all have dropped an unobtanium screw into the heat vent thereby creating the need to disassemble everything from the sliding door forward in an attempt to retrieve it. I bet you could have broke your record if'n you applied yourself. :geek:

But Seriously, I had my fingers crossed that you didn't have any snafu's during your visit.

Nice shots, Esme. You get the "Gypsie Seal of approval" for your photojournalism skills. :thumbleft:
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:22 pm

Gypsie wrote: You get the "Gypsie Seal of approval" for your photojournalism skills. :thumbleft:
Yup. And a high five from glasseye. Great pix.

I love the shot of Colin at the gate. Is that a Diet Coke? Or a Starbucks?
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:48 am

glasseye wrote: Yup. And a high five from glasseye. Great pix.

It is neither Starbucks nor Diet Coke, but the world's most well used McDonald's coffee cup! Many of you have seen this, I am sure, I think Colin told me he had had it since Florida!!! I, for one, will be interested to know when this paper coffee cup finally gives up the ghost! "If it ain't broke...".
1982 Westy- Vana White

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:13 am

the miz wrote:
glasseye wrote: Yup. And a high five from glasseye. Great pix.

It is neither Starbucks nor Diet Coke, but the world's most well used McDonald's coffee cup! Many of you have seen this, I am sure, I think Colin told me he had had it since Florida!!! I, for one, will be interested to know when this paper coffee cup finally gives up the ghost! "If it ain't broke...".
It sprang a leak here in Lewiston, thus erasing any hope of calling drober23 on the road ever again. I had missed him in Rapid City South Dakota only by minutes on my Minnesota > Montana traverse . We were going to hook up and I thought to kill my waiting time by investigating the left rear wheel's scraping sound. He apparently drove right past my roadside surgery because I did not call to tell him what exit I was at. Thank my cell phone charger for that. It refuses Chloe's efforts at "12 volts" and I had to wait until the job was done and I was at a proper electrical outlet.

Enjoyed our day, Mitch. Your dry sense of humor is a pleasure. We must come up with a Serious Plan to eradicate Gertie's misbehavior.
ColinInLewiston
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:22 am

Something I noticed just this morning: the common always-glowing-a-little-bit alternator light problem, the one Muir advises to repair by taping over the light, is nearly non-existent now, only finally rearing its head when the high beams, wipers, blinkers, and stereo are all on at once.
So that's pretty cool.
I'm seeing very slight seepage on the bottom of the p.s. carb float bowl. The current plastic drain plug washer will be replaced with a Copper washer Friday.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:01 am

whc03grady wrote:Something I noticed just this morning: the common always-glowing-a-little-bit alternator light problem, the one Muir advises to repair by taping over the light, is nearly non-existent now, only finally rearing its head when the high beams, wipers, blinkers, and stereo are all on at once.
So that's pretty cool.
I'm seeing very slight seepage on the bottom of the p.s. carb float bowl. The current plastic drain plug washer will be replaced with a Copper washer Friday.
Well? It is MONDAY.
Colin

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:47 am

Amskeptic wrote:
whc03grady wrote:Something I noticed just this morning: the common always-glowing-a-little-bit alternator light problem, the one Muir advises to repair by taping over the light, is nearly non-existent now, only finally rearing its head when the high beams, wipers, blinkers, and stereo are all on at once.
So that's pretty cool.
Well? It is MONDAY.
Colin
The Copper washer in the rebuild kit(s) doesn't fit the drain/main jet plug, so I put on another nylon (or whatever) one. Still slight seepage. You said, Colin, that this is perhaps a cross the stock Solexes bear?

I put the wire covers on the front (that is, inside) of the taillight housings and immediately got that interference again, with a right turn signal alternating the reverse light and parking light on that side. I took it off right away and the blinker went back to normal, but the brake lights alas are back to blowing fuses. I mean, the fuse blows when the key is turned on. I'm thinking about just getting two new Hella Mexico housings.
Should I put this in the electrical forum?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:54 am

whc03grady wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
So that's pretty cool.
Well? It is MONDAY.
Colin
The Copper washer in the rebuild kit(s) doesn't fit the drain/main jet plug, so I put on another nylon (or whatever) one. Still slight seepage. You said, Colin, that this is perhaps a cross the stock Solexes bear?

I put the wire covers on the front (that is, inside) of the taillight housings and immediately got that interference again, with a right turn signal alternating the reverse light and parking light on that side. I took it off right away and the blinker went back to normal, but the brake lights alas are back to blowing fuses. I mean, the fuse blows when the key is turned on. I'm thinking about just getting two new Hella Mexico housings.
Should I put this in the electrical forum?
Even Chloe has a bit of gas dribble down the carb onto the intake manifold. It is the nature of moving a flammable solvent through moving parts. Check carb top screws, accelerator pump cover screws for easy snug no monkey tight.

Go fix the brake light. There are two close terminals at that bulb + the ground nearby.
Find, Assess, Repair, Report.
Colin :salute: