St. Anthony, MN visit

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

MuedeStefan
I'm New!

St. Anthony, MN visit

Post by MuedeStefan » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:47 am

Happy to report I've experienced my first official IAC visit !
We started the unseasonalby awful 52F drizzly, misty day wth a call from Colin stuck in traffic and ALREADY bemoaning the sad state of MN weather!
He arrived soon enough and we sketched out a plan to relieve my long suffering bus from 15+ years of cranked up rear spring plates/torsion bars ( I think we found something like 30 deg IIRC ).
After a round of tread wear detective work, we dove in (will keep you posted Colin).
This all went swimmingly with varied conversations of eloquent and thoughtful input from both parties.
Colin (I think) enjoyed the time-saving use of my impact gun and air tools (we are gentlemen of leisure, nicht wahr? )...
I do know he relished the heat from my work lamp!
My bus is now happily squat in its nether regions and handles like a dream! Brakes work better without air in the system as a bonus!
We also reset my drivers door hinges to fix a misalignment with help from the Miz, who stopped by, thanks Mike!
The work day wrapped up with a test drive and a bit of steering box adjustment to cap it all off.
But wait - the evening was yet to come!
Chris, (Belle Plain) had arranged with a local Northeast Mpls institution (Gasthof Zur Gemuetlichkleit) an authentic German eatery/bar to host our IAC contingent and a couple other locals for an authentic dinner with many tasty German beers.
Needless to say, a great time was had by all - Thanks Colin!!
Alles gutes,
MuedeStefan
** pics to come as I can get them off my camera, home PC is ill at the moment...**
Morgen Morgen, nicht immer Heute

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Re: St. Anthony, MN visit

Post by BellePlaine » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:32 pm

I've got a few pix to share...

The VW Social at the Gasthoff was fantastic. We had a full table, including the kiddos, and I hope that Colin was able to connect with some other local drivers and grow his presence in Minnesota.

1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

MuedeStefan
I'm New!

Post by MuedeStefan » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:02 pm

Thanks for the pics and arranging the event Chris!
(your Pilsner on tap in the bus hit the spot )
Stefan

MuedeStefan
I'm New!

Post by MuedeStefan » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:17 pm

In the beginning:

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:54 am

nice lineup - looks like a fun time
60 beetle
78 bus

MuedeStefan
I'm New!

Post by MuedeStefan » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:02 pm

Colin arrives in suburban nirvana, lovin the weather.
Our workspace-the lamp provided needed warmth, Colin feared the damp chill may seize his joints
The real nitty gritty as it were. Cheap angle finders are not fun- boing boing boing boing boing
Who needs sandpaper - we are men of leisure and convenience ;)
Sweet.
Colin and a visit from the Miz prior to driving down to Nordeast Mpls to meet the gang
Lookout Gasthof - here come the VW volk- Good times!
Hutch keep us company almost all day but the cold chased him inside eventually - good pugger;)

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:48 am

MuedeStefan wrote:Colin arrives in suburban nirvana, lovin the weather.
Hutch keep us company almost all day but the cold chased him inside eventually - good pugger;)
I enjoyed our visit, and it was an exquisite joy to have that work lamp hearth to warm up next to.
Your little Hutch pug looked like a color-matched travelling Chloe accessory:

I haughtily declared my Consultant status and kept the the Customer busy at work:

The impact wrench was soooo helpful that my shoulder joint still thanks you. I am very happy that you were so responsive to the factory recommended suspension settings, and I am glad your bus rewarded you with better handling. I like that bus! Your engine triggered a whole new round of vibration eradication efforts in me. Two 1970 buses at correct ride height, may there be more . . .
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

MuedeStefan
I'm New!

Post by MuedeStefan » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:38 am

Colin,
As an interesting aside, I find your visit has re-inspired me to "sweat the details" with this bus I've had for 15 years now.
Since your visit I have:
Pulled the front bumper out from the nose to protect against unwanted taps
Cleaned inside and out.
The faded repop marker lights I hadnt noticed before you pointed them out now glare at me....
(One has been replaced with an original found in my box o' goodies, on the hunt for the second)
Repacked front bearings, lubed adjusters, adjusted brakes
(oddly, the big bearing on the DS spindle did not want to go back on - hung up on the middle of the spindle, tapped it home)

All fun stuff, this bus deserves the attention, and good for me too
Thanks!
Stefan