2012 Results Just In!

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 2012 Results Just In!

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:08 pm

thenexttownshend wrote:my 73 is getting a good dose of snow at the moment, but still the only vehicle ive owned my entire adult life. proudly
I remember the last winter that my '73 and I had to do, 1979 Boston MA, I commuted every day from Jamaica Plain to Copley Square, then I worked a second job at Guardian Brake over in Allston. Moved to Stoneham and commuted every morning down what was it, I-93 over the biggest ugliest green bridge ever? Snow snow snow. Cold cold cold. Big slush beards under my rear wheels. A constantly wet front floor from my own muddy boots. Lousy heat with rusted-out heater boxes. Beyoootiful perfectly clean white interior. Every weekend, I drove to Portland Connecticut to be with my woman who had a real job as a social worker. Listened to Pink Floyd on my pretty decent stereo rig.

Who would have thought at the time, that I would own that very bus as a 50 year-old?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:09 pm

BellePlaine wrote:Would you consider a second-consecutive-day discount? What about a group class on common problems like a slider-door refresh? How about a list of the ten or twenty most common jobs tackled by the Itinerant Air-cooled Mechanic to help new local potential customers visualize what you can do for them? Let’s improve your efficiency by getting more appointments per 363 miles.

I’m not rich but I’d pay a modest increase broken up over three or four easy payments. :sunny:
I would be on board with this idea too, potentially. I would also agree to a "cost of living adjustment". Basically, I will do whatever it takes to get you back to Minnesota for multiple days. FYI: the oil leak continues to be reduced in steps, but is not yet gone. Plugging the breather with the screw helped...it helped me to move on to scrutinize where else the leak is coming from :profileleft: ...but then winter came and Vana was garaged! At least we are at mL oil lost per trip and not L oil lost per trip, as we had been prior to your arrival! Thanks again for a great visit! -miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

thenexttownshend
I'm New!

Post by thenexttownshend » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:39 pm

what about a thirdday-let-the-kid-drive-stick-for-the-first-time?
-steve - 73 bus

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:05 pm

thenexttownshend wrote:what about a third day-let-the-kid-drive-stick-for-the-first-time?
We already do that . . . ask Pete Maggiore's two sons.
Colin :compress:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:37 am

Amskeptic wrote:Big slush beards under my rear wheels.
For the record, those are called "car boogers" around here.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

jtauxe
Addicted!

Post by jtauxe » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:22 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
thenexttownshend wrote:what about a third day-let-the-kid-drive-stick-for-the-first-time?
We already do that . . . ask Pete Maggiore's two sons.
Colin :compress:
And with two new 16-yr olds in our house, we are ready to learn stick, too. They are shy of the RHD (on Bluebird), but I have my eye on a proper LHD single cab. That could be used to teach 'em stick.

My eldest, now 19, never did learn stick, but since he'll be home this summer as well, he will have the opportunity.

2013: The summer of stickshifting!

As for cost, you know we Los Alamos types are swimming in cash, so the sky's the limit! Oh, except they are also all total cheapskates, so take that into consideration. I expect Tom will need help with Buster Brown, and Pete always enjoys your help on Y3. And of course, Jan and Richard relish your attention paid to good old YellowBird. I still pine for that Westy...

As for a possible visit chez Tauxe, it depends on if another bus finds me, or if you visit after the return of Bluebird, which should happen in mid-June. Even after significant metal work, and a completely rebuilt engine (by Painter's Grinding in Denver) there will no doubt be work to be done. Always is...

[edit] I just realized that this is under the 2012 Itinerary heading. :P I'll repost under the 2013 Itinerary.
John
"The bus came by and I got on. That's when it all began..." - Garcia/Weir/Kreutzman
http://vw.tauxe.net

grifftenstein
I'm New!

Post by grifftenstein » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:20 pm

I would pay extra to have the visit earlier in the year if that would change your route going forward. Being in MN it would be nice to get the work done in the spring and have the rest of the season to enjoy it.
Last year was my first visit and I thought it was worth every penny. With that said $500 would be getting towards the upper limit at this point in time.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:21 am

If this dialogue is about value, I think 500.00 is entirely within reason for a day spent with a person who comes to your place, educates you, and helps get and keep your vehicle going. You know, you can easily find attorneys, accountants, IT folks, doctors and other professionals almost anyplace you live in the U.S., but try finding someone who knows how to correctly work on the 35 year old and more mechanical systems that we all are enthralled with-much less who is willing to have you work with them. Second, it strikes me that what Colin does is a unique occupation. When I first saw reference to Colin's visits, I did not quite understand what people were talking about. I could not imagine a guy driving around the country, helping people work on their old VW's. When I got a handle on what was going on, my thought was: What a great idea! I want to support a person who has chosen this path to follow; certainly marching to a different drummer! The realities of life here dictates that a man has to make a living, and hopefully be able to put some money away for retirement and old age. Colin's work has a value to all of us who participate in this slightly offbeat interest. I am willing to accept whatever the rate is that he decides will enable him to continue his interesting journey.