Note:

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Note:

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:23 am

Honest, I have been having a gorgeous wonderful itinerary and meeting some excellent people. I have now hundreds of photographs and must must must post them and keep you all updated with the people I have been meeting. The dirth of posts comes down to some crazy driving, LA/Sacramento/San Francisco/Sacramento/Nevada/Eureka with a 245 mile hairpin endurance rally on US395/CA44/CA299, and this plucky loyal little cow with the shrieking monkey in the back has been just gittin'er done.

I shall, I shall, update you.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

sped372
IAC Addict!

Re: Note:

Post by sped372 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:34 am

I was wondering why so few posts this year... and chalked it up to your driving a[n even] slow[er] bus for this lap. Please fill us in when you can!
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:32 am

Hey, we understand. You've been a little busy.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:58 am

I've driven the 299. It's a doozy.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:27 pm

he really does exist. saw him myself no more than 90 minutes ago!

as usual I took no pics, but may write up the day when I finish processing all the data.

:tongue:
1979 California Transporter

bajafreaks
I'm New!

Post by bajafreaks » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:15 am

I'm finally getting around to posting since I just cant stop driving the westy since it now runs so AWESOME.
Colin came by wednesday and we had a good time/day, got her running right like she deserves to run, pulled the a/c system, got the wiring all dialed in, and did a few other misc. items while I tried to absorb a ton and half of knowledge in a 9 hour day my head was spinning when he left.
Thanks Colin your visit was greatly appreciated, I thank you and the westy (Benny) thanks you.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:43 am

bajafreaks wrote:I'm finally getting around to posting since I just cant stop driving the westy since it now runs so AWESOME.
Colin came by wednesday and we had a good time/day, got her running right like she deserves to run, pulled the a/c system, got the wiring all dialed in, and did a few other misc. items while I tried to absorb a ton and half of knowledge in a 9 hour day my head was spinning when he left.
Thanks Colin your visit was greatly appreciated, I thank you and the westy (Benny) thanks you.
I am wrapping up Portland calls today and Lucky Lab! then will be heading to Montana later tonight, with a pass-through Gorge-Runner territory. I have been getting kicked daily by the brown cow Chloe who just keeps shambling along, exhaust system drop #3 was the day before yesterday to get rid of a recurring leak at the stupid donut gasket area. (now shimmed with bajafreaks commemorative HVAC tape on the too-small exchanger repair pipes). Installed a "new" crankshaft pulley picked up in Albuquerque. Rubbed against the tins. Discovered that Mike had too long studs at the oil pump. Disassembled. Shortened studs. Still rubbed because the tins were still tweaked. Straightened tins. Painted tins and pulleys and reassembled. Ran out of orange ultra-RTV in the middle of Bridal Veil 50 miles from town with exhaust system all over the place. Met an embarrassed homeless family in another Chevy Cavalier.
"Get away from that man," she barked at her four year-old son.
"I want to see."
"No, you're bothering him."
No folks, I was not bothered by him, but by the country that allows this inequity.

Got the bus together, oh no, the "new" shiny black crankshaft pulley is slightly smaller than the correct doghouse "D" pulley, so the fan is now slower, I can hear less shriek and see more CHTs.
So, today, I have to get mentalQ-tip's bus sorted out (I have no idea why the fuel pump runs after the ignition is shut off), get a round "D" pulley, apologize to pj for not availing myself of his proffered hospitality (he let me drive his Thing, what a great open-air Volkswagen), go to the Lucky Lab where I hope to see Wildthings, and shamble to Montana . . .

A view of Carson Valley coming off the leeward flank of the Sierra Nevadas on my way to bajafreaks:

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:09 am

Did those asbestos donuts do the trick?
I have been running my non-doghouse pulley (had no idea there was such a thing!) for 3 years now without overheating. Perhaps if I had a gauge I too would fret, but the engine temps are usually nice (by feel after a run).
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:18 am

hambone wrote:Did those asbestos donuts do the trick?
I have been running my non-doghouse pulley (had no idea there was such a thing!) for 3 years now without overheating. Perhaps if I had a gauge I too would fret, but the engine temps are usually nice (by feel after a run).
There is little difference around town. Columbia Gorge headwind, yes. I am going to AlwaysVeedub in minutes to compare diameters and see about a replacement.

Asbestos were worse than useless. Too much slop between the repair pipe ends and the asbestos.
I remember doing these things on oem VWs. it was a difficult slide/tap fit onto the exchangers. These things? Hoola-hoop.
ColinDangItCan'tTheyMakeDimensionsCorrect?

thenexttownshend
I'm New!

Post by thenexttownshend » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:14 pm

Amskeptic wrote:Honest, I have been having a gorgeous wonderful itinerary and meeting some excellent people. I have now hundreds of photographs and must must must post them and keep you all updated with the people I have been meeting.
So your clearly to busy fixing vws all over the country to write a book about fixing them. What about a book based on your travels to fix them? The first buyers will probably be all the people you met and taught to fix them anyway!
-steve - 73 bus

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:38 pm

Hey now, it takes time. I can relate with vid of him the first year of his run, and much much more vid, and project not even begun to be tackled. Life happens.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:35 am

ruckman101 wrote:Hey now, it takes time. I can relate with vid of him the first year of his run, and much much more vid, and project not even begun to be tackled. Life happens.

neal
. . . still happening, too! Anyone want to heckle my customers for write-ups, be my guest. I am three in a row here in Minnesota then jet to Chicago in my flying brown cow bam three there too, then jet to Indiana from Bailey's Harbor Wisconsin it is fun, but Chloe is getting a little raspy.
Colin?!?!