Colin visits Utah

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

brandt
I'm New!

Colin visits Utah

Post by brandt » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:16 pm

This was my first visit from Colin. I didn't take any photos until the end. I wish I could have had this type of introduction back in 1994 as a 18 year old and first time bus owner. I bet it would have saved me a bunch of pain and money...

I was lucky. I got two days. We needed every second and we went over both days. Day 1 - Kitchen table mind warp. I took a VW Bus break for a few years and my mind was rusty. On the red bus ("Dutch Bus", 1978) we did a major tune up. Super slow valve adjustment by me. Swaped 009 distributor for a proper one. Compression test, all good, I was nervious... Forensics. As the daylight faded we switched over to the white bus ("Iran Bus", 1978) and got it to run after swapping out a leaky fuel pump and making wicked adjustments. Day 2 - A big day for Dutch Bus. Entire brake system checked out. Would have loved to use those new rear brake shoes Bus Depot sent me had the E-brake lever been installed on them... Fixed front caliper issues, new front flex hoses, new master cylinder, Colin lubed a million things up front. Steering box adjusted and filled, new steering coupler, new steering damper, Colin worked some magic on my wiper arms.

The bus feels so much better! Still a long list of little things but this visit puts the bus light years ahead.

After two days of 100 degree heat Colin took a shower under a can of Gumout. Something about a hot date with a piano. I think he was headed to Vegas via Kayenta & Page, AZ, Zion National Park, and St. George, UT. Hope he took some photos.

Good times. Thanks Colin!

Brandt
Bluff, Utah

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Re: Colin visits Utah

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:21 am

He can't help himself. And yes, you are never off the hook on the learning curve he ramps you up on to levels you didn't know you had. :thumbright:

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:13 am

brandt wrote:Hope he took some photos.
Brandt
Bluff, Utah
Did someone say "photos"?

After the Rocky Mountain traverse, I peeled down US 191 into Utah:

The approach to Bluff reminded me of the northbound approach to Maupin . . . sort of a "there's nothing here!"

Then a vista of town opens up on the last curve:

This is what Brandt gets to look at on his commute up the driveway:

It was hot, folks. He draped the garage with a tarp and a hanging fan:

I had a lovely campsite up the road and took a two mile walk in 80* evening heat with an almost full moon. Next morning, I took another one:

We had a full second day, slowed by the heat. Good fresh car underneath. In the scrupulously compiled maintenance records, the engine was subjected to a "crankcase flush" that would spell the end of a Type 1 engine. Marketing. Luckily, the aluminum shards in the drain plate (from a sloppy drain plug helicoil install) stayed put
This was an enthusiastic, focused, happy caretaker of his Volkswagen:

Drove off to Pahrump Nevada via a gorgeous bewitching intoxicating camera-abusing Utah evening to Arizona:

Oh there's more:

Mexican Hat, Brandt, I found it:

Such an amazing horizon:

Then somewhere late in the moonlight, I set up camp way way way below a railroad trestle and it was spooky glorious . . . daytime was rather more . . . pedestrian ; )
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:18 pm

I lived in Bluff for 2 months back in 1979.

I also got married at the Blue Mountain Dude Ranch in 1984. Time flies.

Nice country.
79 VW Bus

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:07 pm

Randy in Maine wrote:Nice country.
Amen.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:18 pm

When are you going to do a calendar with these shots? It would be nice to see them hanging on the wall.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:11 pm

Beautiful!
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

brandt
I'm New!

Post by brandt » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:47 pm

Randy in Maine wrote:I lived in Bluff for 2 months back in 1979.
It must have been July and August. These months always make me want to leave, too hot... What were you doing here in 1979?

And I forgot to add how Colin was eyeing my $0.85 hubcap puller. I tried to give it to him but he would have none of it. Somebody down the line should slip one in his toolbox when he isn't looking. He told me he's been thinking about getting an 11mm brake line wrench for the last thirty years, too.

Brandt

About 1995. Mexican Hat Rock, Utah