Itinerant Air-Cooled Colorado

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Itinerant Air-Cooled Colorado

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:36 am

After jtauxe Bluebird engine swap, I went down the hill to camp where it was the necessary 5* warmer. Pulled into an undeveloped industrial "parkway" and found a driveway entrance to a thoroughly not-yet-built industrial enterprise consisting of a tree:

but what a beautiful sky:

Next day, pmaggiore and I tackled Yellowbird2 without the able assistance of his kids from last year. Towards the end of the day, his friend Dave showed up with his Vanagon:

Lanval, please note: I am paid to sit around, in a director's chair no less:

Got to meet pmaggiore's NEW WIFE, with whom I got to share dinner overlooking the canyon in his NEW HOME chatting about his NEW JOB, but it looks like they are managing to deal with all that newness:

Drove down the hill in the darkness and watched the lights of Los Alamos do that spooky float in the night sky look as the road dropped below the plateau and rose up again across the valley. Even when I got on I-25 northbound, I could see the Los Alamos city lights hovering in the dark so far away. Found a gorgeous campsite in the scattered showers/moonlight near a ranch driveway at midnight. I had fun tripping the laser alarm so many times that I reckon the owners would be down there the next morning, "trimming the stupid bushes that kept triggering the alarm in the wind".

I only have three photographs of the Colorado calls, none of which include my esteemed customers (?) jimjxsn and soulful66.
This was a visitor at jimjxsn's house (last year was a baby deer):

Poor little guy gave us a non-plussed look and left, irritated. Apparently a well-meaning but stupid neighbor has been feeding the fox, promoting dependency and familiarity in all the wrong ways:

I was feeling pretty non-plussed myself, jimjxsn has a gorgeous blue/white bus with a white interior and a big fine fully functional sunroof.

It was good to see soulful66 and his wife and the old baby who is now a boy and his new baby, a gorgeous sunny one year-old who gave me some dazzling total smiles. Although we diagnosed a few electrical issues and fixed a few vacuum leaks and replaced the center pin kit ......
(only to see that in 1979, VW was cheaping out on the stupid bushings! look at how small they are!):

......... the real motivation for me to show up was the incredible as always apple pie ... a perfect send-off to my walkabout.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Colorado

Post by hambone » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:36 pm

That fox is nutty looking, cat/dog.
That's all I have. Next you'll be reporting from the Moon.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:24 pm

hambone wrote:That fox is nutty looking, cat/dog.
I find it graceful, form following function.
ColinBaldyLooking

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:45 am

Amskeptic wrote:Lanval, please note: I am paid to sit around, in a director's chair no less:
This I see as Colin on his 20th IAC tour in 2023, directing from a similar chair.

Colin "Now that torque has to be what? I'm not gonna tell ya sonny, you need to find out. Is it cold here? I'm cold. Where did I set my Starbucks?"
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:31 pm

Sylvester wrote: This I see as Colin on his 20th IAC tour in 2023, directing from a similar chair.
"Now I'm not gonna tell ya sonny,"
You are optimistic.

"Heh? Who are you? My what? My customizer? I don't have any customizers. My customer? Huh. I'll be damned.
Well? What are you standing around for? It's your house? Oh.
Hey, that's a nice Volkswagen you got there. I used to work on them ...
... I still do?"

jimjxsn
Getting Hooked!

Post by jimjxsn » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:48 pm

Thank you Colin!
I torqued the rocker arm nuts and readjusted the valves as instructed and the blue bus is running wonderfully.

We got tons done this year even though I had not given Colin a wish list before his visit. The memorable thing about this visit was that when we paused for lunch and I went inside to make some sandwiches, it was 5:30PM, oops…

Here are those crazy foxes hanging out in the yard. The light was dim so the photos aren't great.

'76 sunroof bus

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:10 am

jimjxsn wrote: Image[/url]
See? Why would anyone be a dentist?
Colin :cyclopsani:

(did it rain like hell after I left? It just dumped on me in Castle Rock. I-25 was down to 35-40 mph)